What's the Latest CD/LP Added to Your Pile?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
John, it's beyond. Bernie Pershey is the drummer on this. There is no recording date listed, though it says P&C 2005. The DVD has a C 2011 on the screen. Curiously, at the beginning of the drum solo clip, Burdon is interviewed. Burdon CLAIMS that Pershey played drums on Edgar Winter's (studio version) of Frankenstein. Chuck Ruff was listed as drummer on every copy of They Only Come Out at Night! A Quad classic!

Burdon's intro on the three videos begins with him declaring, "I hate f&*%ing videos, so I shot my own!" There are some great stills from Burdon's entire career on the Once Upon a Time video.

The DD has only the drum solo in a 5.1 mix, which is mostly cymbals in the rear. The CD/DVD-V set is on SPV GmbH (German) www.spv.de www.ericburdon.com

Does anyone have knowledge of a Pershey connection to Frankenstein?

Linda
I remember Marvin Gaye singing Let's Get it On

What year is the Animals performance? The original Hilton Valentine version or the Andy Summers' version......or beyond? John

Just as an interesting bit of info, Bernie Pershey was the drummer in a band out of Minneapolis in the very early seventies originally called White Lightning and then shortened to Lightning.

The band was a three member power trio at first and then became a 5 member band. That's when Pershey began playing with them.

The other big Minnesota band then was The Litter and the two bands had members that had been in one group and switched to the other over their years of existence.

I remember watching Lightning and being awed by his drumming. I also remember that he had a special drum setup using pipes to support the various pieces because he kept destroying the normal drum/cymbal tripods and stuff due to the power of his technique.

On topic, I'm pretty sure my last LP I bought is Jimi Hendrix "Valleys of Neptune" and it's excellent!

Doug

Tori Amos - Night of the Hunters
basically a piano, vocal & orchestra album, released on Deutsche Grammophon...playing it now, liking quite a bit

Evangelista - In Animal Tongue
latest from Carla Bozulich

As I was opening this thread, I thought "Gotta Get That New Tori!" Had one in my hand on Tuesday, but realized I needed the CD/DVD-V, which they said was back ordered. Maybe today. Is yours the CD only, doppelbock? Night of the Hunters. Is it Tori Amos or Torii Hunter? lol!!

Valleys is a great one, Doug. Great version of Mr. Bad Luck (look over yonder)! Did anyone get the Winterland Hendrix box? I have all of it except the interview on an '08 6CD import Three Nights at Winterland, Reclamation RECD 1013 cCW.

Don't forget Crow from MN!

Linda
Playin' the violin, hittin' wrong notes!

Tori Amos - Night of the Hunters
basically a piano, vocal & orchestra album, released on Deutsche Grammophon...playing it now, liking quite a bit

Evangelista - In Animal Tongue
latest from Carla Bozulich

Linda, I got the CD/DVD set. I pre-ordered from Amazon as soon as it was announced. The cd just finished - it's really very very good. Her daughter Natashya sings with her on a few songs and she's got a nice voice, different from her mom...a bit like Emilianna Torrini to my ears....liked it.

I was hoping to catch her on tour this time around as it's been years since I've seen her but it's looking like there isn't any show I can easily get to.

Will watch the dvd a little later on

I also give a thumbs up for Valleys of Neptune. I bought the cd from target with two extra tracks which IMHO are essential.

Be assured, I meant "Evil Woman" in the good sense of the phrase. :D

My VON is the 2 LP set because I was just amazed it was only 20 bucks which is cheap these days. Wonderful pressings too.

Crow. I remember the first time they played the Tower in Austin (as Crow. They were previously South 40) and we who saw them were going around, "You just HAVE to see Crow...!" It's too bad they fell victim to the typical record company/producer traps of those days. The same thing happened to The Litter.

Doug
Don't Try To Lay No Boogie Woogie On Me.

Who Do You Think You Are, the King of Rock & Roll?

Linda
Queen of QQ

Be assured, I meant "Evil Woman" in the good sense of the phrase. :D

My VON is the 2 LP set because I was just amazed it was only 20 bucks which is cheap these days. Wonderful pressings too.

Crow. I remember the first time they played the Tower in Austin (as Crow. They were previously South 40) and we who saw them were going around, "You just HAVE to see Crow...!" It's too bad they fell victim to the typical record company/producer traps of those days. The same thing happened to The Litter.

Doug
Don't Try To Lay No Boogie Woogie On Me.

Emiliana Torrini - Rarities (a 2cd set of b-sides and remixes)
David Sylvian - Secrets of the Beehive

For me this could be a dangerous thread, if only because I still buy cheap (but high quality) vinyl at flea markets, Salvation Army, Goodwill and similar outlets, and my interest these days is as a kind of pop archaeologist, coming across very obscure '50s & '60s titles.

Remember Christine Nelson? Of course not! She never had a chart single or album. Her one claim of note, FWIW, is that she got a credit on Allan Sherman's 1962 debut Lp, MY SON THE FOLK SINGER, which went to #1 and sold over a million. They dueted on "Sarah Jackman" (sung to "Frere Jacques"), which the lady repeated solo on a 1966 Lp of her own, DID'JA COME TO PLAY CARDS OR TO TALK?, which was, not so coincidentally, produced and arranged by Jimmy Hilliard and Lou Busch, who also worked on most of Sherman's albums. Hers too is a comedy album set to music, and pretty clever, though like most comedy vinyl, has aged rather more fitfully than comedy cinema can (although that can get pretty dated as well).

When I'm not listening to multichannel music or videos, I like to slip old mono and stereo 45's and Lp's on the TT and relax. Amazing how much that is obscure hasn't really been discussed or documented much, and how much of it is actually pretty good, as good as a lot of like material that did sell well.

ED :)

Gerry and the Pacemakers Greatest hits, mono, on Laurie
The Rotary Connection st on Cadet.
Boccherini string quartets on seon/abc classics
Stan Getz orchestral versions on verve
some classical lps

Superheavy (deluxe w/ bonus tracks) supergroup w/Dave Stewart, Mick Jagger, Joss Stone, Damian Marley
Ocean's Kingdom - Paul McCartney (orchestral)
Live at Madison Square Garden 1978 - Jethro Tull DVD/CD
Live in Europe 1967 - Miles Davis Quintet 3 CD/DVD
Anthology Box (all previously unreleased) 1966-1970 - Quicksilver Messenger Service 3CD/DVD Outtakes/2 live CD's/live DVD

Linda

postal person was kind today...found these in my mailbox:

Slow Electric from Burning Shed, features Tim Bowness (no-man) and even has Tony Levin on a couple tracks
Bill Nelson - Model Village (one of his brand new discs)
Bill Nelson - Signals from Realms of Light (his other brand new release)

Jimi Hendrix Hendrix in the West. New cd edition with extra tracks....and a couple of substitutions. Still have my original vinyl.

Wilco - The Whole Love - Electronic/Americana - great Jeff Tweedy songs mixed with some really interesting guitar work from the highly underrated Nels Cline.
Glen Campbell - Ghosts On the Canvas - songs from Paul Westerberg, Jakob Dylan, Teddy Thompson. Sidemen include Brian Setzer, Jason Faulkner, Billy Corgan, Dick Dale, Rick Nielsen, etc. A tragic/triumphant swan song from one of my favorite singers/guitar players.
Lindsay Buckingham - Seeds We Sow - His guitar playing keeps getting better as he gets older. Looking forward to the live BD coming out via Eagle Rock in early November featuring songs from this album.

Back