What's the Latest CD/LP Added to Your Pile?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd get that one but I'm only a QQ'aphile, not an audiophile.. :D

How do they like SHM over at the SHF?

You never know what you're going to get at SHF. There are definitely fans of SHM over there, but there are also many CD zealots who love to threadcrap on hi-rez discussions. Even those who swear that mp3 is as good as you'll ever need! I've never heard an SHM disc, but I'll take a lossless disc or file any day over CD or mp3.

I was really only poking fun at the "For Audiophile Only" blurb on the Dire Straits Platinum SHM white box packaging :)

I've picked up a number of these Universal SHM's recently - a few on SACD but the majority in CD form - most are billed as having DSD flat transfers from the master tapes.. without exception they have all sounded very good and several of them are out and out superb, perhaps the best I've heard these records.. and these are for albums I have every which way already.. Who's Next, Aja, Elton John (his 2nd LP w/Your Song, Sixty Years On, etc on it), Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, What's Going On, Talking Book, Innervisions, Songs In The Key Of Life, Breakfast In America.. for the most part they have been quite the revelation.

I'm guessing the mastering, source used and care/attention paid to transferring that source etc rather than the SH disc material itself is the reason they sound so good but still that's just my layman's guess, the SHM may well be a contributing factor.

As for the SHF, I'm still learning the ropes about how it works there since I went from lurker to participant.. bit of an eye opener, to put it mildly.. :eek:

SHF has a different concept of "the ropes", tread carefully.

From QQ deep space

point taken! thanks for the tip off (y)

I've nearly jacked it in a couple of times and gone back to lurking.. including during the AF 5.1 thread just the other day.. still, I'll persevere over there, for now :)

The Who Live in Toronto September 22nd, 2002.

Yeah! I did not plan to go to that show (expensive. no Keith or John. Pete only playing acoustic. etc.) but my brother-in-law's friend had bailed and I bought his floor ticket. I was blown away. Pete was playing electric again and completely stepped his game up to fill the spiritual space of his fallen bandmates, leaping, windmilling and soloing like crazy. Roger was in good voice. Probably my fave live Who show since my first. (circa Live at Leeds in Ottawa). So many good song choices. I was really happy they played Another Tricky Day. Enjoy the album!

Yeah! I did not plan to go to that show (expensive. no Keith or John. Pete only playing acoustic. etc.) but my brother-in-law's friend had bailed and I bought his floor ticket. I was blown away. Pete was playing electric again and completely stepped his game up to fill the spiritual space of his fallen bandmates, leaping, windmilling and soloing like crazy. Roger was in good voice. Probably my fave live Who show since my first. (circa Live at Leeds in Ottawa). So many good song choices. I was really happy they played Another Tricky Day. Enjoy the album!

Live at Leeds is actually quite accurate; although now I need to hear "Young Man Blues". It's certainly a solid show with the mood set from the first crashing chord of "Can't Explain"...

Live at Leeds is actually quite accurate; although now I need to hear "Young Man Blues". It's certainly a solid show with the mood set from the first crashing chord of "Can't Explain"...

In Ottawa, in the 10th row of a small theater, they opened with Young Man's Blues. It was my first "big" rock show and my jaw was on the floor! Leeds had not been released yet but the set was similar. Can't Explain, Shaking All Over and a big chunk of Tommy. At the end of My Generation, Pete threw his guitar up twirling into the air but instead of letting it crash to the floor, deftly grabbed it and hit the last chord!

Who's Next Platinum SHM CD.jpg

Thanks to fb :eek:

PK, those Dead Can Dance remasters are excellent. I've landed two of them in the past couple years. Saw them in September 2013 in Atlanta and it was mind-blowing.

Yes.. which I don't understand if the more recent Platinum SHM-CD's from the same source as it sounds excellent to me.

I have had bad luck when it comes to finding good sounding discs from the Rolling Stones and The Who and I've tried a lot. It sure doesn't look very encouraging when you look at the numbers HERE of course the numbers are only one factor in the equation but it's usually a pretty good indicator. Do you have the 2013 version SHM-CD?

I have had bad luck when it comes to finding good sounding discs from the Rolling Stones and The Who and I've tried a lot. It sure doesn't look very encouraging when you look at the numbers HERE of course the numbers are only one factor in the equation but it's usually a pretty good indicator. Do you have the 2013 version SHM-CD?

Yes I do and the 2013 SHM I have is billed as using the same 2010 DSD mastering thats on the SHM-SACD. I think this may be one of those instances where the DR numbers don't tell the full picture because the SHM-CD sounds wonderful.. and I've had this album almost every way you can think of.

Back