Help Me Troubleshoot My Car Audio Problem

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Odys

701 Club - QQ All-Star
I have a 2009 Hyundai Genesis with the Lexicon 7.1 surround system. Over the last year or so I've been having problems with no audio through the system when the car starts. It's intermittent, I never know when it's going to happen. The only thing that fixes the problem is to let the car sit for a period of time, the next time I start it the audio system will be fine. Simply turning the car on and off doesn't fix the problem, it has to sit for a while.

Sometimes the display screen will show info, such as radio station numbers, and will allow me to scroll through them, other times there are no numbers. Adjusting volume, changing between radio and CD/DVD player does nothing.

I've brought it in for service several times, they can't figure out what is wrong. The first time they replaced the amplifier, which seemed to help for a couple of months, then it started again. The second time they replaced the head unit. That seemed to work well for a few months, but it's started again. It doesn't do it as often, maybe once every couple of weeks, but it's really annoying when it does.

I love the car and the audio system despite this issue. I've got about 12,000 miles left on my factory warranty and I'd like to get it sorted out before it expires. Any suggestions?

Try and disconnect the battery and let it sit. Then reconnect. If that works "for another two months", then something in the processor circuitry in the amp/unit is hanging up. I had a Toyota 4Runner that would do the same thing with the XM Radio. It would not output sound until I shut off the truck and started it again. It got to the point where I had to remove the "+" battery cable and then it worked for quite some time.

Can't think of anything else at this moment.

Didja get the Six or the Turbo 4? I'm a Tiburon owner myself (yep, got Surround Sound in it too!) but I'm 95% enamoured with the styling of the Jenny. Test drove one a while back and loved how gutsy the half dozen is. I was unaware they could come with 7.1 from the factory - shows how good THAT salesman was! If only the quarter window didn't dip down like it does. If the quarter window was like the Tibby, I'd be sold.

(Sorry for being completely useless about the sound system. Uh....... Do what Jon said!)

Thanks Jon, I'll give that a try.

Q-Eight: I have the sedan, sounds like you're describing the coupe. The sedan came with either a six or an eight, I went with the six. Here's a link to the review of the 7.1 system it came with. People think I'm crazy when I tell them this is the main reason I bought the car, but I'm sure the people on this forum understand.

http://www.hemagazine.com/Lexicon_Hyundai_Genesis_Audio_System

Thanks Jon, I'll give that a try.

Q-Eight: I have the sedan, sounds like you're describing the coupe. The sedan came with either a six or an eight, I went with the six. Here's a link to the review of the 7.1 system it came with. People think I'm crazy when I tell them this is the main reason I bought the car, but I'm sure the people on this forum understand.

http://www.hemagazine.com/Lexicon_Hyundai_Genesis_Audio_System

This vehicle is starting to interest me! How does the 7.1 system deal with 5.1 source material?

I have a 2009 Hyundai Genesis with the Lexicon 7.1 surround system. Over the last year or so I've been having problems with no audio through the system when the car starts. It's intermittent, I never know when it's going to happen. The only thing that fixes the problem is to let the car sit for a period of time, the next time I start it the audio system will be fine. Simply turning the car on and off doesn't fix the problem, it has to sit for a while.

Sometimes the display screen will show info, such as radio station numbers, and will allow me to scroll through them, other times there are no numbers. Adjusting volume, changing between radio and CD/DVD player does nothing.

I've brought it in for service several times, they can't figure out what is wrong. The first time they replaced the amplifier, which seemed to help for a couple of months, then it started again. The second time they replaced the head unit. That seemed to work well for a few months, but it's started again. It doesn't do it as often, maybe once every couple of weeks, but it's really annoying when it does.

I love the car and the audio system despite this issue. I've got about 12,000 miles left on my factory warranty and I'd like to get it sorted out before it expires. Any suggestions?

The best answer I've ever seen for this was found on the Genesis forum:
http://www.genesisowners.com/hyundai-genesis-forum/showpost.php?p=62182&postcount=95

Basically, the car needs to reset, like a computer that has locked up. Just turning it off won't do it; it has to be off for a few minutes. People have been able to force a reset by pulling the appropriate fuse and then re-seating it in its slot.

I had a Genesis for 2 1/2 years and had the problem three or four times myself; in every case, leaving it off for a few minutes solved it. I've had an Equus since early January (which also has the Lexicon 7.1 audio system) and haven't had the problem yet; I don't know if they found a solution or not, but there have been no Equus complaints regarding this thus far. OF course, the car has only been in America since the last week of December...

Superbly. It maintains the distinctive sound presence, but generates the fill-in sound for the 7.1 system as well. The end result is a sound that is richer and more full on most recordings; however, some things sound better in 5.1. You always have the option of turning off the surround processing on a 5.1 recording, at which point it will just play it back in 5.1 surround without generating the two middle speaker tracks.

It also does wonders with mono sound sources; the surround processing gives an immersive mono sound without attempting to generate fake stereo or multi-channel.

As I said earlier, I had the system in a Genesis for 2 1/2 years before getting an Equus with the same system; I love it. I thought that Acura had the best surround audio in any vehicle, but the Lexicon surpasses it. My only complaint: the center channel often seems to be a little too weak. I wish the Equus had a center channel volume adjust as the Acura does.

Thanks cliffbig. Good info to know. I'll have to check on that Genesis Owners forum too. And I agree wholeheartedly on your description of the Lexicon system, you said it a lot better than I could have!

Back