What's the Latest MATRIX LP/CD Added to Your Pile? SQ, QS, RM, EV

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for that. Yes, a little more research reveals that 'SN Stretcher' was a trademark that Dolby applied to the early versions of Dolby A. I'm sure that lots of studios must have used it but that most record companies didn't emblazon "Dolby System" on their discs. Some marketing hype being used here that may actually have been counter-productive - I wonder how many people didn't buy such discs thinking they'd need a Dolby decoder?!

Yes I thought as much that it was part of the recording process and not encoded on the LP but Turnabout Records did use DBX on a catalogue of there LP`s that had DBX that had to be decoded with a black box for higher dynamic range than a normal LP it was supposedly be 80 to 90 db. high dynamic range and they where QS encoded as well.

R-9320944-1478544006-9635_jpeg.jpg

Yes I thought as much that it was part of the recording process and not encoded on the LP but Turnabout Records did use DBX on a catalogue of there LP`s that had DBX that had to be decoded with a black box for higher dynamic range than a normal LP it was supposedly be 80 to 90 db. high dynamic range and they where QS encoded as well.

Fascinating Bill - what does it sound like if, like most people even in the seventies I guess, you don't have a dbx expander lying around - horribly compressed I would imagine?

View attachment 31430

Oh, this is right up Quad Linda's alley...she' always singing the praises of dbx encoded LPs!!! Which I am SURE sounded FANTASTIC!!!!

Fascinating Bill - what does it sound like if, like most people even in the seventies I guess, you don't have a dbx expander lying around - horribly compressed I would imagine?

Hi. Soundfield

No I do not have DBX unit but I was tempted to go down that road, I think there where popular groups you could get DBXed but they where Stereo only, There where a view record labels how put out DBX QS classical music and Turnabout records was one how did. But now these DBX LP`s fetch a high price now
So with a full dynamic range on a LP it must of sounded fantastic,.but the LP would need to be in a mint state you would not want a scratch to be decoded and expanded to your 4 speakers...............:nuke.....................

Acquired another one sealed since 1976! This one by the late, great, David Munrow and his fabulous band.
Whilst I enjoy these 'mint' findings, I've sometimes found such things actually need a lot of cleaning as the vintage inner liner can have started to turn to dust!

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 206
  • back.jpg
    back.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 217
Some interesting Review Copies just received. Since they are still sealed I guess no one ever reviewed them!A.jpgB.jpgC.jpgD.jpgE.jpgF.jpg

Just arrived from Germany this still sealed 1972 limited edition Electrola pressing. I always liked these “Quadraphonie” Electrola discs which had a certain luxury style about them. I remember that, back in the day, on the rare occasions when you could get them in the UK they always commanded premium prices (and I still have a couple that I bought new despite being a poor engineering student back in the seventies). However it was worth it as they are always great recordings. A lot of them, like this one, featured Herbert Von Karajan, probably because he was always a champion of the use of latest technology in his recordings and obviously couldn’t resist the lure of SQ!

Attachments

• TKfront.JPG
    TKfront.JPG
    111.2 KB · Views: 129
  • TKback.jpg
    TKback.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 136
Hi. fizzy

I have this LP to, but the original the symbol SQ is on the top left hand of the LP in the brick wall and was not very visible to look at.
I am a great fan of Jimmy Smith he invented jazz on the Hammond Organ its a pity that he didn`t release more SQ Quad LP`s .....

Thanks BBQ .:D

After finding this rather secretive SQ encoded disc , and well it did escape our quad sleuthty attentions for a very long time (don't know who or when it was discovered )......there is another MOJO record of his which immediately follows this . But alas...no quad matrix indicator .:rolleyes:

He has a unique catalog of titles.....and I keep seeing one of his earlier works.....him catching the Baltimore And Ohio box car on freight train (on SACD stereo ). Cool picture I think.

That's a way cool find of Sam Taylor on Crown records BBQ .

He actually has four quad titles on that label fwiw . Could even be more ?

I noticed his listings of quad albums from a Japanese QS release sheet (fr 75 ).

