What's the Latest MATRIX LP/CD Added to Your Pile? SQ, QS, RM, EV

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It depends on the pressing. I believe that the early Ovation titles, such as After All This Time were all EV-4. A repress would have been QS. Perhaps one of the other members would know what the dead wax should say for both.

The self-titled Bonnie Koloc is definitely QS. It's also one of my favorite Quads, as is the Rough & Ready SQ.

I'm not sure what the decoding scheme for the cat is. :smokin

Rosey Posey decodes purr-fectly as CD-PAW.

Having checked the sleeves they are described as follows:

IMG_2500.jpg
IMG_2498.jpg

After All This Time shows this:

IMG_2501.jpg

After All This Time shows this on the dead wax:

IMG_2507.jpg

At this time I am still waiting for the Surround Master SQ/QS to be optimized for vinyl so I can't actually tell you much more other than they sound very nice in stereo for now and were not expensive to procure in NM condition.

Thanks to you guys for the feedback and assistance!

Picked up two SQ NM bargains in San Francisco at a store called Dijital Fix who have a tiny but excellent used vinyl section; the fourth Bonnie Koloc came from Ebay. Cover is in fairly battered condition but the vinyl is NM.

View attachment 18653

Mycuff; Perhaps I can live blog pricing/condition at the next Rock N Swap? There were quite a few CD4s to be had.

Sure thing. I am interested in rock, hard rock, country rock, electric blues rock, prog rock, some soft rock (like America) and jazz rock fusion. Not into easy listening, classical, soft pop, vocalists, etc. That should narrow down the choices considerably. If anything is borderline in the category like Simon and/or Garfunkel, and super cheap, I might be interested. Just let me know when you might hit the next one and I will be online or have my phone handy. You should get a consignment fee, plus shipping, and the accolades for me to share with the QQ community of course!

My latest matrix...
Chase.jpg

Well I was lucky enough to bid high enough on this one. Reportedly unplayed and has a promo stamp. We shall see...
aerosmith.jpg

Larry Coryell: Offering, SQ, vintage from my local high end audio shop
Morton Subotnick: Touch, SQ, vintage from eBay
The Subotnick was comissioned by and recorded as a quadraphonic showcase by Columbia. Has to be my most discrete sounding SQ LP.
The Coryell, like all the Vanguard pop/jazz LP's I have, sounds like stereo with ambience. Not a whole lot of panning and rear channel localization going on.

erniegiro

Have you listened to Joan Baez's "Blessed are..." on Vangard? Rear placement of instruments with her voice in front with a few other instruments is well done. Not sure what [you] mean by "panning", but rear activity is very good as well as front and front/back. I have found that Vangard and Angel, especually classical recordings, to be quite good.

Sure thing. I am interested in rock, hard rock, country rock, electric blues rock, prog rock, some soft rock (like America) and jazz rock fusion. Not into easy listening, classical, soft pop, vocalists, etc. That should narrow down the choices considerably. If anything is borderline in the category like Simon and/or Garfunkel, and super cheap, I might be interested. Just let me know when you might hit the next one and I will be online or have my phone handy. You should get a consignment fee, plus shipping, and the accolades for me to share with the QQ community of course!

My latest matrix...
View attachment 18665

Looks like the next one I'm around for will be in November; but the search continues in the meantime! I'll keep my eye out based on your tastes.

erniegiro

Have you listened to Joan Baez's "Blessed are..." on Vangard? Rear placement of instruments with her voice in front with a few other instruments is well done. Not sure what [you] mean by "panning", but rear activity is very good as well as front and front/back. I have found that Vangard and Angel, especually classical recordings, to be quite good.

Listening to it as I type, just finished side 1, you are right, vocal up front, on "Night they drove old Dixie down" chorus, strings, etc in back, production suits the material, quiet and subtle, but still not a "showpiece" for front to back separation, IMHO.

Gotta love the Peaches sticker on the shrinkwrap. I have fond memories of the Peaches store here in Atlanta on Peachtree, and still have a bunch of their crates to store LP's!

This weeks additions:
sqtillskott3.jpg

The "introduction to SQ" LP was not as impressive as one might think( i would choose Tubular Bells over this to impress people anyday) BUT i didnt know i like Barbra Streisand until now so that was nice!
(well i like looking at her in late 60s/early 70s movies. I REALLY like that.:mad:@:)
There will be at least one Barbra record in the LP collection in the future thanks to Quad!:D

The Caravanserai was as great experience as when i first got it in stereo 20 years ago but a very sloppy pressing. US mid-70s vinyl at its worst IMHO.

And this calls for a celebration, i now have 10 SQ albums in my collection!:rolleyes::D (If you count "Boxed" as 1 record)
This was just what i needed, turning 40 and all... An excuse to buy my record collection all over again! Since i never got on the CD train i guess its allright...

Gotta love the Peaches sticker on the shrinkwrap. I have fond memories of the Peaches store here in Atlanta on Peachtree, and still have a bunch of their crates to store LP's!
Those crates are cool indeed, and probably worth some $$. I wish I knew where the one crate I used to have went...

Jim Stagg, a friend of mine who owned Record City and was a Chicago DJ, had a guy managing one of his stores that I got to know. "Oh, I'm leaving Jim and going to be a buyer at Peaches in Milwaukee. So, you won't get to see me anymore." I replied, "sure I will. I visit accounts there for a day or two every week." So, I got deals at Peaches, too. It was a huge store, which used to be a Red Owl supermarket. Fantastic imports and Quads. I miss Peaches.
images.jpeg

Another add to my slowly growing collection. I think I am up to 30 titles including CD-4 and SQ. Cover on this one a little beat up, but that seems to happen more on the double albums.
CTA.jpg

Another add to my slowly growing collection. I think I am up to 30 titles including CD-4 and SQ. Cover on this one a little beat up, but that seems to happen more on the double albums.

Glad to see your copy isn't a salad bowl like in another thread! Great quad find.:)

View attachment 18750

That cover is in better condition than my original purchased new back in the day! Now it used to be at least better than now.

Should have puchased plastic sleeves to protect the album cover, especially this one as I played it many times.After all it is great music with an excellent SQ QUAD mix.A true showpiece for quad done well.

Great find!

Been adding some QS records including this one, I'll post images of additional ones later:

IMG_2539.jpg

The cat keeps getting in my sweet spot though:

IMG_2540.jpg

Back