What's the Latest CD/LP Added to Your Pile?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quad Linda

Staff member
It would be great to hear what non-high-res music titles people are buying. Many of us buy more CD's & LP's than Blu-Ray-A, SACD & DVD-A. I do. It will be interesting to see how everyone responds to this thread.

This post is my 300th. Woo hoo! All-Star time! I'm very happy to be here. It's comforting to know that there are others as crazy as I am. Everyone has been wonderful!

I went to a going out of business sale at 75% off. A long list follows:

Vinyl:
Beatles-Songs, Pictures and Stories Vee Jay Original fold-out cover!
John Coltrane Live in Japan QS from a mono broadcast!
Phil Collins-12"ers WEA Japan collection of 4 extended mixes

CD's:
Harry Belafonte-Greatest Hits 3CD
Tim Buckley-1st album expanded 2CD Rhino Handmade
Gary Burton-Good Vibes
Alone at Last
Ron Carter-Stardust
Cher-Very Best Deluxe w/Live CD
Chicago-Live in '75 Largo, MD Rhino Handmade
Judy Collins-Fifth Album
Home Again
Times of Our Lives
True Stories and Other Dreams
Crusaders-Gold 2CD
Dead Men Walking S/T Springsteen, Waits & Cash
Elton Dean-Ninesense Suite
Delaney & Bonnie & Friends Box 4CD Rhino Handmade
John Denver-Christmas Like a Lullaby
A Christmas Together w/Muppets
Faust-Something Dirty
Michael Franks-Best
Fugs-Be Free
Stan Getz/Luis Bonfa-Jazz Samba Encore
Eddie Harris-Bossa Nova/Breakfast at Tiffany's
Isaac Hayes-Joy
Vladimir Horowitz-Discovered Treasures Bach/Chopin/Clementi/Liszt/Medtner/Scarlatti/Scriabin
Howlin' Wolf-This is Howlin' Wolf's New Album
Hot Tuna-Best of Grunt
Joe Jackson-Live Music, Europe 2010 NEW RELEASE-HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
Henry Mancini-Versatile
Harry & Son Soundtrack Limited to 1000 copies
Barry Manilow-Scores from Copacabana & Harmony
Live on Broadway
Manilow
Singin' with the Big Bands
Sergio Mendes-The Collection 2CD
King Oliver and His Dixie Syncopators
Johnny Otis-Otisology
Rolling Stones-A Bigger Bang
Flashpoint
Sucking in the '70's
Joe Sample-Did You Feel That?
O.C. Smith-Greatest Hits/Help Me Make it Through the Night
Barbra Streisand-What Matters Most Deluxe Version 2CD
Taj Mahal-Mo' Roots/Ooh so Good n Blues
Ike Turner/Jackie Brenston-A Proper Introduction to Includes Rocket 88, regarded as the FIRST rock n Roll Song!
Grover Washington, Jr.-Soul Box
Johnny Winter-Live in Ny '97

That Joe Sample, "Did You Feel That?" disc is a real treat. Love it.

Latest CDs added to my pile? I found a great used place near Akron, OH:
Mike Stern "Big Neighborhood" $7
Howard Jones "Dream Into Action" $5
Evan and Jaron $1

The most recent LP's I bought were the MCA Half-speed pressing of "Olivia Newton-John: Physical" and a still-sealed copy of the first, self-titled, Starland Vocal Band album (I love every song on that album and wore out three 8-tracks listening to it as a kid). That's an album I really wish had had a quad release - it could have been incredible.

Most recent CD's are the soundtrack albums for the movies "Lady Sings The Blues" and "Mame" - and oh boy, does the CD of "Mame" reveal the major limitations of Lucille Ball's voice - some tracks sound like they are made up of over 50 separate vocal takes and pieced together word-by-word. "Mame" was supposed to be released in 4-track stereo, but Lucy's vocal problems were even more apparent in stereo, so it received a mono theatrical release. It makes me wish that Warner would locate the 4-track stereo mix for the film "Auntie Mame" - it was one of the films that Jack Warner had the masters erased in order to re-use the mag tape, so they'd need to find a collector with a 4-track mag 35mm print in good condition.

I just discovered that the soundtrack to the movie "The Hindenburg" was released on CD - in a limited run of 3000 a few years ago - and now goes for insanely high prices, which is a bummer.

