flac to DVD-a

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gloria

Hi!
Is it possible to burn flac to DVD-a? I have a hig resolution file of 1 gB in flac. If I convert to wav it will not be more than 450 mB?! It is supposed to be bigger when converting flac to wav. How can I do this?

Hi!
Is it possible to burn flac to DVD-a? I have a hig resolution file of 1 gB in flac. If I convert to wav it will not be more than 450 mB?! It is supposed to be bigger when converting flac to wav. How can I do this?

Hey Gloria.
FLAC should be between 50 & 40% of the original file size, so a 1Gb FLAC file ought to expand out to around 1.5 - 2Gb uncompressed.
If it is coming out at 450Mb then there is something wrong somewhere.......

Quick question: What program or programs do we use to convert one Multi-Channel Flac file to single multiple .WAV files? And, does the program still keep the same Bit / kHz as original file without messing with it? From there with single Wavs I can make Multi-Channel DVD-Audio disc. Thanks.

Ok, got Foobar 2000 to convert to single wav. From here I suppose we use Audiomuxer or something else?

EDIT: AudioMuxer makes my virus protection software go crazy when I try to install. AudioMuxer is out and will not be used...

Ok, got the problem solved with Adobe Audition. Open Multi-Channel Wav in File mode. Your one file will show up as Multiple files. From there put them into MultiTrack mode and onto their own track. In surround encoder export files, throwing away LFE and Center as nothing will be on them.

If there is another way to do this, let us know. Thanks.

Ok, got Foobar 2000 to convert to single wav. From here I suppose we use Audiomuxer or something else?

EDIT: AudioMuxer makes my virus protection software go crazy when I try to install. AudioMuxer is out and will not be used...
I don't know why AudioMuxer would set off your virus protection, other than it does download and install components.
I use AM all the time for file conversions and building AVCHD ISO's.

I don't know why AudioMuxer would set off your virus protection, other than it does download and install components.
I use AM all the time for file conversions and building AVCHD ISO's.

Yes, according to "Webroot SpySweeper" software the installer program was trying to download and install from a different source and rename certain files. It was probably cool to use, but to be on the safe side I didn't use it. I do have another version that I will try.

Right. AudioMuxer is basically a front end for several applications. Ply4it did a fine job of putting it together and is always open to changes/bug fixes.
No matter what version you install, it will ask to upgrade to the newest version, which I highly recommend. Latest is 0.9.3.7, I believe.

Anyone try this yet? They also have a DTS converter than include DTS encoder. Not sure if its a scam as its the same example screen capture as the flac to DVD-A image, which does not seem to have enough options anyway.

http://www.idealshare.net/dts-converter.html

I tried using it and could only manage to get a stereo version of the multi-channel flac files I used. It's possible I was doing something wrong and it does work, but I made a couple of attempts and only successfully got the downmixed stereo versions.
The description of the product on that page sounds VERY suspicious. The author is a very "western" looking blonde by the name of "Smile Harney." The product description is obviously written by someone with a marginal grasp of the English language, which would not necessarily mean the product isn't valid, but it does make one wonder if they aren't just promising the moon in hopes people will download their product.

If you have either Cubase or Nuendo from Nuendo 5.5 on or Cubase 6.5 on, then these DAW now support direct work with FLAC natively - no need to even decode them, so import the M/c FLAC and off you go - you can make a single long multichannel PCM and export the timecodes for track markers as a CSV file (use 29.97fps or 30fps, depending on your authoring tool).
However, if your player can deal with FLAC then why bother in the first place?
Oppo BDP-105 and BDP-103 handle FLAC natively so these can be played either
A - off a USB HDD plugged into the back as an NTFS formatted drive (this is what I am doing - one for stereo and one for surround (Quad/5.1 etc)
B - write a data disc and access the contents in the same way you would a data HDD - see screenshots attached.
Copy of One.jpg
Two.jpg
Three.jpg
Four.jpg
Copy of Five.jpg
Six.jpg

Hope this helps

Thanks for the info, I'm shopping for a 105 of possibly may buy a 205 in the spring, for now my old Denon player requires a DVD-r and does not read Flac

If you have either Cubase or Nuendo from Nuendo 5.5 on or Cubase 6.5 on, then these DAW now support direct work with FLAC natively - no need to even decode them, so import the M/c FLAC and off you go - you can make a single long multichannel PCM and export the timecodes for track markers as a CSV file (use 29.97fps or 30fps, depending on your authoring tool).
However, if your player can deal with FLAC then why bother in the first place?
Oppo BDP-105 and BDP-103 handle FLAC natively so these can be played either
A - off a USB HDD plugged into the back as an NTFS formatted drive (this is what I am doing - one for stereo and one for surround (Quad/5.1 etc)
B - write a data disc and access the contents in the same way you would a data HDD - see screenshots attached.

You can also play flac files from your PC over ethernet.

I keep getting errors burning the hidden Meddle 5.1 to DVD-Audio in OSX, have not had the issue with other albums, anyone got any ideas? I usually just make a DVD image from WAVs using DVD Audiofile and burn in Toast but that isn't playing the two times I did it, just shows empty VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders when I put in my older Oppo (the pre-FLAC 970 model). When I try to do it in Imgburn the app keeps crashing when authoring the DVD. My only hypothesis is the Echoes track is too long but well without that I may as well just listen to the DTS version which I did get to burn okay. Thanks in advance!

Back