MUSIC ONLY! What's Your Latest Blu-Ray or Blu-Ray-A, Concert or Music-Related?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Symbol : Engine-Earz Experiment (BD-A)

(when i see the words "5.1 surround..mixed by Ronald Prent.." i know by now the experience is going to be of a certain standard)

C5Gec4d.jpg

xyxTncZ.jpg

And Darcy Proper is another indicator of quality...those 2 seem to work well together(y)

I am about half way thru the new 2017 SHM SACD Blue Note Jazz series. I can't imagine anything sounding better; ie: DSD download etc. These early 60's releases sound so smooth and great. Each comes in a outer paper jacket, they all match each other and then the jewel case comes out with liner notes and band members. Here is an example of two that the other 18 mimic.
View attachment 31486View attachment 31487

The recent Universal Blue Note/Riverside/Contemporary 192/24 BD~As I recently purchased from CDJapan during their blow~out sale [with free shipping] are pretty astonishing. Better, IMO, than my equivalent Analogue Production Stereo SACDs. http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/PROZ-4007?s_ssid=e421e75a35f4abc52 and http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/PROZ-4009

I REALLY wish Universal would up their ante by releasing some Contemporary Blue Note/Verve jazz titles as multichannel BD~As [or even SACDs].

For the hell of it, Mark, next time you place an order with CDJapan you should try out one of these BD~A titles for comparison. Do you have this one? http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/PROZ-4010?s_ssid=e316d15a35f85c5f69 or http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/PROZ-4012?s_ssid=e3148b5a35facbc13e

The recent Universal Blue Note/Riverside/Contemporary 192/24 BD~As I recently purchased from CDJapan during their blow~out sale [with free shipping] are pretty astonishing. Better, IMO, than my equivalent Analogue Production Stereo SACDs. http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/PROZ-4007?s_ssid=e421e75a35f4abc52 and http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/PROZ-4009

I REALLY wish Universal would up their ante by releasing some Contemporary Blue Note/Verve jazz titles as multichannel BD~As [or even SACDs].

I’ve really been enjoying the handful of these Blu-ray’s as well to bad about the native language on the spines etc. but some handy print work Squared that away. Nicely filled in a void of my jazz collection.
Was curious about the comparison to some of the APs so that’s good to hear. Blow out sale indeed.

I’ve really been enjoying the handful of these Blu-ray’s as well to bad about the native language on the spines etc. but some handy print work Squared that away. Nicely filled in a void of my jazz collection.
Was curious about the comparison to some of the APs so that’s good to hear. Blow out sale indeed.

BTW, if you want to keep your OBI Strips that come with those BD~A discs secure, try these out: https://www.amazon.com/50-Blu-Ray-R...24&keywords=plastic+sleeves+for+Blu+ray+discs

Avoid those pesky negative Amazon reviews....they work like charms but will NOT fit steelbook BD~As nor BD~As in outer slip cases.

Even cheaper if you buy 100: https://www.amazon.com/100-Blu-Ray-...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=6P6Y36TZWNC17BZP9E44

I just got Hans Zimmer's Live in Prague this week-end on Blu-ray, it is absolutely a winner! Fantastic surround mix (I'm listening in 5.1) with a varied setlist, lots of great guests, very unique array of performers in the orchestra all virtuosos in their own right, absolutely a must own disc.

For me the top two tracks are the track from Man of Steel and "Time" from Inception.

Blistering low end on some of these tracks, perfectly immersive surround mix. A reference disc through and through.

Just got this disc, and I agree this is reference stuff.

Was prepared for a calm and quiet classical setting, but this is more like a rock concert!! Excellent.

I am listening to the Atmos soundtrack on a 7.1.4 set up and it's great. Highly recommended!

Edit: With guest guitarrist Johnny Marr (The Smiths) - cool!

