Rick Wakeman - No Earthly Connection CD-4

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Neil, you're hyper knowledgeable, so you're probably on the mark. Still, I had exactly the same reaction as jdmack when I read your post. I LIVED in the Quad bins and don't recall this. Can you provide some details?

Linda

Does this exist? I hadn't heard about it and it's not in Mark Anderson's quad discography.

Neil, you're hyper knowledgeable, so you're probably on the mark. Still, I had exactly the same reaction as jdmack when I read your post. I LIVED in the Quad bins and don't recall this. Can you provide some details?

Linda

Not to derail, but Linda, when did retailers stop putting quad releases in their own section and just throw them in with the regular stereo releases? I ask because according to this AES paper I have posted on my site - and written by E. Torrick, one of the co-inventors of SQ - it was the combining the inventory of stereo and quad that really did quad in with the record companies - the paper talks about this in the 2nd paragraph of the last page.
http://issuu.com/disclord/docs/multichannel-history-torrick?mode=embed

Most record stores in Chicago and Milwaukee maintained Quad bins well through the '70's and even beyond for some. Of course, some smaller retailers didn't bother with Quad at all. I have visited record/CD stores in many cities and countries, but these two metro areas are where I'd shopped the most. Today, that's still true, although there are now woefully few retailers.

I'm headed off to Westmont, a Chicago 'burb. Remember When Records is having a going out of businesss sale. A store specializing in '50's, 60's and 70's, CD & Vinyl, new and used. They had a Quad bin, albeit all used product for years. Picture a store the size of a 7-11, with two floors. A tragic loss.

To address the article, I believe that dual inventory and more accurately, added production costs contributed to Quad's demise. Neither of those were the core issues. In the early '70's, I ran stores that carried software, as an adjunct to hardware. We sold all Quad formats on disc and tape. To this day, I still have friends in the record/CD business and have picked their brains regularly.

Bottom line: Quad killed itself through confusing/competing formats. The oil crisis and recession of '73-'74 was devastating, since Quad was just hitting it's stride at that point. Let's not forget that there were no Quad cassettes or FM format. Yes, I recall some matrix FM broadcasts. A more minor isssue is that Quad tapes were not compatible with stereo equipment. That didn't help. I've been in love with Quad and surround since I first heard it in '71. Yet, with so many marketing blunders and technical missteps, it's a wonder anyone bought Quad at all.

Linda
...and now, back to Rick Wakeman

Not to derail, but Linda, when did retailers stop putting quad releases in their own section and just throw them in with the regular stereo releases? I ask because according to this AES paper I have posted on my site - and written by E. Torrick, one of the co-inventors of SQ - it was the combining the inventory of stereo and quad that really did quad in with the record companies - the paper talks about this in the 2nd paragraph of the last page.
http://issuu.com/disclord/docs/multichannel-history-torrick?mode=embed

AFAIK no quad release for that, Japan included. Mixed? Possibly, along with Listzomania.

I'm headed off to Westmont, a Chicago 'burb. Remember When Records is having a going out of businesss sale. A store specializing in '50's, 60's and 70's, CD & Vinyl, new and used. They had a Quad bin, albeit all used product for years. Picture a store the size of a 7-11, with two floors. A tragic loss.

Any info on why?? I go there every couple of months and have bought tons of quad stuff. I am truly saddened by this news. I love that place.

"No Earthly Connection" was a pretty low key release after "Aurthur", so i'd imagine it was never done, plus the album released close to the end of the A&M Quad releases?

OD

I have never seen nor heard of this title as a CD-4 or any other format in quad.

Well, I have a copy on it's way to me.......and according to the owner, it is definitely a CD-4 disc......
Will scan & post details when I get the record.

This will be a real rare beast if it is really CD-4. Can't wait to hear what it turns out to be!

I doubt it very much, 'No Earthly Connection' was a very poor seller compared to the trio before it, and i suspect A&M were close to stopping Quad releases anyway (willing to be corrected on this) so it wouldn't have been an obvious choice for release.

Shame, i actually like the album, and think a Quad mix would have allowed some of the effects to be used to greater effect

OD

I don't remember even a hint of this one being scheduled by A&M for a Quad Mix - much less being released. Very doubtful indeed.

Back