What's the Latest MATRIX LP/CD Added to Your Pile? SQ, QS, RM, EV

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If your searching the bins in used record stores Adam, watch out for this one, look twice if you blink you could miss the quad emblem.
Hard to find CHICAGO SQ DISC.View attachment 20254View attachment 20255

And this one you should check the spine for quad indicator, but I would also do a physical view of the vinyl.View attachment 20256View attachment 20257

I have a DVD-A t/fer of this one somewhere and I'm sure there's no way I could improve upon it soundwise as it sounds wonderful.. so it's on the shopping list but with slightly lower priority at present :)

The unreleased 5.1 DVD-A of Chicago X is a different mix than the SQ/Q8 Quad mix.

A factory sealed Chicago VII stereo LP had a blue sticker on the shrink wrap:
Chicago-Chicago-VII---Sea-476938.jpg

A factory sealed Chicago VII SQ Quad LP had a green sticker on the shrink wrap:
chicago-vii-columbia-quadraphonic-2x-lp-m-shrink-sticker_7882738.jpeg
Korvettes price sticker is optional. I MISS KORVETTES!! In their day, the world's LARGEST retailer of records & tapes!!
4.+korvette_march9.jpg

And, yes, the spine will have either a 2ch stereo prefix, or an SQ Quad prefix, depending on which it is.

That's The Way Of The World - Earth, Wind & Fire (SQ LP)

View attachment 20301

View attachment 20302

Quad Remix by A.N.Onymous :D

Does anybody know who remixed this one?
I'm trying to collate as much info on Quad's "backroom boys" for a pet project..

Ps. I can't speak about how good the SQ is on this one (yet..) but sound quality absolutely stomps its platform shoes all over the Q8! Wow!

War Of The Gods - Billy Paul (SQ LP)

View attachment 20305

View attachment 20306

Side 1 is a bit of a slog (I'd forgotten how long drawn out his stuff could be at times... its like a visit to the dentist, you can't wait for it to end but the pain goes on and on..! ) but Side 2 is absolutely wonderful..!!

I can see the intent (and I can see the light!) but if they'd edited the 2 tracks on Side 1 a tad, slipped a little shorty in at the end of that side and then onto the triumph of Side 2, this would probably have a much better chance of seeing reissue from AF etc.. as it is, its a tough sell to today's buyers I imagine.. 360 Degrees Of Billy got a better chance nowadays I guess? (even with Mrs. Jones being an alternate mix and take..!).. what do y'all think?

I bought War of the Gods on Q8 the first week it was out. BORING! Get 360 Degrees and/or Live.

Side 1 is a bit of a slog (I'd forgotten how long drawn out his stuff could be at times... its like a visit to the dentist, you can't wait for it to end but the pain goes on and on..! ) but Side 2 is absolutely wonderful..!!

I can see the intent (and I can see the light!) but if they'd edited the 2 tracks on Side 1 a tad, slipped a little shorty in at the end of that side and then onto the triumph of Side 2, this would probably have a much better chance of seeing reissue from AF etc.. as it is, its a tough sell to today's buyers I imagine.. 360 Degrees Of Billy got a better chance nowadays I guess? (even with Mrs. Jones being an alternate mix and take..!).. what do y'all think?

The oft-derided quad version of Pretzel Logic by Steely Dan. One run through so far with the Surround Master Vinyl Beta and it's revealing itself better than the conversions I have heard previously. Everything breathes a shade clearer, it's not exactly a discrete showcase but it is not double stereo.

FullSizeRender-2.jpg

There's so little to read about the Staples Singers' 'Be What You Are' - the cover has the additional sticker to denote the SQ encoding so there is no 'mixed by' or anything. This copy is super clean and super quiet but it's maybe missing an insert perhaps? It was also pretty cheap, but I have no idea if this is rare or not.

I love this so much; side two is the place to be - not to detract from side one, which is amazing but it's that awesome feeling of flipping the record and everything going up a notch. Glorious.

FullSizeRender-3 copy.jpg
FullSizeRender-4 copy.jpg

The Staple Singers is a good LP, only hampered by its relative obscurity due to a lack of their big hit. I don't remember it being terribly discreet sounding, but full of good sound. I should dig this out and play it again. It is easy enough to find, even with the stickers on the shrink wrap. No one should enter in a bidding war on it as it isn't very popular, but I dare anyone to find a Staples LP that sounds bad or is not worth owning. That would be like saying the Beatles had a bad LP...

Back