What is the story behind your Avatar

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are so many songs that quote others. At the risk of hi-jacking this thread, Led Zeppelin took the intro of Stairway from Spirit and "working from seven to eleven every night" from Moby Grape, both are acknowledged by them as influences. They were sued successfully by Willie Dixon. How about Lennon's appropriation of Chuck Berry's "here come old flattop..." in Come Together? Morris Levy temporarily got an album out of Lennon for plaigarising "Chuuk." Levy owned the publishing rights to "You Can't Catch Me." Harrison's My Sweet Lord/He's So Fine debacle is well documented. I've heard PDQ Bach quote many of the masters and they never sue. why? lol!!

Linda
Although U2 did release a song called "Beautiful Day" and it does have the lyric "It's a Beautiful Day", in it, it isn't about the group.

I want to mention that It's a Beautiful Day's debut album is also very good. It has their best known song on it, "White Bird" and it is a stunning, beautiful song. I remember the first time I heard it and I knew I HAD to get the record.

A tidbit about this album - Deep Purple stole the main theme from "Bombay Calling" and used it in their song, "Child in Time" on the album "Deep Purple In Rock"

Doug

I grew up in Chicago and live there, and between the Pacific Northwest & California. Over the years, I always used to see their LP covers in record stores but paid no attention. A lot of the LP's that I bought back in the day (late 70's early 80's) were based on how the album cover looked, not what was beneath them. This is how I discovered a lot of bands, some of which became well known. Getting back to "It's A Beautiful Day", I never took the chance to listen to them like I did with Jefferson Airplane". I guess, I must have miss out on a great artist. :)

Actually, if a person wasn't from California and didn't experience "White Bird" when it was on the radio, it would be understandable why one might not be aware of It's a Beautiful Day because they were kind of under the radar compared to the Airplane or Grateful Dead.

They were equally as good, if not better, though. And that's coming from me who has always been a huge Airplane fan (well, I'm not huge - tall but not fat - but I always liked them a lot).

Doug

I don't think there is any risk of hijacking this thread. It has pretty much already happened. \:^)

Oh well, as long as most of the hijacks have some kind of link to an avater...

The Power Of the Marrying Maiden!

Doug

My avatar the open-top box disc jacket of the 1978 MCA DiscoVision release of the movie "Earthquake". I collect DiscoVision and have almost every disc MCA released, including some single-sided "floppy" test pressings from 1976 as well as a catalog from 1972 made for their first public showing. The print of Earthquake they
used for the disc was the mono optical Sensurround version so it has the control tones on it.
Have you ever cleaned the dead sides of these early discs to find the hidden treasures. I did a few a long time ago. Can't remember all of them but one was designed to be played in a car dealership. Don't remember what model.
Phil.

Have you ever cleaned the dead sides of these early discs to find the hidden treasures. I did a few a long time ago. Can't remember all of them but one was designed to be played in a car dealership. Don't remember what model.
Phil.

Oh yeah, dead sides are half the fun of DiscoVision - my most treasured dead side is a 1979 auto industry TV and Radio promo disc that says if everyone got rid of their car and purchased a 1980 model year car we'd completely eliminate our dependence on foreign oil! It was shot in Albuquerque, NM, where I grew up so its neat seeing the city back then - gray and smoggy as I remember it. Another great dead side is Side 1 of "Sweet Charity" which was never mastered fully (except as a floppy test pressing) and I have all 3 CLV sides (all as dead sides) of "Bullet" which was never released by MCA DiscoVision as well as one CLV side of "East Of Eden", another title never issued, although its in the 1978 Silver Catalog. Oh, and a Columbia Pictures Richard Prior concert film that was never issued (or announced) either - and its an experimental CAA (Constant Angular Acceleration) Extended Play disc. CAA Extended Play aka Zoned CAV, was used later by Pioneer on all Extended Play releases to get rid of crosstalk that plagued CLV titles. Of course, Pioneer still called it CLV so that consumers wouldn't be confused.

Did you ever read the newsletter/magazine "Disc Deals" back in the mid 1980's?

Here's a larger version of my avater so you can actually see what the record player looked like:

EarlyRecordPLayer2-473x356-custom.jpg

I was going to put it in my original post but there is a time limit on editing.

Doug

My first car was my 1970 Torino Cobra. It was given to me by my best friend when I got engaged to his sister while home on leave from the Navy. The relationship didn't even last until I got home 6 months later, but I still have the car!

FYI - My current Avatar is Gerald Bostock of Thick as a Brick/TAAB2 fame. He looks spookily like me (or my twin brother even more) at that age. :yikes

Silly question....how does one change their Avatar? I went with the stock one when I joined here years back and wouldn't mind a more personalized version. I don't see it anywhere on the "About Me" page??? John

At the top right - to the right of "My Profile" is "Settings". You can change it in there....

Don't y'all love VBulletin....

Mine is of the main knob on my Bode Frequency Shifter - my fave Moog Modular module. I've used it for years on various forums and it has left the door open for someone to call me "a big knob" in a heated discussion - but to everyone's credit, no one has walked through.

An old thread, but interesting.

Mine's concocted from the quad sticker on an LP, I don't remember which one but I think it's a CD-4 (could be Tubular Bells like the one in this photo). I hadn't seen it on many LPs, but as soon as I saw it I thought 'avatar.' Guess I like it because it's different, and less than obvious at first glance.

Built up the "sound waves" piece-by-piece in Photoshop and made a GIF out of them somehow. Probably couldn't do it again if I had to.

Mark Z

tubular_bells_2210.jpg

Back