Quad LP/Tape Poll Manchester, Melissa - Better Days & Happy Endings [CD-4/Q8]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the Quadraphonic release of Melissa Manchester - Better Days and Happy Endings

• 10: Great sound, mix, music

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 5 Fairly mediocre everything

• 1: Why did they bother?

• Total voters

EMB

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this Arista release from 1976, Melissa Manchester's "Better Days and Happy Endings"

Originally available on a CD-4 Quadradisc and Q8 tape

Melissa Better Days.jpg
Melissa Better Days.jpg

Side 1:

1. Happy Endings
2. You Can Make It All Come True
3. Better Days
4. My Sweet Thing
5. Come In From The Rain

Side 2:

1. Rescue Me
2. Just You And I
3. Stand Up Woman
4. Good News
5. Sing, Sing, Sing

ED :)

Last edited by a moderator:
"Hello again, good old friend of mine.." This is a killer album! Great songwriting from the distaff side. Nice Quad mix in it's CD-4 glory. This rates a 9 or 10. I like her other CD-4 Melissa a bit better. I saw her live several times.

Linda
"I'm a sucker for happy endings."

I never could get over the fact that her face and voice were a part of the 1972 comedy album NATIONAL LAMPOON'S RADIO DINNER, as nasty a (heh) lampooning and deflating of rock stars (Lennon, Dylan, Baez) and Ravi Shankar (or Indian music in general) as it was of Nixon, Agnew, and other rotten things.

I'm not really a fan of this kind of lite femme music, though her singing's pleasant enough. Agree, too, that MELISSA is the better album. Given the tasteful mix and the material, this one gets a 6, the mix giving the songs their space.

I found the two Melissa Q8s in the cutouts long ago and gave them a spin in my Panasonic Q8 player that was installed in my car at the time. There were actually a few tunes on this LP I got to like a lot, although I would never have even heard them had the tape not been quad.

As I recall, some of these tunes really made me cringe, but I really like "Better Days", "Come In From The Rain", and "Just You And I". There are some excellent tunes on her first album as well. You can make a real nice quad disc taking the best tracks off each album.

Although the album didn't sell a lot--at the time, considered modest at best--it did have four (count 'em!) chart singles: "Just You And I" (which made the Top 40), "Better Days" and "Rescue Me" (#71 & 78 in Billboard, respectively, pop; but #3 Adult Contemporary for "You And I" and #9 for "Better Days"; "Happy Endings" went to AC #33, no pop position).

Melissa's career was obviously geared toward AC and mild pop music--no blues or rock noise to be heard (unless buried on albums I've not checked out completely). For me, "Midnight Blue" (from MELISSA) is as memorable as she gets for me, everything else just the usual pop blather. Even in quad this is tough listening....

UPDATE: Ed already had a poll thread for this but it was not being picked up by Garry's poll software, probably because of title wording. Hopefully I fixed it.

Back