What's the Latest CD/LP Added to Your Pile?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Burn - Deep Purple

Japanese "Forever Young" Series edition. Cat. No. 20P2 2608

I was playing the EMI remaster of this the other week and it struck me as very bright and pretty horrible.. so I thought I'd check out alternatives.. this CD came up on the SHF in a discussion about a worthwhile CD mastering.. and then came up on Ebay cheap so I thought what the 'eck.. so far so good, still a bit bright but wipes the floor with the remaster. Still waiting for the 5.1 DVD-A... but this'll have to do for now.. :spot

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 99
Fred - is there anything you wont buy, I am amazed at the sheer range of musical genre that you acquire, impressive.

Not really! I might draw the line at some of those birdsong/whalesong SACDs or train journey sound effect DTS things.. but they're not really music are they?

Any genre, by any sex, any race, any tempo, any time, any place, anywhere! Life's a rich tapestry and there's a hell of a lot of music out there to try before you die! :D

Aja - Steely Dan.

2013 SHM-CD (non-Platinum) from the same 2010 DSD transfer as the SHM-SACD (which got pretty inconsistent reviews at the time).. this was by far the cheapest way for me to get a grip on the new mastering (while actually buying it, not illegally D/L-ing!) so here goes nuttin'! :p

Aside from a strange bit of distortion on the piano in "Home At Last" (which I've not encountered on any other version.. and I've 4 different CDs of Aja) this sounds truly excellent, very natural, very crankable, with more detail than ever. Gorgeous.

Received this today from the UK. Not available in stores here, not even FYE. Those losers.

Attachments

• doors_weird.jpg
    doors_weird.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 158
Winner Takes All - The Isley Brothers

(the only album of theirs from the "3+3" era that I didn't already have on CD).

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:
Alison Krauss & Union Station - Paper Airplane
Kaiser Chiefs - Education, Education, Education & War

Trans-Electronic Music Productions, Inc. Presents "Switched-On Bach" - Virtuoso Electronic Performances by Wendy Carlos Performing On The Moog Synthesizer.. (what a mouthful!)

The first CD pressing from Japan (MK 63501) very excited to hear this mastering.. "mastered with TLC at Half-Speed at the CBS Recording Studios, New York, on the CBS DisComputer(TM) system by Vlado Meller" no less..!! :banana:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 138
A MoFi vinyl of Supertramp's "Crime of the Century", arguably their best stuff and great through PL2. I hadn't had this since my bother made me a copy on a Chromium oxide cassette tape circa 1980 (remember those)......haven't had cassette playback capability for at least 15 years. Also a German 80 minute version of the Dead's "Sunshine Daydream" (albeit DVD talk there...) great audio under the circumstances and only $3.

Yes, I saw that when I bought the CD. The CD COULDN'T be half-speed mastered. On a CD, what would be the point? A half-speed mastered LP gives the cutting head twice as much time to etch the groove more precisely. Clearly, CBS simply took verbiage from the Mastersound half-speed mastered LP and placed it on the CD release.

As mentioned before, CBS no longer owns the rights to this recording. Their CD is long OOP.

Trans-Electronic Music Productions, Inc. Presents "Switched-On Bach" - Virtuoso Electronic Performances by Wendy Carlos Performing On The Moog Synthesizer.. (what a mouthful!)

The first CD pressing from Japan (MK 63501) very excited to hear this mastering.. "mastered with TLC at Half-Speed at the CBS Recording Studios, New York, on the CBS DisComputer(TM) system by Vlado Meller" no less..!! :banana:

In 1978, when the first MoFi LP's hit, we used both Crime and Klemmer's Touch as demo albums in our "high-end" room. Though two Kenwood 500w mono block amps and an Ortofon MC20 moving coil phono cartridge, it was absolutely stunning, especially the dynamics of "School."

A MoFi vinyl of Supertramp's "Crime of the Century", arguably their best stuff and great through PL2. I hadn't had this since my bother made me a copy on a Chromium oxide cassette tape circa 1980 (remember those)......haven't had cassette playback capability for at least 15 years. Also a German 80 minute version of the Dead's "Sunshine Daydream" (albeit DVD talk there...) great audio under the circumstances and only $3.

Yes, I saw that when I bought the CD. The CD COULDN'T be half-speed mastered. On a CD, what would be the point? A half-speed mastered LP gives the cutting head twice as much time to etch the groove more precisely. Clearly, CBS simply took verbiage from the Mastersound half-speed mastered LP and placed it on the CD release.

As mentioned before, CBS no longer owns the rights to this recording. Their CD is long OOP.

