Sgt. Pepper in Quad--Was Only Half the Album Mixed in Quad?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sgt peppers.PNG

Here's 4 channels of the opening track. Ill write more later, Its not from some 'computer game remix' or anything, its from a 4 track tape. Ive had it for 12 years as a lot of beatles collectors would have. Perhaps this is what Steve heard at Capitol

I thought I read somewhere, likely on QQ that Bert Whyte (Audio Magazine) had a test copy SQ encoded of the album.But it was only one side and for whatever reason they did not finish the quad remix of the album.

One of those quads that shoulda been, a huge quad injection one would think.

They might have used the 4 track things I came across, about 12 years ago I made a quad mix of the tracks, using reverb and other pasery trickery's to create a reasonable Quad mix from the 4 tracks.
Although we have some of the tracks now in surround (Love and the new BluRay set) Itd be nice if EMI just made a special 5.1 mix, I mean they have all the orginal 4 track tapes that were used to create a 8 track machine, they can pull all of those (which they did with 'love' ) and create a real surround version

When the album was released in mid 1967, quadraphonics had not yet happened. So the 4-track could not have been intended for a quad mix.

They were doing bounce and copy techniques between two 4-tracks.

When the album was released in mid 1967, quadraphonics had not yet happened. So the 4-track could not have been intended for a quad mix.

They were doing bounce and copy techniques between two 4-tracks.

On the 25th of April. 1973 the masters were signed out for a "Quad Remix" , this is at a time of course when EMI was investing in their quad issue/re-issue program.

On the 25th of April. 1973 the masters were signed out for a "Quad Remix" , this is at a time of course when EMI was investing in their quad issue/re-issue program.

True, but they used the stereo master tape, undoubtedly for fake quad mix.

True, but they used the stereo master tape, undoubtedly for fake quad mix.

Any and all tracks, be they 2 or 4 would be pulled for any quad remix. The engineer has all options and must access what is in storage for his or her mixes , in this case a 4 channel Remix.
A quad remix does not happen if it differs to much in any way from a stereo master that has proven itself with the purchasing public .(this could be the reason why it was withdrawn/or rejected )

Back