PYE 4d Discography

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ha ha ha, Max lives!!!!! LOL

Didn't he move to Australia? I'm so sorry LOL

Hey guys, I'm still pretty much of a "newbie" to surround music, as I just started collecting surround mixes last year. Just wanted to say, oxforddickie, your blog is a treasure trove!! I'm amazed. I was wondering if anybody knows if the quad mix of "The Captain and me" is out there somewhere, and (not sure one exists) of "Toulouse Street" (both Doobie Brothers albums, but I'm sure I don't need to mention that).

(It may be on your blog, I didn't go through all posts yet).

All four albums were available in one form or another, non on the blog at the moment though. I do have the first three from Q4's here, (and the fourth on a DTS-CD from a CD-4 lp) but as they were released by someone else i'm rather loathed to releasing them without their ok. Will try and find out who did them....

OD

I own both Toulouse Street and Captain and Me on CD-4 LP's. Ebay and used record stores are where they will be found. It is hit and miss, in that most Quad LP's are rare these days. Of course, you'll need a special phono cartridge and demodulator to play these. I'd expect there are digital conversions out there somewhere on DVD-A. Again, it's hit and miss in finding them. Captain and Me is available on DVD-A in a different surround mix. Although it was released in 2001, it is out of print and a pricey collectable

Linda
Hey guys, I'm still pretty much of a "newbie" to surround music, as I just started collecting surround mixes last year. Just wanted to say, oxforddickie, your blog is a treasure trove!! I'm amazed. I was wondering if anybody knows if the quad mix of "The Captain and me" is out there somewhere, and (not sure one exists) of "Toulouse Street" (both Doobie Brothers albums, but I'm sure I don't need to mention that).

(It may be on your blog, I didn't go through all posts yet).

Thanks Linda! Yeah, I don't have any of the original equipment... So I guess I'd have to depend on conversions already out there. I've already pre-ordered the Japanese re-release of the 2001 5.1 mix that's coming on SACD in September, looking forward to it!

I am not sure that this LP should be in this site
But I do not know how to start a new thread

This is a unmarked QS Quad from PYE

Golden Hour
Cyril Stapleton
The Big bands Back
Recorded at Fairfield Hall Croydon UK. 1972 (not where I live in Melbourne Australia)
GH 531

Some body please get it and tell me what you thing

Golden Hour
Cyril Stapleton
The Big bands Back
Recorded at Fairfield Hall Croydon UK. 1972 (not where I live in Melbourne Australia)
GH 531

why not upload a track or two somewhere so that people will not have to possibly waste their money

I am sorry but you are talking to an old Quaddie
I have no idea on how to do it or if I have system to do it
But I don,t think it will cost a lot

So, I'm going to contribute to reviving an old thread and point out that Dutton has had access to Pye master tapes in the past, for instance issuing the first stereo release of John Barbirolli's 1957 recording of Mahler's 1st Symphony. I don't know if they'd be interested in looking at their quad work as well...

So, I'm going to contribute to reviving an old thread and point out that Dutton has had access to Pye master tapes in the past, for instance issuing the first stereo release of John Barbirolli's 1957 recording of Mahler's 1st Symphony. I don't know if they'd be interested in looking at their quad work as well...

That would be fabulous! I'd love to hear the Ray Davies (Button Down Brass) albums in Quad, more so on SACD.

I have just been playing
Ken Moule
Top Hat White Tie & Tails PYE QS
A very good surround sound
Also I forgot to say that the English Pye
records will not play on my Laser T/Table
as they have a red colour in the vinyl
It only plays black

That would be fabulous! I'd love to hear the Ray Davies (Button Down Brass) albums in Quad, more so on SACD.

Some of the Ray Davies made it to cd with the encoding intact. Several Pye titles have made it out in QS.

Golden Hour
Cyril Stapleton
The Big bands Back
GH 531

Hi. rustyandi

I thought I remembered this LP so I looked through my boxes of LP`s, I have found it I have it so I will come back with my findings.
Bill..

Golden Hour
Cyril Stapleton
The Big bands Back
GH 531

Hi. rustyandi

I have listened to it 2 time through the SM it is a big jazz band live concert it has a why'd horse shoe shape stage, drums in the middle instruments front L & R and distinct instruments in the back channels L & R which play off each other & the crowd in the backs with that concert hall sound about it.
I am going to stick my head out & say this is a unmarked QS Quad from PYE

pye.jpg

PS. I have listened to it once more and the more I do the more I'm enjoying it, if you like Big Jazz Band music this is quite lively.

Last edited:
As an update to this thread, Some years ago I compiled a list of what Pye recordings and identify which titles have a quadraphonic notation on them. The link is provided on the rumors discography.
http://www.surrounddiscography.com/quaddisc/Pye4D.htm.
Not that I dispute anyone's opinion on titles that they believe are quad but have no indication on them, it is just that further research like information from the folks directly involved has not surfaced as of yet.
I do find it curious as to why Pye was running a campaign promoting quad and that a 4D Series release would issue a quad recording with no indication on it. It is probable that the information did not make it to the cover artist in time.
The other problem is the Japan issues that have an OBI strip that indicates 4 channel but no indication of the cover or record labels. Those make me just as curious.

rustyandi, a fellow QQ member provided a listening evaluation on some Pye titles that can be found here
http://www.surrounddiscography.com/quaddisc/quadpye.htm

Last edited:
It's also interesting that Pye, with its stable of artists who were on the pop charts in the 70's, opted to release only easy listening albums in their 4D series. I have a number of the Pye 4D albums, and they sound great. But I think they limited themselves unnecessarily to a specific genre of music.

I came across this story in the March 13 1976 issue of Billboard while doing some research recently - it's not definitive, but it makes it sound like everything Pye did was QS quad, and that they just dropped the QS notation for most of '74/'75 before reinstating it in 1976..

pye.jpg

If Pye did release unmarked quad recordings, it would be nice to know which titles were released that way. One advantage QS has over SQ is its compatibility with, and presentation of the soundstage, when played back on standard stereo systems. QS is also more mono-compatible than SQ, making QS more suitable for broadcast. Pye chose well when they opted for QS. But I'm not partial...

Back