What's the Latest MATRIX LP/CD Added to Your Pile? SQ, QS, RM, EV

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two more SQ discs. Cover on Wired looks a little rough, so I am crossing my fingers...
Beck wired.jpgSantana III.jpg

I am playing
Exile One QS
A French pressing a lots of beat
and good surround

It depends on the pressing. I believe that the early Ovation titles, such as After All This Time were all EV-4. A repress would have been QS. Perhaps one of the other members would know what the dead wax should say for both.

The self-titled Bonnie Koloc is definitely QS. It's also one of my favorite Quads, as is the Rough & Ready SQ.

I'm not sure what the decoding scheme for the cat is. :smokin

I'm guessing the two Ovation may be EV-4, but should be close enough in QS.

Yea that top KOLOC disc probably is QS.So hard to tell sometimes.The bottom one I have and looks identical, no EV sticker on it, but the pressing looks like a first edition, so mine is probably EV-4.I have the Paul Horn Ovation disc in both QS and EV -4, one with the sticker the other clearly states on reverse cover QS.And in Canada London Records pressed some of the Ovation discs, so unless they used U.S. disc stampers, it was even more difficult to determine at times.My Koloc disc is U.S. copy though, they also distributed U.S. copies here in addition to pressing London Records' copies.

I only mentioned the variances in this instance because I was under the impression that some Ovation discs previously in EV-4 may still be
in that format and Larry Clifton had difficulty in Ovation's information as opposed to Project 3's indication information.Now of course I could be wrong, I'm no expert when it comes to detemining these two matrices on a listening test.There may be more timely information on these Ovation discs determinations that I'm not aware of.Quad Linda points out some very good information btw.So please don't recognize my view as being the gospel nor the final word.My personal observation of Ovation discs remains confusing when it comes to actual matrix utilized on their early releases.

sqtillskott1.jpg
sqtillskott2.jpg

This weeks additions. I´ve always loved the original Tubular Bells but this one blew my socks off! Very nice box too including Biography booklet & Tubular bells sticker i have not seen before! 3 Euros in Finland....nice price indeed.:D

Japanese import -an excellent pressing of a classic quad disc.To bad these Japanese QUADS on Sony were so hard to obtain back in the 70's
at least in the North American market.I only ever saw approximately five or six in the Import sections locally.20150429_192549.jpg20150429_192602.jpg

I shopped virtually EVERY record store/department in both Chicago and Milwaukee in the Quad days. The only Quad imports I ever saw were the EMI SQ imports (Atom Heart, Dark Side, Machine Head, ELO, Tubular Bells,) a few classical titles, and the German Hand Made by Passport. Never did I see any Quad imports of titles that were currently available on Quad LP's. Being a Sergio Mendes fan, in '77, I specially ordered a Japanese Carnival Live in Japan LP. To my surprise, I discovered it was SQ encoded when it arrived. This title was never issued in the US on any format.
Unknown.jpeg

I'm convinced that the Japanese adopted a single inventory quad policy for the 70's.When it came to Sony, if it was available in quad those were the copies I saw in the import section.The only stereo copies I saw were stereo only releases.They seemed to want to promote quad over stereo when the option to do so was provided.Stereo Quad compatible records meant just that in the Japanese market.Why Sony did this so early on and Columbia (CBS) chickened out until the last 2 years of quad,will always be a major disappointment.I'm still scratching my head to this day trying to comprehend their rationale or lack thereof!!

Back