Quadrophenia due out in October

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All this Quad software is simply hype. I have hundreds of LP's, like Santana, Chicago, Steely Dan and Impulse jazz that won't light that lousy CD-4 radar light. Some radar! Q8's only play half of the sound at a time, so it takes me twice as long to listen to them. The only real Quad software is my pre-recorded cassette of Quadrophenia. That's Quad, right? I got the best results by pressing the mono button and connecting four speakers. Quadramonic rules!

Linda
:mad:@: Questioning Quad's validity

PS: We had a customer who bought a system, then went to the hardware store and bought ac wall plugs to attach to the speaker wire. It IS lamp cord, isn't it? Guess what happened when he plugged the speakers into the wall? It's no wonder many speaker manufacturers switched to fire retardant insulation in the late '70's.

Interesting article on the state of Matrix LPs in the '70s. I guess this is a telling tale of why there were no MCA Quad LP releases. Too bad they didn't just to Q8's until they switched to CD-4, but Pete says he didn't like the Doobie Brothers LP either. I bet he played it in SQ/QS mode, and not using a CD-4 demodulator.

The way we would approach that type of disc would be to do 2 discs in the set - but the DVDA on one & the DVDV on another, otherwise it would not make sense.
You could probably fit it all on one disc using Dullby, with a single 448kbps 5.1 stream set to downmix the surround to stereo of course but that would be crap.

Cannot (yet) confirm the tracks on the disc - will do so as soon as I am cleared to.

But can you confirm whether or not there's still only 8 tracks or whether it will now be the full album?

But can you confirm whether or not there's still only 8 tracks or whether it will now be the full album?

8 Tracks - it's called the "Quadrophenia EP" I think.
I'll check with Polydor in the morning & if they tell me it is cool to spill, then spill I will.....
What has been done does sound very good indeed - no doubt about it.
I also hope Polydor see sense and release it as a standalone disc too.

8 Tracks - it's called the "Quadrophenia EP" I think.
I'll check with Polydor in the morning & if they tell me it is cool to spill, then spill I will.....
What has been done does sound very good indeed - no doubt about it.
I also hope Polydor see sense and release it as a standalone disc too.

Thanks, Neil. It's still disappointing to know that only 8 songs are in 5.1. Quadrophenia to me is the ultimate Who record for 5.1 surround, but it still looks like an amazing package particularly with the book and 5.1 DVD. (It is DVD-A, right? I hope so)

Hey rtbluray - Cmon..... would Neil be involved if this wasn't DVD-A ;)

Disc five - DVD - 5.1 surround-sound mix
1. I Am The Sea
2. The Real Me
3. Quadrophenia
4. I've Had Enough
5. 5.15
6. Dr Jimmy
7. The Rock
8. Love Reign O'er Me

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...henia-the-directors-cut-boxset-128771568.html

So here are the 8 tracks. Good choices except they should've tacked on "I am the Sea" to the front of "The Real Me" and included another song as the 8th. I've never really considered "I am the Sea" to be an actual song, more like an introduction.

Disc five - DVD - 5.1 surround-sound mix
1. I Am The Sea
2. The Real Me
3. Quadrophenia
4. I've Had Enough
5. 5.15
6. Dr Jimmy
7. The Rock
8. Love Reign O'er Me

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...henia-the-directors-cut-boxset-128771568.html

So here are the 8 tracks. Good choices except they should've tacked on "I am the Sea" to the front of "The Real Me" and included another song as the 8th. I've never really considered "I am the Sea" to be an actual song, more like an introduction.

I agree. It's really seven tracks. Nonetheless, it is refreshing that "Quadrophenia", "I've Had Enough" and "The Rock" are included. It's also nice that tracks 1, 2 and 3 are together, as well as tracks 6, 7 and 8. These two sets of three tracks are hard to separate in my head. Though it's not the complete album, I'm starting to get psyched about this.

Some of the past posts here at QQ have mentioned that there was a Quadraphonic mix of "Quadrophenia" created in the 1970's. I wonder what ever happened to that and if it still exists?

Some of the past posts here at QQ have mentioned that there was a Quadraphonic mix of "Quadrophenia" created in the 1970's. I wonder what ever happened to that and if it still exists?

In the article I posted a link to earlier in the thread (http://www.richieunterberger.com/whoexc4.html), Ron Nevison talks about a quadraphonic mix that did exist. Whether or not it still does now, has not been disclosed to my knowledge.

Isn't the issue there that they don't have another song to include?

They've included everything where the masters were available in a suitable condition for a 5.1 mix.

I don't think that has been established as fact. According to the aforemetioned article, only some sound effects tracks were missing and the original 16 track multitracks with the music were still in existence for the 1996 remix. Of course, what may have happened to them between 1996 and now is up for speculation.

http://www.nakedeye-online.com/QuadrQuadrophenia interview.pdf

Check out this brand new interview with Pete. I've pasted the paragraph about the 5.1 mixing below:

A few years back, when you did the Tommy 5.1 mix, we talked about doing a similar treatment for Quadrophenia. Is there any reason why there there’s no full 5.1 mix of the entire album?
Back in 2003 I had high hopes for 5.1. It never really took off, except for DVD movies where it is now the standard format, and where we hear the finest audio production of orchestral music and everything else. Of course quadraphonic sound never took off in 1973 when the original Who album was released, so I wasn’t particularly surprised. Hi-fi, audiophile enthusiasm, is far too expensive a business for most people. The ratio of those who will listen in stereo on an iPod thingie to those who will listen in 5.1 is about 500:1 or worse. I wanted to establish whether there is a sufficient demand from fans for a complete 5.1 mix. If there is, we will do one in the coming spring of 2012 and make it available free via Torrent download (or similar) to buyers of the package this November. For me, Bob Pridden’s 5.1 mixes of the six tracks we selected represent the best sound mix of any Who recording I have ever heard. This is Quadrophenia the way it was meant by me to sound. However, it doesn’t sound as heavy and aggressive as the stereo mixes Ron Nevison and I did in August 1973. If a gentler and more expansive 5.1 version like this had been released in 1973 it might not have pleased Who fans quite so much. They had been exposed to Live At Leeds by then. But to make a comparison, it’s interesting to look back on how gentle the original Tommy album sounds compared to the most powerful live performances of it.

So I made a new Facebook petition. Get to liking it! We need to have some way of letting Pete know that we want a FULL 5.1 mix ON DISC!

I mentioned your petition today on www.amazon.co.uk 's page for the box set release. There are a couple of forum discussions about whether to but due to the lack of full 5.1 album...hope it garners some interest!

At first I was really pissed off at Pete when he announced he was basically testing the waters with a partial release. This is a far cry from the missing multi-tracks story that was floating around previously. But then I reread his comments and saw that he's planning on making the entire MC release (if it happens) available to those that bought the box set. At least this way we get part of the album to listen to until they finish the rest of it. Great news ultimately, again, if it happens.

http://www.nakedeye-online.com/QuadrQuadrophenia interview.pdf

Check out this brand new interview with Pete. I've pasted the paragraph about the 5.1 mixing below:

So I made a new Facebook petition. Get to liking it! We need to have some way of letting Pete know that we want a FULL 5.1 mix ON DISC!

Sounds pretty boneheaded to me. Testing the waters with a $150 incomplete box? And if enough people buy it, he might let them download the rest? If enough people don't buy it ...

Have Pete and the folks at Universal had a look at the economy lately?

Back