I don't mind if it's half-speed or not, so long as it's not a half-assed mastering! :D

the catalogue number is the same (63501) as that listed in discogs as the "remastered 1973 Quadraphonic SQ LP" release.. I wonder if this CD plays ball in PLII.. there's a Wendy Carlos Bach track on the Masterworks Bach Greatest Hits CD which is absolutely sensational in PLII.. I'll run home like Charlie (of the Chocolate Factory fame when he finds the golden ticket!) and put this disc on as soon as I get in.. fingers crossed it sounds fab in faux surround! Woo! :banana:

No, I don't believe that this is the SQ mix, which Columbia pulled at Carlos' request. As to the numbering, most SQ/Q8's released in the Quad days had the same numerical sequence as the stereo versions, EXCEPT they had a different prefix: CQ, PCQ, CAQ, etc. for Quad vs. C, KC, PC, etc. for the stereo releases. The exceptions are albums released prior to the introduction of five digit numbers. So, Santana (I) and Blood, Sweat & Tears Quads changed from their four digit stereo #'s CS 9xxx to five digit #'s in Quad CQ 3xxxx.

All bets were off in the SACD days and completely new numbers were assigned to multi-channel projects.
I don't mind if it's half-speed or not, so long as it's not a half-assed mastering! :D

the catalogue number is the same (63501) as that listed in discogs as the "remastered 1973 Quadraphonic SQ LP" release.. I wonder if this CD plays ball in PLII.. there's a Wendy Carlos Bach track on the Masterworks Bach Greatest Hits CD which is absolutely sensational in PLII.. I'll run home like Charlie (of the Chocolate Factory fame when he finds the golden ticket!) and put this disc on as soon as I get in.. fingers crossed it sounds fab in faux surround! Woo! :banana:

Interesting! Thanks Linda :)

This is the info for the various releases of S-OB that I've found so far..

1968 Vinyl LP Columbia Masterworks / MS 7194
Switched-On-Bach 33 rpm

1969 Vinyl LP CBS / 384.304
Switched-On Bach 120 gram, 33 rpm

1969 Vinyl LP CBS / S63501
Switched-On Bach 33 rpm

1970 Vinyl LP CBS / S 63501
Switched-On Bach 33 rpm, Promo, Quadraphonic

1972 Vinyl LP Columbia / MQ-31018
Switched-On Bach Quadraphonic

1972 8 Track Columbia / MAQ 31018
Switched-On Bach 33 rpm

1973 Vinyl LP Columbia Masterworks / MQ 31018
Switched-On Bach 33 rpm, Quadraphonic, Remastered

1973 Vinyl LP CBS / Q 63501
Switched-On Bach

1981 CD CBS Masterworks / MK 63501
Switched-On Bach 33 rpm, Remastered

1981 Vinyl LP CBS Masterworks / HM 47194
Switched-On Bach

1985 CD CBS Masterworks / MK 7194
Switched-On Bach Gold Disc, Remastered

1992 CD Sony Masterworks / SK 53789
Switched-On Bach

1994 CD CBS / Sony / COL 4759692
Switched-On Bach Bonus Tracks, Enhanced CD, Remastered

2001 HDCD ESD / 81602
"Switched-On Bach"

I'm still trying to work out exactly what I have! I think it's the 1985 CD but the catalogue number marries up with an impossible 1981 CD release!? :mad:@: :eek:

BTW: the numbering and prefixes I alluded to are US releases. MS 7194 was the original LP release, which had a different cover that Carlos reportedly objected to, supposedly because of the picture. M(A)Q 31018 refers to US Quads. Also, note that her (then his) name is not listed on cover. The picture was replaced and the MS 7194 number continued on the subsequent US stereo pressings. Original cover: Walter-Carlos-Switched-On-Bach-331048.jpg

The CD you own is the same one that I bought when it first appeared on CD in the US. I've since acquired it again as part of the Switched-On box set:
carlos1.jpg

As to numbering, your list provides examples of US numbering, as well as other countries. A few years into CD, US Columbia assigned a new catalog number to many old albums, since many received a remastering, remix and/or added tracks. 5xxxx or 6xxxx are examples. HM 47194 on your list is the pressing that the CD (erroneously) alludes to, i.e. the 1/2 speed Mastersound LP, which I had owned and sounds very good. The H prefix designates 1/2 speed mastering.

Thank you once again Linda :)

I've just bought another one which was going cheap, the seller listed the CD with a cat.no. of MK 7194, I guess it could be the original '68 version or the '85 remastered gold CD if the number correlates to anything at all on that CD from the numbers on the list.. anyhoo, it'll be fun to see how it stacks up against the MK 63501 (which I'll be spinning for the first time tonight!) and the 7194 gets a fair bit of praise over at the SHF, so vee shall seeee..!

I will definitely get that fantastic looking box set in time (when I can find it el cheapo!).

1992 CD Sony Masterworks / SK 53789
is the gold CD of Switched-On Bach, which was not reissued in a CD-size sleeve, as many other titles were:
View attachment 14293
These titles came in a long box with no CD-size booklet.

OOH...!!! A long one!! :p

I want it! I want it! I want it! I want it! I want it! I want it! I want it! I want it! I want it! :woopie

Back