CD's
Mike Keneally Band-Bakin' @ The Potato CD/DTS 5.1 DVD
Greg Hawkes-The Beatles Uke
Eva Cassidy-Songbird
Spirit-Time Circle 1968-1972
Breaking Benjamin-Shallow Bay: The Best Of Deluxe Edition
Alphaville-Catching Rays On Giant
John Hiatt-Dirty Jeans And Mudslide Hymns
Riverside-Memories In My Head
3 Doors Down-Time Of My Life
Incubus-If Not Now When?
John Wesley-The Lilypad Suite
Theory Of A Deadman-The Truth Is....
Ellie Goulding-Bright Lights
Yes-Fly From Here
Night Ranger-Somewhere In California
Symphony X-Iconoclast
J D Souther-Natural History

Plus many more, I am tired of typing :>)

Spirit is in my top 5 bands! Years ahead of their time. If ya gotta own one, Time Circle is it. Great choice, Byrdman. A wonderful compilation! I believe it's OOP. I saw them live a few years before Randy met his untimely death. I got to meet Randy and Ed. Their opening act was spectacular: a local group galled The Griff Band. Mr. Griff plays like Jeff Beck! A magical evening.

Disclord, I have that 1/2 speed master of Physical. It sounds great.

Dr. Simple, it may be a while until I audition that Joe Sample disc. Still, I'm looking forward to it. If you have a DBX II decoder, I strongly suggest Ongaku Kai-Crusaders live in Japan on DBX LP. If ya gotta pay $100 for it, do it! The CD pales by comparison. Great sound & performance!

Linda
Let Me Hear Your Body Talk

Spirit is in my top 5 bands! Years ahead of their time. If ya gotta own one, Time Circle is it. Great choice, Byrdman. A wonderful compilation! I believe it's OOP. I saw them live a few years before Randy met his untimely death. I got to meet Randy and Ed. Their opening act was spectacular: a local group galled The Griff Band. Mr. Griff plays like Jeff Beck! A magical evening.

Dr. Simple, it may be a while until I audition that Joe Sample disc. Still, I'm looking forward to it. If you have a DBX II decoder, I strongly suggest Ongaku Kai-Crusaders live in Japan on DBX LP. If ya gotta pay $100 for it, do it! The CD pales by comparison. Great sound & performance!

Linda
Saw Spirit several times live, as well as the Staehly Brothers (Feedback) version. Great concerts all. 12 Dreams album should have been in surround - so I made my own.

12 Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus is in my 10 favorite albums. I believe it would be possible to do a multi-channel mix of it. It would likely be a horriffic chore, since producer David Briggs did a huge assembly job to create it. It wasn't made easy, since the band was in the process of breaking up. Briggs had to tie all this disjoint stuff together with little hope of overdubs. The band washed their hands of it. Briggs did a magnificent job. Their magnum opus! BTW: Led Zeppelin cited both Spirit and Moby Grape as influences. The guitar intro on Stairway to Heaven is lifted from Spirit's 1st album!

If you haven't heard the CBS expanded CD remaster of 12 Dreams, it features a "circus organ" intro on Mr. Skin. Same take, just an extended intro.

Does anyone know what became of the Stahaely Brothers? After they left Spirit, I bought their 1973 "Sta-hay-ley" album. Concrete and Steel is worth the price of admission.

Linda
"throw it away, seize they day!" from Concrete & Steel

Saw Spirit several times live, as well as the Staehly Brothers (Feedback) version. Great concerts all. 12 Dreams album should have been in surround - so I made my own.

Had a birthday recently and can never think of much I want besides CDs , DVD-As, SACDs or Blu-rays!

Got these CDs:

Pure Ella and The Best of Ella Fitzgerald - was watching one of those dance shows with the family and someone danced to a classic Ella song and I said get me some Ella for my birthday! Got two - fantastic.
Dirty Jeans and Mudslide Hymns - John Hiatt. Been a fan of his for a long time.
Sky Full of Holes - Fountains of Wayne. Great powerpop, been awhile since their last one.
Actor-caster - The Generationals. Makes me feel younger to get something from a newer artist every once in awhile.

And, though not quite in this category, the Dr. Strangelove 45th anniversary Blu-ray. 'nuff said.

