PANASONIC 44 SERIES RE 8860 8 Track Receiver - Speaker cable?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quadrasonic

Over the weekend I picked up a vintage Panasonic 44 Series RE 8860 4 Channel 8-Track Receiver at a local thrift shop for $4.98. I can say that everything lights up when plugged in, so am hopeful that it's in working condition. What I'm wondering is ... what speaker cable I should use for testing? There is only a single plug for each speaker and my current stereo speakers need attachments for left and right. Hopefully there's a very simple (and cheap) solution to this. Any assistance with this question would be greatly appreciateted. Thanks.

Welcome to QQ.

Are you able to post a picture of the speaker terminal area?

It almost sounds like they used RCA plugs for the speakers. That unit originally came with four matched speakers and Panasonic probably wanted to make it as simple as possible for the customer.

If they are RCAs, you will have to get some matching plugs and solder the wires from your speakers to them, +to the center pin and - to the surrounding outside connection.

Doug

Yes, they are RCA plugs. Welcome to QQ, Quadrasonic. Your location isn't listed. I assume there is a Radio Shack nearby. They used to sell speaker cable with RCA (phono) plugs on each end. I used to make my own cables. Now, I'm either too lazy or not interested in smelling rosin core solder.

If you make the cables yourself, be sure to connect each wire to the same connection on each end of the cable. The center pin on the RCA plug is the +, or positive terminal. Most speaker wire has a white line or rib on one of the two wires. Some electrical wire/lamp cord also has those markings. Failing to maintain the proper polarity, at least in a stereo pair, would result in the bass being reduced or cancelled altogether. If you've never made cables before, don't forget to thread the wire through the RCA plug's cover before soldering. Otherwise, the unfortunate cover will have nowhere to go. LOL!!

Linda
Wiring Witch

Thanks so much for the quick replies. I do live very close to a Radio Shack, so will run down there and see what's available. Thanks again!

And be very careful not to short the two RCA terminals together, don't want to short out the outputs on that oldie!

Yoohoo, Mr. Ford automotive quad tape player (quadrasonic), you are going to let us know how it works out, right?

And I have never, ever forgotten to thread the wire through the RCA cover first. Also, I invented the internet and quadraphonics all in one day. Yeah, that's the ticket!

Doug

I am going to let you know how it's worked out. I picked up the cable at Radio Shack and tested the receiver. All speaker jacks are in working order, AM and FM work. Unfortunately the 8-Track doesn't work. Ah well. I do love the look of this receiver. Especially the toggle arm with target for the four speakers. Here are a couple photos of the receiver to go along with this post. Thanks again for all the help!

panasonicre8860front.jpgpanasonicre8860back.jpg

I happened to be scrolling through the neighborhood and came across your posting. From what I see, this system is very similar to the RE-8840 (I own three of them). Concerning the 8-track, does the 8-track player pull out? Reason I ask is that 8840's have a removable 8-track player, as it was designed to be inserted into an optional car bracket/amplifier. From what I can see, it looks like your player is built into the system. Also looks like your 8860 has jacks for quad headphones (8840 doesn't have those). Good possibility on the 8-track is a faulty drive belt. I think I had to replace them on my systems.

I happened to be scrolling through the neighborhood and came across your posting. From what I see, this system is very similar to the RE-8840 (I own three of them). Concerning the 8-track, does the 8-track player pull out? Reason I ask is that 8840's have a removable 8-track player, as it was designed to be inserted into an optional car bracket/amplifier. From what I can see, it looks like your player is built into the system. Also looks like your 8860 has jacks for quad headphones (8840 doesn't have those). Good possibility on the 8-track is a faulty drive belt. I think I had to replace them on my systems.

Thanks for your post. As you guessed, the 8-track doesn't pull out. I do appreciate the additional information about the drive belt!

Sorry to have not posted earlier. I still have the receiver, but haven't had it worked on.

Back