What's the Latest MATRIX LP/CD Added to Your Pile? SQ, QS, RM, EV

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi. All

Another matrix LP.

( PYE.4D QS NSPL-41050 The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra & Chorus )

I can't remember if I've bleated about this over here already, but with many UK PYE manufactured records from the 70s if you hold them up to the light they are actually coloured vinyl. They tend to be in the blue-green or red-purple shades.

I can't remember if I've bleated about this over here already, but with many UK PYE manufactured records from the 70s if you hold them up to the light they are actually coloured vinyl. They tend to be in the blue-green or red-purple shades.

All records have coloured dyes in them. The Pye discs just have less. It also makes it really easy to see flaws caused by recycled vinyl with label particles chewed up inside. US and Canadian A& M LP's were green or purple or brown in the 80's. Audiophool labels also appear translucent quite often, erroneously leading some to believe they are getting "virgin vinyl". If you take any old scrap record with a bump in the pressing, I can guarantee that if you dig into the bump with a knife, you will find the bir of label causing the flaw.

All records have coloured dyes in them. The Pye discs just have less. It also makes it really easy to see flaws caused by recycled vinyl with label particles chewed up inside. US and Canadian A& M LP's were green or purple or brown in the 80's.

I don't recall seeing the label particles in the PYE stuff. Hopefully will remember to check out the 80's A&M.

I don't recall seeing the label particles in the PYE stuff. Hopefully will remember to check out the 80's A&M.

afaik Pye pressed some of the Elton records for DJM? (maybe all I don't know?) some great sounding vinyl in there imho., up until AF's CD of Rock Of The Westies the Pye pressed LP my brother gave me was the best I'd ever heard the album, fabulous sound.

Edit: I've got a light box somewhere, I'll take some snaps of the EJ DJMs plonked on it sometime, we can see if there's bits in the vinyl! :p

Some of those LPs.. you see I've forgotten if they're green or they're blue.. I know I've got a Caribou somewhere that when you hold it up to the light turns red. Pretty cool that, seeing as they were gonna call the album "Ol' Pink Eyes Is Back" at one point, apparently :eek:

Edit: When I say "I've got a Caribou", I mean a record of course, not a four-legged beast from Canada! :D

afaik Pye pressed some of the Elton records for DJM? (maybe all I don't know?)

Many, but not all I think. In a record shop where I help out we've got/had the PYE/DJM Goodbye... and I dipped into the title track to check a new stylus. It sounded great!

Hi. Circular Vibes

I am a collector of PYE 4D LP`s I most likely have about 80 LP`s some are red tinted I have noticed, but I am happy over all of the quality of them.
PYE was one of the first company supporting the Sansui QS matrix system well before the big labels jumped in on CBS SQ system. PYE at the time was really a small fry label who saw the potential in this Quad format .

All records have coloured dyes in them. The Pye discs just have less. It also makes it really easy to see flaws caused by recycled vinyl with label particles chewed up inside. US and Canadian A& M LP's were green or purple or brown in the 80's. Audiophool labels also appear translucent quite often, erroneously leading some to believe they are getting "virgin vinyl". If you take any old scrap record with a bump in the pressing, I can guarantee that if you dig into the bump with a knife, you will find the bir of label causing the flaw.

Last edited:
PYE at the time was really a small fry label...

Which is strange as they had The Kinks, Sandy Shaw, and The Searchers (and The Muppets in the UK in the 70s) and then somehow - it seems - became an easy listening label, and distributer/manufacturer for DJM and 20th Century <something> (Barry White's label in the 70s.)

I'll have to give it a try with an Exacto knife. Then I'll post a picture of the piece of label in the vinyl on one of those sites that keep listing all the reasons why vinyl is so much better than SACD, DVD-A and all the other hi-res digital formats.:smokin

I should be clear that I am not knocking records with more OR less colouring dyes in them. All LP's have the potential to sound great, depending on many factors, colour NOT being one of them. Recycled vinyl tends to have been mixed with more dyes, therefore being non-translucent. I used to have a few Beatles LP's that came from a guy who worked at Capitol Records in Canada, and they were red or blue with exploded labels inside the vinyl. Looked cool, played like sandpaper. These were bad pressings saved from the recycle cart. There were two labels per side, one in the right place and one inside the vinyl, exploded. It was caused by the press mistakenly using two labels per side. Now, if I only still had the Helen Reddy's Greatest hits on clear vinyl.... It was the best copy I ever heard.

Yes....Mike the Fish... you are correct and they even had David Bowie on there books for short time..

Which is strange as they had The Kinks, Sandy Shaw, and The Searchers (and The Muppets in the UK in the 70s) and then somehow - it seems - became an easy listening label, and distributer/manufacturer for DJM and 20th Century <something> (Barry White's label in the 70s.)

So true, so true.

And also no quad Donavon, or Status Quo. They really screwed up promoting their quad product by limiting the listener to one genre when they had such stellar rock folk artists in their stable.

Also had some quad clasical artists on their budget label MARBLE ARCH ,,which featured some of these same rock/pop/folk icons but again none offered in quad.

Hi. All

Some more matrix LP`s

( Columbia. SQ BTQ 158473 -A Mini Discourse By E. Power Biggs 7'' )-
( EMI. SQ (ADS 3466) 02961Q -Bizet Les Pecheurs De Perles 2 LP Box set )-
( Bell Records. SQ BSQ 4200 -Twenty Songs Of The Century Michel Legrand 2 LP Box set )-

IMG_0299.jpg
IMG_0300.jpg

AA 3..jpg
IMG_0303.jpg

AA 2..jpg
IMG_0306.jpg

Hi. jaybird100

I have a good Japanese seller how I buy from most of these SQ-QS-CD-4 wear only available in Japan, I get most of them for a fair price, most go for very hi prices on ebay so I am very lucky in that respect.
Bill...
PS. I still buy from ebay- discogs- amazon....

Where are you finding all these records? Is there something you know about in New Zealand that we have yet to discover here in the US?

Hi. All

Another bunch of matrix LP`s

( SSS International Record QS LQ 35009 -Hawaiian Gold Tennessee Guitar )-
( Crown Records. QS GW 7025Q -Shintaro Arita & New Beat Friends Drum Drum Drum )-
( Supraphon. SQ 1410 2699 QG Josef Suk A Fairy -Tale )-
( Tudor Records. QS Wiadimir Vogel Konzert fur Violine & Orchester )-

IMG_1161.jpg
IMG_1162.jpg
IMG_1163.jpg

IMG_1164.jpg
IMG_1165.jpg
IMG_1166.jpg

IMG_1167.jpg
IMG_1168.jpg
IMG_1172.jpg

Back