Linda, by the way I've been a member for years and am still trying to get to 300 posts! Well done!:wave

Linda

Yes, the MCA Audiophile release of Physical is an excellent sounding LP - and on JVC's wonderfully quiet CD-4 vinyl - I just wish Physical had received a dbx II encoded LP release. The CX encoded LaserDisc of Physical sounds even better than the 1/2 speed mastered LP - it's one of the LD's made that, for the best sound, Pioneer used a separate 1/2 inch dbx Type-I encoded mag master synced to the 1-inch video tape, and it sounds just amazing. I finally found one of the digital sound LD releases of Physical from Japan (it never got re-released in digital here) for a decent price and am looking forward to comparing it to the analog CX LD. I wish the Physical video album would have received a DVD release - Universal did release all the videos from it on DVD, but not edited together so seamlessly like they are on the Physical program, or with the sound effects some of the videos had - and the sync between the audio and video isn't quite perfect on some of the videos. Since Physical was also an ABC TV prime time special, it had parts where Olivia chatted with the viewers and stuff, and I'd love to see a DVD release of the whole program that included the ABC stuff too.

I adore my dbx LP's - until DTS CD's and DVD-Audio came along, I had never heard another source - not even CD - that matched the dbx LP's in their dynamic range and overall "power" - with dbx the music sounds effortless and like it could just keep getting louder and louder with no limitations, yet also be whisper quiet without a trace of noise. My dbx 128 and dbx 224 are, next to my Fosgate 101A, my most prized audio gear. It's too bad that dbx II wasn't selected for use on LaserDisc's - dbx certainly lobbied Pioneer, MCA and Philips for it, but CBS' CX noise reduction was not only substantially cheaper in royalties, but also completely compatible without decoding, which is something that dbx encoded recordings are NOT.

I've been thinking about adding a dbx Sub-harmonic Synthesizer, like the dbx 120, to my system. But I've never heard one in action so I don't know how well they work.

Did you ever sell dbx gear, Linda?

the latest LP was Deodato-2. was found past sunday in the bunch of LPs on flea market and amazingly
still in mint condition. albeit nowhere has quad mentioned in print, beside the cat.# in run out has SQ engraved.
b.t.w. same i have with his first album. SQ marking only in run out also. seems like this was quite often practiced
with quad LPs pressed in Canada in the past. at least i have bunch of such records.
CDs? i don't buy them since the second half of 90th. last intentional purchase was 20-bit remaster of Ozzy which
happend to be great disappointment. now CDs came into my pile only if they are part of the set of DVDA or layer on SACD.
about year - year and half since i started collect quad, i went back to purchasing CDs if those has quad mixes.
so far this mainly cheap used with classical repertoire, EMI, Angel and such

"Did you ever sell dbx gear, Linda?" Yes, Pacific was a dbx dealer, as was a high-end dealer whose store I managed for a couple years. dbx II is terriffic! When the dbx rep gave me a promo of Dreamboat Annie, I had a 1/2 speed Nautilus of that title. I A/B'ed them at my store and I was immediately hooked.

I'm less enthusiastic about their other processors etc. Too much "breathing" on 1bx, 2bx & 3bx. If you have something with a limited dynamic range, it enhances it. One evening, I borrowed a 3bx and auditioned it on my own high-end 2-ch system. Through a great pre-amp, 500W power amp and Ortofon MC cartridge, I could not get it to stop breathing on anything with a wide dynamic range, no matter how I adjusted it. I remember the Mofi 1/2 speed master of Hot August Night sounding especially atrocious. Even my guests that night, who knew nothing abut audio, recognized how stinko it sounded, even with persistent adjustment.

Linda

"Did you ever sell dbx gear, Linda?" Yes, Pacific was a dbx dealer, as was a high-end dealer whose store I managed for a couple years. dbx II is terriffic! When the dbx rep gave me a promo of Dreamboat Annie, I had a 1/2 speed Nautilus of that title. I A/B'ed them at my store and I was immediately hooked.

I'm less enthusiastic about their other processors etc. Too much "breathing" on 1bx, 2bx & 3bx. If you have something with a limited dynamic range, it enhances it. One evening, I borrowed a 3bx and auditioned it on my own high-end 2-ch system. Through a great pre-amp, 500W power amp and Ortofon MC cartridge, I could not get it to stop breathing on anything with a wide dynamic range, no matter how I adjusted it. I remember the Mofi 1/2 speed master of Hot August Night sounding especially atrocious. Even my guests that night, who knew nothing abut audio, recognized how stinko it sounded, even with persistent adjustment.

Linda

I have a bunch - maybe 50 - dbx II LP's still at my parents house in Albuquerque and only a few here with me now. I've got to get my dad to box them up and send them to me - some of the dbx jazz titles are pressed on translucent red vinyl. Here, in addition to Heart, I have the Nautilus dbx pressing of Diana Ross: Diana and it's another stunner in the sound quality department, making the CD sound anemic. I need to make a un-decoded CD of it so I don't have to play the LP when I want to hear it.

