What's the Latest MATRIX LP/CD Added to Your Pile? SQ, QS, RM, EV

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That depends of your affinity.

I always get sentimental looking at floppy discs... ;)

-Kristian

I used to love and cherish my LPs like they were my babies.. like so many music fans I got out of the habit of not only buying but listening to vinyl the last 20 years and poured my love into shiny optical discs of varying sizes and formats.. now the time has come for me to reignite the flames of my love for vinyl.. and I think the flames are burning higher than they ever did.. though I better keep them away from the records themselves or they'll melt..! :D
what i regret is that too late QQ board come out and too late i found it.
i do remember late 90s and boxes full of LPs, turntables in back alleys on garbage collection days. flea markets with LPs 3 to 5 bucks for box, size about milk crate.
i have over thousand LPs but... back then i wasn't looking for quad LPs and first SQ LP i purchased only in 2009. i can imagine how many of them went to city dump.

Like all CTI & Kudu Quads, Johnny Hammond is SQ. A great album that I have in SQ, as well as a Q8 from when it was new. A sleeper!

No mention anywhere on the sleeve, but Linda is correct as always. It's the least amount of vinyl you could use to make a record and not have the needle poke through to the other side as well!

No mention anywhere on the sleeve, but Linda is correct as always. It's the least amount of vinyl you could use to make a record and not have the needle poke through to the other side as well!

Another floppy disc! :yikes

Edit: What's the QQ consensus on ultra thin vinyl?

Fwiw, I've got quite a few RCA Dynaflex (so thin you could slip them under the door!) that sound positively lovely!

Hi. All
Another 2 LP`S came today (ABC. Command QS. Count Basie Broadway Basie`s Way )-(CBS. SQ. Vivaldi The Four Seasons ).
Bill...

B V.jpg

Hi. All
Another 2 LP`S came today (ABC. Command QS. Count Basie Broadway Basie`s Way )-(CBS. SQ. Vivaldi The Four Seasons ).
Bill...

View attachment 20541

Hi Bill, when you have the time to play the Four Seasons disc, could you let us know if it is an active Quad with isolated instruments discrete in all 4 speakers or just hall ambience effect with reverb in the rears?
Thank you :)

Hi. fredblue
I would like to but at the moment, I am still in the proses of moving into a new home and the Weather has not been good so my music system is not here yet:(
but when I have got everything up & going I will.

Some one could correct me on this but, I think the CBS classical SQ music was more prominent stage middle front like a horse shoe shape, like you were the conductor so you here instruments to the side of you, Were as the EMI classical SQ LP music was more middle back with the ambiance of the hall, I`m not saying every recording was like this but in most cases I think it was.
Bill...

Last edited:
Hi. fredblue
I would like to but at the moment, I am still in the proses of moving into a new home and the Weather has not been good so my music system is not here yet:(
but when I have got ever thing up & going I will.

Some one could correct me on this but, I think the CBS classical SQ music was more prominent stage middle front like a horse shoe shape, like you were the conductor so you here instruments to the side of you, Were as the EMI classical SQ LP music was more middle back with the ambiance of the hall, I`m not saying every recording was like this but in most cases I think it was.
Bill...

Thank you Bill :)

Thank you! :) Well.. The SQ LPs I'm most actively looking for that I just cannot find anywhere at the moment are those blasted Isleys (Go For Your Guns and The Heat Is On).. have you ever seen either of those while on your shopping trips?

We are extremely lucky to be into Quad at this point in time.. if only there'd been the fabulous Surround Master back in the day, the fortunes of SQ and Quad in general may have been much more favourable.. and I think you know how I feel about QQ, it's the best thing since sliced Quad..! :p

I will keep my eye open for you - but up till now I have not seen either. Amoeba Records is pretty good here in the city as well as 1,2,3,4 GO! in Oakland, but Dijital is a nice store in Valencia that offers really nice record decks, DACS, interesting modular synths and the like as well as a very boutique but rather nice little second hand record section. I got all my Beaver and Krause discs there along with a nice haul of super good quality SQ quads including Cat Stevens and Rick Wakeman. They're right next to a great barbershop (Fellow Barber) and an equally amazing coffee and pastry place (Craftsman and Wolves) so I'm kind of in the habit to go get breakfast, get a haircut, buy records then head back to the coffee place and have a beer and look through what I bought. But that is not the only store of note to quad collectors here in SF, there are more in the bay area and hidden treats in the city still to be had.

Amoeba:

amoeba-music.jpg293820085_640.jpg

Dijital Fix

o.jpgdijital-fix-office.jpg

I will keep my eye open for you - but up till now I have not seen either. Amoeba Records is pretty good here in the city as well as 1,2,3,4 GO! in Oakland, but Dijital is a nice store in Valencia that offers really nice record decks, DACS, interesting modular synths and the like as well as a very boutique but rather nice little second hand record section. I got all my Beaver and Krause discs there along with a nice haul of super good quality SQ quads including Cat Stevens and Rick Wakeman. They're right next to a great barbershop (Fellow Barber) and an equally amazing coffee and pastry place (Craftsman and Wolves) so I'm kind of in the habit to go get breakfast, get a haircut, buy records then head back to the coffee place and have a beer and look through what I bought. But that is not the only store of note to quad collectors here in SF, there are more in the bay area and hidden treats in the city still to be had.

Amoeba:

View attachment 20549View attachment 20550

Dijital Fix

View attachment 20551View attachment 20552

Very cool pictures...thanks for posting...I wish more members would post pictures like this...it's my way of living vicariously thru the vinyl adventures of others on the forum...of course I'm sure the download crowd gets their kicks looking at USB drives:ugham:

Back