MUSIC ONLY! What's Your Latest Blu-Ray or Blu-Ray-A, Concert or Music-Related?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, if you're a Clapton fan, this certainly is worth owning IMO. I'll dispense with the few niggly things that bothered this anal mind ;) It's a little pricey, about double the normal concert offerings from Eagle Rock. That is likely in large part because of the 2 cds that are part of the package, something I could have done without, YMMV of course. The video has a lot of black which appears to have a greyish tinge to it (and I have a plasma screen). And on Crossroads there is a lot of camera cutting (1-2 seconds) in the editing which I find seizure inducing. But that's the only song where that stuck out to me. All quite minor stuff really.

Shot in 1080i and placed on a 50gb disc, the audio codecs are 5.1 DTS-HD Master and LPCM 2.0. Make no mistake, if you don't like Clapton at his blusiest, this disc is not for you! I just love it. Great mix, the 5.1 is more than just crowd ambience in the surrounds. I have heard better, but not by much on a BD concert. The sound is fantastic. Vocals never get buried, and his guitar is always prominent which is what we came to hear, right? Nathan East's bass is right on IMO, not boomy but deep when it should be. Percussion and keyboards are also well done, cymbals are crisp and the midrange is hard to fathom it could be better. For a BD concert, I have absolutely no complaints about the 5.1 here. Outside of the minor black/grey complaint, the video is quite pristine for a concert. The band is stellar, Paul Carrack and Chris Stainton on keyboards, Steve Gadd on drums with Michelle John and Sharon White on backing vocals. And the afore mentioned Nathan East on bass, always a favourite of mine. And of course how is Eric's playing? It's the jewel in this concert, he's as good or better than ever. Apparently, 70 is the new 30 ;)
If you're a fan of the bluesy Clapton and don't mind the price, this one's a no brainer :music

I totally agree with this post.
I like the bluesy Clapton and i think the concert was much better than i had hoped for.
The audio is really excellent also.

New today:
Lenny Kravitz - Just Let Go Live
Rush - R40 Live

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 292
Sam Cooke "Portrait Of A Legend 1951-1964", Stereo Pure Audio BD-A. The music is great, I only knew a few of the tracks from my early childhood off the radio, sound quality is OK but they are very old recordings.

Sam Cooke "Portrait Of A Legend 1951-1964", Stereo Pure Audio BD-A. The music is great, I only knew a few of the tracks from my early childhood off the radio, sound quality is OK but they are very old recordings.

Wow...haven't heard that name in a long time...he died at 33 of a gunshot wound in a mysterious situation at a motel... a woman(the manager)claimed he attacked her..as he was unarmed...You Send Me is one of the classic songs of any era...he was smooth as silk...what a voice

Roger Waters the Wall. This Blu Ray does not do justice to concert IMO. There is no sense of largeness, not much ambiance, echo, reverb in rears most of the time. Occasional sound effect which is nice, but could have been so much better. The fronts sound great though.
Unfortunately for me my receiver will not respond to my remote, problem started again last night. I have had this fixed once. Immensely annoying. Marantz SR7005. Operating manually is pain in the neck. If I have this fixed I will be without surround music for weeks. Has anyone else had this issue? Remote works fine, it is the IR signal that is the problem.

Roger Waters the Wall. This Blu Ray does not do justice to concert IMO. There is no sense of largeness, not much ambiance, echo, reverb in rears most of the time. Occasional sound effect which is nice, but could have been so much better. The fronts sound great though.
Unfortunately for me my receiver will not respond to my remote, problem started again last night. I have had this fixed once. Immensely annoying. Marantz SR7005. Operating manually is pain in the neck. If I have this fixed I will be without surround music for weeks. Has anyone else had this issue? Remote works fine, it is the IR signal that is the problem.

