What's the Latest MATRIX LP/CD Added to Your Pile? SQ, QS, RM, EV

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quad Linda

Staff member
This thread was begging to be started. A new Quad acquisition is always a joy. Please note if you acquired a sealed LP.

Booger Bear SQ-Buddy Miles A terriffic, overlooked album. I have a 2ch LP and a Q8. I also purchased a CD of this, which was just released a few months ago. A Miles original, Why, is the best track here. Killer covers of Kinks' You Really Got Me, Messina's Thinking of You and Stylistics' You Are Everything. Great Quad mix of a large group w/horns, though a bit light on bass. The CD has the best bass. Most of my listening has been on Q8. The SQ is my fave version of this. Crank up the bass. GET IT!

Joy SQ-Isaac Hayes The title track is very good, but too long. Most of the rest is forgettable. I own a Q8 and CD, so I never knew the cover is embossed. Like all the Stax/Enterprise SQ's, they use a stereo LP jacket w/SQ stickers wrapped around the spine and on the front cover. Cheesy.

John Coltrane Live in Japan QS from a MONO radio broadcast. Vintage Coltrane from Impulse. "Mixed" or more accurately muddled for QS! Like electronic stereo, I would have preferred that they left it as mono. One channel of fidelity beats multiple channels of slop every time.

Although a year old, I have a sealed SQ of Full Sail eagerly awaiting a future new turntable/cartridge purchase. It still has the Korvettes price sticker. I own another SQ, Q8, DBX LP and Mofi CD of it. I've also owned 2ch LP, Direct Disc Labs 1/2 speed, CD and cassette of this. The SQ is the best and the DBX LP is the best 2ch. Motherlode, the follow up was sadly never released as Quad. Motherlode is their best, but Full Sail is one of the best Quads by anyone. YOU NEED IT!

Linda
I Got Half a Mind to Close My Eyes and Let the String Go. Sailin' the Wind

reverse that - in a bit i am going to get all quad lps out of my life - i will post here - and let you peeps know first - and no - i dont have anything rare - but what i did buy last was a childrens '4 record set' in one package - but there were 2 available so i bought both - 'cock a doodle doo and mother goose too' 118 childrens classics - somebody tell me which one is quad - i can tell there is something amiss - one sez -

pca-8000873 - stereo - qs - regular matrix .............1973 telecast product
the other
pca-8000 and the same jibberish as the other
but on the back of this one it does say real tiny - this is a stereo record produced for and dist. by telecast marketing - one of the carlson companies.......
well - whoever carlson is - must be a bigshot to have so many companies and all.

i think i just answered my own question.

but you know what? the only info i could find on this lp after googling it was on this site - doug g - you need these so you can hear them in stereo and in quad - y'know a testlike thing - you too old quad guy.

cheers to all and jeers to none

willy

hey quad linda...i am sansuigirl at AK....just sayin

What are the chances of getting a rip of the Quad version so it can be released for all to enjoy. All i can think of is what a great way of getting our kids into Quad!

OD

well - okay - but that is someone else - i am definitely not the one to record or rip anything - i paid 20 bucks for the two different examples - so if someone wants them - i am here for the benefit of the group - gettem from me record them - send them back - im not scared - but i have a few things to get to some members that i should accomplish first - but if someone wants em - fine by me - i dont have a cd4 or quad ttable.

cheers

william

well - okay - but that is someone else - i am definitely not the one to record or rip anything - i paid 20 bucks for the two different examples

I do understand what you mean, i've paid oout quite a bit of cash on Quad albums since starting the blog, only to give the decoded albums for free, but as you say, i'm here for the benefit of the group - and other Quadraphiles around the world

OD

And don't think it's not appreciated, OD! I for one am very grateful for the work you're doing. Thank you.

My latest Matrix vinyl acquisition is a beautiful copy of Chicago II that's waiting for a rip.

Chase pure music sq
Stanley Turrentine Don't Mess with Mister T sq
Orchestral music of Debussy vols 2 and 3 sq

Harvey Mandel's "Get Off In Chicago" (QS), for some reason I always see this categorized as jazz???? Its predominantly blues based rock.
Found at my local store, along with a Telarc 5.1 SACD of McCoy Tyner's "Illuminations", second song is killer latin jazz, surrounds though...not so active. John

Barbara Streisand ST various movie songs SQ
Fibich Symphony #2 SQ Supraphon
Light Sibelius EMI/Odeon SQ
Art Garfunkle Angel Clare SQ - wonderful album, my second copy!

Hi Linda, no. I think the title was her name then featuring a song from the way we were. Don't have the record handy right now, this is a familiar album you've seen but I'm not a knowledgeable Barbara fan. It also came with the wrong inner sleeve so I can't check credits etc.

OK Linda, I've got the album here.
PCQ 32801 Barbara Streisand jacket spine says Featuring The Way We Were And All In Love Is Fair.
The gold label on the record adds the words Featuring The Hit Single. I'm sure this is the one you have.

It is. I always envied her long red fingernails on that cover. I had mine like that for awhile. It's a great album. Enjoy!

OK Linda, I've got the album here.
PCQ 32801 Barbara Streisand jacket spine says Featuring The Way We Were And All In Love Is Fair.
The gold label on the record adds the words Featuring The Hit Single. I'm sure this is the one you have.

I acquired Rotoscope Down when it was originally released. A decent performance, and a great collector's item for hard core fans, but it sounds like crap, IMHO. Questionably Quad, although it declares that it is.

"Rufusized" with Chaka Khan and "Touch" by Mort Subotnik picked up this weekend in a shop.........also a clean copy of Steely Dan's "Rotoscope Down", live 1973 boot on TAKRL.......supposedly quad!

I acquired Rotoscope Down when it was originally released. A decent performance, and a great collector's item for hard core fans, but it sounds like crap, IMHO. Questionably Quad, although it declares that it is.

Agree on the sound quality....it could have been pressed last night but that wouldn't overcome the noisy quality of the sound and nearly complete lack of bass frequencies.
An inspired performance though, before "smooth jazz" became second nature to them. John O.K.- The TAKRLs are whole 'nother sub-genre for collecting!

Back