I use my dbx 128 to compress music heavily most of the time - my partner grew up buying K-Tel and Ronco compilation albums - K-Tel often got 22 songs on a single LP by using super-heavy compression, so he LOVES that bright, hard sound of very heavy compression - something that the dbx 128 reproduces quiet well when set in the Linear mode at a 4- or 5-to-1 compression ratio. I can barely stand to listen to it that way. When set at a mild 1.2-to-1 linear expansion ratio, the dbx 128 works really well at suppressing the background noise on old, non-CX LaserDisc's, like the DiscoVision titles, without many artifacts - it can make DiscoVision's stereo music titles like "Loretta Lynn in Concert" or the ABBA video's really listenable - it can't, however, fix Fleetwood Mac's awful "Tusk" album on DiscoVision though. It's also good for expanding those films on LaserDisc that had their sound transferred directly from the 35mm stereo optical tracks - it gives them a little more 'life' to the sound, but the key is to keep the expansion ratio low.

I think your partner has confused "heavy compression" with heavy petting! lol!! "Heavy compression" is like having your head in a vice. No, not THAT head.

Linda

I have a bunch - maybe 50 - dbx II LP's still at my parents house in Albuquerque and only a few here with me now. I've got to get my dad to box them up and send them to me - some of the dbx jazz titles are pressed on translucent red vinyl. Here, in addition to Heart, I have the Nautilus dbx pressing of Diana Ross: Diana and it's another stunner in the sound quality department, making the CD sound anemic. I need to make a un-decoded CD of it so I don't have to play the LP when I want to hear it.

I use my dbx 128 to compress music heavily most of the time - my partner grew up buying K-Tel and Ronco compilation albums - K-Tel often got 22 songs on a single LP by using super-heavy compression, so he LOVES that bright, hard sound of very heavy compression - something that the dbx 128 reproduces quiet well when set in the Linear mode at a 4- or 5-to-1 compression ratio. I can barely stand to listen to it that way. When set at a mild 1.2-to-1 linear expansion ratio, the dbx 128 works really well at suppressing the background noise on old, non-CX LaserDisc's, like the DiscoVision titles, without many artifacts - it can make DiscoVision's stereo music titles like "Loretta Lynn in Concert" or the ABBA video's really listenable - it can't, however, fix Fleetwood Mac's awful "Tusk" album on DiscoVision though. It's also good for expanding those films on LaserDisc that had their sound transferred directly from the 35mm stereo optical tracks - it gives them a little more 'life' to the sound, but the key is to keep the expansion ratio low.

Since I've gotten into surround music my CD purchases have been nil and non-existent. Several years ago I bought several Eva Cassidy CD's and don't even play them anymore. Still like the music though.

Wow Linda, that's a great variety of music - something there for just about any occasion and mood.

My recent acquisitions:
Bill Nelson - Fantasmatron
Sybarite5 - Disturb the Silence (excellent string quintet)
Killing Joke - Live at Hammersmith Apollo 2010
Kate Bush - Director's Cut
Maria Taylor - Overlook (she's 1/2 of Azure Ray, one of my fave bands)
The Feelies - Here Before
Emmylou Harris - Hard Bargain
Neil Young & The International Harvesters - A Treasure
The Unthanks - Last (UK folk band...album has a superb version of King Crimson's "Starless" on it)
Gillian Welch - The Harrow and the Harvest
Memories of Machines - Warm Winter
EMA - Past Like Martyred Saints (EMA=Erika M. Anderson...noisy power pop)

Purchased yesterday, all on CD:

Little Steven - Born Again Savage
Olu Dara - In the World: From Natchez To New York
Joan Osborne - Breakfast in Bed

Just got
Björk-Vespertine DVD-A
Chicago II DVD-A (defective , it plays until track 19 (at least!)-doesn't play in normal DVD-V mode)

From fellow member Haikubass!

AND
-Santana III SQ Japanese Pressing-MARVELLOUS!!!
-Walter Carlos -S O Bach US SQ Pressing sealed (not so good but fine!)

Well, I just realized that a) there's no thread for "Latest DTS CD added to your pile" and b) there's no thread for Don Henley's "End of the Innocence" DTS CD.

Anyway, I just won a copy on ebay for $20.50. I think that's a decent price anyway.

Great lists. When I get settled in I will list the quad Japanese records I found in japan, some cd-4 and sq.

Geez, the last disc I bought was 'The Essential Michael Jackson' Sony collection.

Wow. Great sounding compilation.

Back