Quadrophenia due out in October

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
From Pete himself on thewho.com:

"WHAT I'M DOING EVERYDAY

I am shut away in my home studio at the moment working to restore the demos of Quadrophenia. Bob Pridden is doing surround-sound mixes of selected tracks. Jon Astley is remastering the original vinyl mix, and evaluating his own 1996 remix (the one where you can properly hear Roger's astonishing vocals). I am sitting in a pile of notes, desk diaries, photos (I took a lot of my own between 1971-1973 when Quadrophenia emerged), original lyrics and writing liner notes.

I am really enjoying this work. Bob's mixes are mind-blowing. My demos are among the best I've ever done, and include some real quirky tracks that didn't make it onto the final album. I still find studio work strange – I have to have the speakers very low in volume, not what I'm used to. This package, due in October if all goes well, is another Live at Leeds and Hull – or even another Lifehouse Chronicles – in the making. You are going to love it. I hope so, because I am missing this summer sunshine to get it completed on time.

In my recent interview with my friend Simon Garfield for INTELLIGENT LIFE, I professed some difficulty in my interaction with fans as I grow older. What is so wonderful about working on Quadrophenia is that back in 1970, all the way through to the recording in 1973, the primary challenge for me was to tell the story of the Who's fans and at the same time address the wayward creative needs of the band as individuals and artists. The Who, and Jimmy as a kind of model for one or all of our fans, really had developed a powerful symbiosis that deserved a project like Quadrophenia both to honour the mechanism and address why it started to fail almost a soon as it had begun

So I am enjoying working with the music, but I'm enjoying writing about it too."

The question is: what does "selected tracks" indicate? I pray that the full album will be mixed and not just some of the tracks. Still, this will be a great package if done right. But what will the format be? I'm guessing Blu-Ray, and I hope it's not just DVD-V.

Thanks for posting this, one of my favorite albums, can't wait for this. It would be nice to get the original quad mixes, if they were completed, for the flavor of the period in addition to the new mixes. I love the Quadrophenia outake on Odds and Sodds, great to know there are more tracks to be released.

Yes, thanks for this post. If there truely is a surround coming out for this, would be awesome as i really liked what they did with Tommy as the 5.1 opened everything up so much more, really good listen.
From what Pete said "Bob Pridden is doing surround-sound mixes of selected tracks, hpefully he means that some of the demo's have been selected to be in surround as well.

peter

"Selected tracks" may also mean that you get a bonus DVD with some extras, plus a few mixes of a few tracks and not the whole album. I will put that out there now, run, and hide. Feel free to use this post as reference a few months from now if it happens and the "we wuz robbed on that Quadrophenia set" thread gets started. :)

from thewho.com:

"The album is scheduled for release via Universal Music Catalogue on November 14th, 2011. The box set gives a unique insight into the creation of this landmark album and will feature a re-master of the original double album, Pete Townshend’s previously unheard demos including songs that didn’t make it onto the original album, an exclusive eight track 5.1 sound DVD, a deluxe hard-back book, previously unseen personal notes, photographs, memorabilia and other exclusive material that will be announced over the coming months.

‘Quadrophenia: The Director’s Cut’ will be the definitive version of the album and a must for any self-respecting fan of The Who and beyond.

To accompany the box set, double vinyl, 2-disc digi-pak and digital versions will also be released. Pre order now by CLICKING HERE "

Sorry. I was really excited about this package but the fact that the DVD only has 8 songs in surround screams "RIP-OFF" to me. But I don't know. I might get it eveventually. The problem is I'm already spending a lot of money on the Pink Floyd Dark Side and WWYH Immersion sets and Steven Wilson's Grace For Drowning, all of which contain the entire albums on Blu-Ray disc.

Hold on guys, these 8 tracks may be the only ones capable of being re-mixed in surround. Yes it stinks, but if that's the truth the people to blame are those responcible for the preservation of the original source material.

Far too much has been lost by the total disregard of the record company's etc in ensuring ALL of the masters and other elements etc are kept in stable conditions, and properly indexed for possible future use. Otherwise, what use are they?

I'm afraid we all know the music business, and record company's especially, are incompetant money grabing B*****ds who actually care nothing for the material that makes them their millions.....

OD

Pete did give us Tommy in surround, I don't see why he would truncate Quadrophenia to 8 songs unless there was a good reason. Am I naive? As its one of my favorite albums this box set does tempt me, but yikes the price is too high for my poor weak dollars. As usual we will have to wait, and be grateful for whatever gets thrown off the truck for us...

If its Universal I'll bet it will only be dullby release.....(n)

It may make it to $30 @ Best Buy pretty quick then. They're got one shot at the hard core Who fans and then it's over. Same as with that Tom Petty Anthology with the blu ray disc.

I have a good feeling about this one - remember Pete is a DVDA fan...........
now all cross your fingers and wait for a nice surprise.

Man, I hope you're right on this one Neil. 8 tracks on MLP 96/24 5.1 DVD-A is better than none at all, but still we want the whole album! (I hope that's the nice surprise)

Nah - Pete will be doing a home tour - visiting each buyer of the album and standing behind them at ciritical moments - singing live. So the stereo tracks will at least have rear sound lol.

I have a good feeling about this one - remember Pete is a DVDA fan...........
now all cross your fingers and wait for a nice surprise.

Just came across this picture. The label is hard to read, but I enlarged the jpeg in Photoshop and it looks like it says Disc Five "DVD-A"!!!

http://theseconddisc.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/quadrophenia-deluxe-box.jpg

BTW, the Amazon UK price is way cheaper for us in the US, especially after they deduct the VAT, which brings it down to 59 pounds (around $95, compared to the $147 on Amazon US).

Back