MUSIC ONLY! What's Your Latest Blu-Ray or Blu-Ray-A, Concert or Music-Related?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anniversary present :smokin

Legend - Gnarly Bob & the Wailers 30th Anniversary Deluxe Edition CD/Blu-Ray-A

I have to say I'm very surprised you're just now getting this- one of the best 5.1 mixes ever imo. I was never a huge BM fan (more out of ignorance than not liking his music), but this disc blew me away (and helped reduce my ignorance).

Has marriage slowed down your acquisitions QL?

Actually, keeping Kwad Kitty alive and happy throughout 2014 slowed the acquisitions greatly. Large Vet bills, which we're still recovering from. At the same time, an explosion of expensive boxes, Blu-Ray-A, SHM SACD, new 5.1 titles and reissues made getting everything I wanted that much harder. Kwad Kitty was one of our family, so it was no contest for 5.1, etc. vs. him. I'll always cherish that extra year, especially since he was happy. He got real fish, not cat food, every day for the last several months.

RIP KWAD KITTY.

Actually, keeping Kwad Kitty alive and happy throughout 2014 slowed the acquisitions greatly. Large Vet bills, which we're still recovering from. At the same time, an explosion of expensive boxes, Blu-Ray-A, SHM SACD, new 5.1 titles and reissues made getting everything I wanted that much harder. Kwad Kitty was one of our family, so it was no contest for 5.1, etc. vs. him. I'll always cherish that extra year, especially since he was happy. He got real fish, not cat food, every day for the last several months.

RIP KWAD KITTY.

That is sad news indeed. My condolences. For sure your priorities were correct. I'm glad he was happy during his last days. Years ago, when my cat developed liver problems, I unthinkingly followed the Vet's advice and had her operated on. Then, I had to give her subcutaneous injections every day, which she hated. She declined and one evening I found her lying asleep in her litter box; it was a pathetic sight. I could not let her suffer any longer and took her to a Vet ER that was open 24/7 to put her out of her misery. I have some real regrets for putting her through that.

But Quad Kitty lives on, not just in your heart, but forever memorialized in these pages! RIP indeed.

I've had the Criterion Edition of "A Hard Day's Night" since I pre-ordered it off Amazon and have yet to open and watch it. I guess, I'm waiting to order "Help" before I do but it hasn't been a priority.
My copies of AHDN and Help on Blu-ray arrived last week so my son and I watched over the weekend... they are both the definitive editions (IMHO) with pristine picture quality and very good surround (Help is a little better in the surround category). But with AHDN, not only do you get more musical numbers, it's just a much more enjoyable movie. I rarely make it to the end of Help (for my 13 year old son, he had already watched both movies on DVD earlier in the week and he was VERY impressed with the Blu-rays... he's pretty fanatical about The Beatles!) I would rank Beatles movies in order of best to worst:
A Hard Days Night
Yellow Submarine
Help
Magical Mystery Tour

Of course The Beatles Anthology is essential as well (I hope they eventually release it on Blu-ray). I've never seen Let It Be, but I'm hoping to see a restored version some day!

My copies of AHDN and Help on Blu-ray arrived last week so my son and I watched over the weekend... they are both the definitive editions (IMHO) with pristine picture quality and very good surround (Help is a little better in the surround category).....I would rank Beatles movies in order of best to worst:
A Hard Days Night
Yellow Submarine
Help
Magical Mystery Tour....
I like the UK version of AHDN because Criterion put dolby digital sound on the extras, but the UK version has LPCM on the extras.

My favorites in order: Magical Mystery Tour, A Hard Days Night/Yellow Sub (tie), Help (forget this one!).

I like the UK version of AHDN because Criterion put dolby digital sound on the extras, but the UK version has LPCM on the extras.

My favorites in order: Magical Mystery Tour, A Hard Days Night/Yellow Sub (tie), Help (forget this one!).

Magical Mystery Tour is your favorite, and Help is your least favorite? Please...
For me: AHDN, Help, Yellow Sub, MMT

For surround: Help, Yellow Sub, MMT, AHDN

Yash Raj Top 40 Songs (BD-V).

(Hoping this has some of the 5.1 mixes that were on Opus Productions' DVD-A's that are now incredibly hard - scrap that, impossible - to find..)

image.jpg

For those who are unaware, Barnes & Noble is currently having one of their big 40% sales on both DVDs and Blu-Rays.
I picked up a VERY special Blu-Ray set IMO with this deal and an extra 20% on top of that! :)

Americana - Modern Mandolin Quartet (CD+BD-A).

Thanks for the tip @Lute :) (y)
(next up, the Didgeridon't! ;) )

I completely enjoyed both of those beautiful recordings, but I wonder which one will be gettin' spun more often at your home. LOL! ;)

This one was better than I thought it would be. Alain Bashung - Osez Joséphine. Too bad they didn't try to remix it into 5.1, though.

image.jpg

Rolling Stones - From the Vault/ Marquee71- BD

After seeing and hearing this for years on bootlegs i am astounded by how great this sounds on Bluray!
The stereomix is perfect!
The surround is OK i guess, could of course be less discreet.

A RUSH double shot
-Snakes and Arrows (Live)..Digital Man, Cicumstances? can't wait to watch it
-Time Machine-Live in Cleveland 2011...Moving Pictures live

cool!

Actually Kap'n it's a little different in my case...I haven't liked any of Steven's prior music(the content)...none of it...but after my first spin of this title I do like it...the very first one...this is my "style"...

Interesting...basically all of his stuff sounds the same to me...PT stuff and solo stuf (not counting the rest of the collaborations, which ARE a bit different...and let's not even go into the "The day before you came" ABBA cover he did that's in the Kscope sampler no. 6)..
Some mellow stuff, with harmonies fading down to almost nothing and then.... WHAM HUGE WALL OF SOUND!!!!..solos...then again down in dynamics
it's brilliantly executed too...

I personally think that his best was "The Raven".. a bit farther away from his style, and I'm sure it was because of MR Parson's presence....

I also find the artwork EXTREMELY depressing and overly dark..well, it matches the music but it borders on the "amateurish"....too many scribbled lines and no real "artful" composition...
but then , I'm basically nobody and he is a star and a great artist and person..at least I think I'm a nice person and a bit talented...

The Who-Live at Shea Stadium 1982 Blu ray and The Rolling Stones at the Marquee 1971 Blu ray( the 2 of them cost just under $40 at Barnes and Noble with a couple of 20% off coupons)

Does it have a decent 5.1 mix?
I would call it decent but not more.
You get the feeling of being in the audience at an concert.
My complain is that the instruments (and specially the guitars) are, as often on these blurays, a bit distant compared to the stereo track.
On the London Quadrophenia disc i was pleased, on this one i will propably listen more to the stereo track unfortunately.

Back