Santa brought R.E.M. - Out Of Time 25th Anniversary BD and the ATMOS speakers arrive on Wednesday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As others have mentioned here, a reference, live surround mix in Dolby Atmos (or Tru HD 7.1). A great representation of Zimmer's film scores with an army of musicians including full choir, orchestra, etc. etc. The supporting "featured" players are pretty impressive as well including Guthrie Govan, Johnny Marr, Mike Einziger (Incubus) Yolanda Charles (Squeeze) and Ann Marie Calhoun (Steve Vai). I'm impressed with the folded down Tru HD 5.1 mix - can only imagine the full Atmos treatment. Thinking more and more about an upgrade to 7.1.4 but gonna have to hypnotize the Mrs. for that one :D

hans.jpg

The Enid - The Bridge Concert on Blu Ray. This band has been around since the 1970s and has undergone a rebirth with the new material some of you may have downloaded the past couple of years. This is symphonic rock and the visuals and new level of showmanship are amazing. Very decent 5.1 mix with competent DD encoding. I recommend watching the two parts separately (hour each) but one could go nuts and watch the whole thing in one sitting. The extras where they discuss the music is rather dry but quite informative.

Wow, lucky me! The price for Anathema's Japan-only BD-A suddenly has dropped to EUR 14 at Amazon.de and the description claimed 1 copy left.
Well, I pulled the trigger and here it is:
A33NMZA.jpg

Love that album in surround. It was the album that got me into Anathema. I have since gone out and bought almost everything they have done since their style change.

Steve Morse - Sects, Drugs, Rock’n’Roll; watched the Steve Morse show (1992) and it was amazing music wise with solo, duo and finally trio performances with bassist Dave LaRue and keyboard ace T Lavitz. Audio is DD and very clear mono sometimes stereo, Video is 1:33 and just a sign of the times. Putting two different shows on a single Blu Ray disc makes sense. Got a Steve Morse guitar fix and will circle back for the Dregs Show later.

I did manage to see them a few times and met Steve at an Ernie Ball guitar clinic in 1984 before the Dregs we’re properly represented on CDs. There was a single sampler CD on Grand Slam Records and when I asked about it, Steve shrugged and said “Polygram licensed it to some guy.” By 1988 this oversight was corrected with proper album releases. He also signed my Steve Morse Band - Introduction CD.

• Beyoncé, Beyoncé (2013) -- because I'd casually written her off as just another boring contemporary R&B singer until the videos for Lemonade knocked some sense into me. Your choice of Dolby or DTS 5.1 (or stereo) for the videos on the Blu-Ray. (Wish Lemonade offered the same option!)

R-5188558-1386941948-1573.jpeg.jpg

• Gentle Giant, The Power and the Glory -- because I keep trying to like Gentle Giant. And who doesn't like Steven Wilson? (Plus, it was under ten bucks new at Amazon.)

R-5911042-1406338786-5080.jpeg.jpg

Part of a small but good haul from a visit to Academy Records in Manhattan last week: a sealed copy of Northern Timbre (2L 2L-138-SABD, 2017), works by Grieg, Sibelius, and Nielsen performed by Ragnhild Hemsing and Tor Espen Aspass. BDA + Hybrid SACD. Not quite as stunning, surround-wise, as some other 2L releases--it's just violin and piano, after all--but just as pristinely recorded, and still very immersive and immediate.

2L138_box-B.jpg

Part of a small but good haul from a visit to Academy Records in Manhattan last week: a sealed copy of Northern Timbre (2L 2L-138-SABD, 2017), works by Grieg, Sibelius, and Nielsen performed Ragnhild Hemsing and Tor Espen Aspass. BDA + Hybrid SACD. Not quite as stunning, surround-wise, as some other 2L releases--it's just violin and piano, after all--but just as pristinely recorded, and still very immersive and immediate.

2L138_box-B.jpg

I really appreciate that Academy has a separate SACD section in the corner of the store. The whole place is rather wonderful, and I'm glad they seem to have lively business in 2018.

Back