Have you tried Marantz's smartphone control app?
The Yammy one is limited but pretty cool, with access to most everyday simple features (just not the setup stuff for tinkerers.. oh and works and looks great on the iPad..) I imagine the Marantz one is as good if not better?

The Who - Live in Hyde park
Queen - A night at the Odeon
Grateful Dead - Fare the well
I had big hopes for good surround on The Who and Queen but i am really dissapointed with them.
Both artists depend on that specially the guitar comes through with all its power.
On those discs you only get it through the stereo track.
Sometimes it is enough if you increase the volume to get what you want but not on these discs.
On the Grateful dead discs on the other hand the surround track is superb.
Here the problem is that you miss Jerry Garcia but they manage to give as good concert as you can excpect anyway.

But i really like all these discs even if i complain a bit.
All three concerts are really good.
I have gotten used to check which audio format i prefer for each disc i watch.

The Who - Live in Hyde park
Queen - A night at the Odeon
Grateful Dead - Fare the well
I had big hopes for good surround on The Who and Queen but i am really dissapointed with them.
Both artists depend on that specially the guitar comes through with all its power.
On those discs you only get it through the stereo track.
Sometimes it is enough if you increase the volume to get what you want but not on these discs.
On the Grateful dead discs on the other hand the surround track is superb.
Here is the problem is that you miss Jerry Garcia but they manage to give as good concert as you can excpect anyway.

But i really like all these discs even if i complain a bit.
All three concerts are really good.
I have gotten used to check which audio format i prefer for each disc i watch.

Thanks for posting.
I may pick up the Who's Live from Hyde Park disc at some point. It's a very similar show and setlist to the one I experienced in Nashville a few months earlier, which was great. It's just too bad though that the Hyde Park disc is missing a few good songs from that tour, like "Magic Bus" and "A Quick One While He's Away".

Bon Jovi - Slippery When Wet Blu-ray Pure Audio (though it has some excellent clips included).

I have heard one or two of the songs previously on the wireless in neighbours' houses (I have neither television nor radio) and had no idea who it was.

I bought this because the samples sounded promising. And it turns out to be pretty good. The mix suits the music - very much upfront, though there is a fair amount of discrete activity in the rear speakers.

It's loud, but by no means excessively so. All in all a successful purchase.

Last edited:
Frank Zappa - Roxy the Movie
I had no idea that this movie existed. I had only listened to the released audio before.
Apparently they had problems with the sound for the movie that were planned.
To now see what only has been on audio is really exciting.
And also that they at least played some tunes that the audience could recognize is interesting.
When i bought the audio many years ago i did it because i assumed that i would at least get songs from "Over-night sensation" and "Apostrophe" which were the new albums at the time.
I was a bit dissapointed with not getting it back then.
So this expanded Roxy & elsewhere with some songs from my favourite albums is perfect for me.
The audio is really good with an surround track that is OK.

Have you tried Marantz's smartphone control app?
The Yammy one is limited but pretty cool, with access to most everyday simple features (just not the setup stuff for tinkerers.. oh and works and looks great on the iPad..) I imagine the Marantz one is as good if not better?

The Marantz receiver is now discontinued, it will not work with any app unfortunately. I will have to get it fixed again.

The Marantz receiver is now discontinued, it will not work with any app unfortunately. I will have to get it fixed again.

Oh ok.. fwiw the iTunes App Store says the latest revision of the Marantz App is compatible with your receiver.
(I've highlighted the SR7005 bit in yellow in the pic below)

marantz app.jpg

image.jpeg

Franz Schubert (1797-1828): String Quartet No. 13 in A minor D. 804, “Rosamunde”
Maja Solveig Kjelstrup Ratkje (1973-): Tale of Lead and Light (2011)
Benjamin Britten (1913-1976): String Quartet No. 2 in C major, Op. 36
Joseph Haydn (1732-1809): String Quartet in C major*, Op. 76 No. 3, “Emperor”

Engegårdkvartetten (Engegård Quartet)

Back