A little follow up on Crown Records Japan.....quad discs ....up till 1975, that is. Quad history tells us that the Japanese had a stronger consumer market.....and thusly quad releases continued there a bit longer than North American or European markets .
(Correction...3 Sam Taylors )

Three Sam Taylors...and one from Xavier Cugat from the Crown quad listings via a listing of QS encoded Japanese titles... are :

Sam Taylor And His Orchestra - Over The Rainbow GW-7036Q

Sam Taylor And His Orchestra-A Shower In Kyoto LW-1361Q

Sam Taylor And His Orchestra - Come To The Snow Country LW-1362Q

Xavier Cugat - Latin Best 14 - GW 7051Q

A little follow up on Crown Records Japan.....quad discs ....up till 1975, that is. Quad history tells us that the Japanese had a stronger consumer market.....and thusly quad releases continued there a bit longer than North American or European markets .
(Correction...3 Sam Taylors )

Three Sam Taylors...and one from Xavier Cugat from the Crown quad listings via a listing of QS encoded Japanese titles... are :

Sam Taylor And His Orchestra - Over The Rainbow GW-7036Q

Sam Taylor And His Orchestra-A Shower In Kyoto LW-1361Q

Sam Taylor And His Orchestra - Come To The Snow Country LW-1362Q

Xavier Cugat - Latin Best 14 - GW 7051Q

Thanks fizzy I`ll try and see if I can come up with any more that's on your list....

Just acquired this Boulez Conducts Bartók / New York Philharmonic ‎– The Miraculous Mandarin (Complete) / Dance Suite – a bit battered but still (just) sealed, it’s that thin brittle cellophane stuff which is torn in several places. What I find particularly interesting is how it has been 'over-labelled' – something I’ve not seen on any CBS Gold Border SQ before. On the top front right where the printed SQ logo normally sits on these releases a metalised SQ badge has been applied. Even more curiously on the rear, where the compatibility stuff about SQ recordings is normally printed, that standard text has been applied as an adhesive plastic tape which has aged rather badly (!) Why this was done is something of a mystery as the sleeve does in fact seem to carry the very same words printed underneath, which you can just still make out. This was an early release (1972) so I guess CBS were still trying out the house style for their Gold Border issues and this seems to be a rather hand finished example and I’m guessing there aren’t many still around in this form. Anyone seen anything similar? - All other references to this disc I can find on-line show it in a form with the conventional directly printed logo and instructions.

Attachments

• LP101.jpg
    LP101.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 148
  • LP102.jpg
    LP102.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 137
  • LP103.jpg
    LP103.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 138
  • LP104.jpg
    LP104.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 136
Just acquired this Boulez Conducts Bartók / New York Philharmonic ‎– The Miraculous Mandarin (Complete) / Dance Suite – a bit battered but still (just) sealed, it’s that thin brittle cellophane stuff which is torn in several places. What I find particularly interesting is how it has been 'over-labelled' – something I’ve not seen on any CBS Gold Border SQ before. On the top front right where the printed SQ logo normally sits on these releases a metalised SQ badge has been applied. Even more curiously on the rear, where the compatibility stuff about SQ recordings is normally printed, that standard text has been applied as an adhesive plastic tape which has aged rather badly (!) Why this was done is something of a mystery as the sleeve does in fact seem to carry the very same words printed underneath, which you can just still make out. This was an early release (1972) so I guess CBS were still trying out the house style for their Gold Border issues and this seems to be a rather hand finished example and I’m guessing there aren’t many still around in this form. Anyone seen anything similar? - All other references to this disc I can find on-line show it in a form with the conventional directly printed logo and instructions.

could it be a Columbia import into a territory where Columbia was another labels' imprint (such as with EMI in the UK)?

I do have some Columbia SQ LPs of Rock/Pop material (BT Express "Energy To Burn", Johnnie Taylor "Eargasm", Paul Simon "There Goes Rhymin Simon" among them off the top of my head) which have their Columbia logos on both the sleeve and the record label pasted over with CBS stickers, 2 of those SQ LPs have import stickers on them also. i bought all 3 discs from UK/Euro sellers fwiw.

could it be a Columbia import into a territory where Columbia was another labels' imprint (such as with EMI in the UK)?

I do have some Columbia SQ LPs of Rock/Pop material (BT Express "Energy To Burn", Johnnie Taylor "Eargasm", Paul Simon "There Goes Rhymin Simon" among them off the top of my head) which have their Columbia logos on both the sleeve and the record label pasted over with CBS stickers, 2 of those SQ LPs have import stickers on them also. i bought all 3 discs from UK/Euro sellers fwiw.

this is the kind of thing i mean, with the imported disc on the left all mention of Columbia obscured with stickers (and even black marker pen on the record labels) with CBS logo etc., whereas the copy from a seller in the States on the right has Columbia logos and so forth..

soBJifr.jpg

I1MboVf.jpg

Back