What's the Latest MATRIX LP/CD Added to Your Pile? SQ, QS, RM, EV

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This CD is stereo, not QS. Sony Music isn't going to release it in QS since they were aligned with CBS when this album came out. That meant SQ. But the Japanese vinyl quad of this album was CD-4, and since Ode Records was distributed in the US by A&M, they used QS at the time. Play the record and make the comparison. I guarantee you'll see what I mean.

Interesting.. I thought Mark Anderson said that that CD was QS encoded?

Glad I never got the CD after all, the QS LP I bought the other week is a thing of great beauty, physically and sonically.
(and before anyone asks, it's a thick one!!)

Hi. inquadwetrust
The trouble may lie in, if you are using the Surround Master for Decoding it is the same setting on the unit for QS as it is for synthesising stereo to surround and because SM does such a great job of synthesising Stereo at times I swear it is discrete this is what I have found.
Bill...

Doesn't any Quad stay in one place anymore..? :D

A very good quad mix on this REO disc and imho better musically than their first quad disc. 20150725_180549.jpg20150725_180557.jpg20150725_180629.jpg

Interesting.. I thought Mark Anderson said that that CD was QS encoded?

Glad I never got the CD after all, the QS LP I bought the other week is a thing of great beauty, physically and sonically.
(and before anyone asks, it's a thick one!!)

Thanks to learned QQers for the comments about this CD. My understanding was that this is the QS encoded version, it's the first edition CD. If it is encoded it wasn't deliberate and the CD liner notes mention nothing other than AAD. Using the final track 'Back To California' as a reference, both decode the same, arguably more precisely on the CD. I do realize that yes, the SM QS side is the side to synthesize quad (this is my setting for anything non-quad) but it all sounds way to deliberate and close to the quad QS encoded record. It was bought based on this version's inclusion into the 'Rumors' section of Mark Anderson's website. There are a number of QS decodes of this CD that out there in homebrew land as well. Either way, it is either is a remarkable job by the SM (which does happen on some material, it is that good!) or it's a transfer of the same master they used for the QS Version all those years ago.
Perhaps anyone else with both could confirm?

The CD I have:
IMG_3634 copy.jpg

The QS LP I have:
IMG_3636 copy.jpgIMG_3637 copy.jpgIMG_3641 copy.jpgIMG_3640 copy.jpgIMG_3638 copy.jpg

Thanks to learned QQers for the comments about this CD. My understanding was that this is the QS encoded version, it's the first edition CD. If it is encoded it wasn't deliberate and the CD liner notes mention nothing other than AAD. Using the final track 'Back To California' as a reference, both decode the same, arguably more precisely on the CD. I do realize that yes, the SM QS side is the side to synthesize quad (this is my setting for anything non-quad) but it all sounds way to deliberate and close to the quad QS encoded record. It was bought based on this version's inclusion into the 'Rumors' section of Mark Anderson's website. There are a number of QS decodes of this CD that out there in homebrew land as well. Either way, it is either is a remarkable job by the SM (which does happen on some material, it is that good!) or it's a transfer of the same master they used for the QS Version all those years ago.

The CD I have:
View attachment 20578

The QS LP I have:
View attachment 20579View attachment 20580View attachment 20581View attachment 20582View attachment 20583

Look at that LP! It's some kind of wonderful! The CD..? ..meh.. :D

The CD I have:
View attachment 20578

The QS LP I have:
View attachment 20579View attachment 20580View attachment 20581View attachment 20582View attachment 20583

I think it should be fairly simple to know if this or any recording is QS/RM.

Record a copy through to a mono source.

Then compare that recording with the one you have.

QS/RM (and related matrices) are not compatible with MONO.This means they do not fold down to mono without "signal loss", such as some vocals, or instrumental passage ie keys, guitar and so on.
So if you notice some loss.....it's encoded.

If you notice no loss.....it's stereo.

For SQ or MATRIX H or HJ this will not work.They are pretty much compatible with mono.

Rufus - Rufusized Featuring Chaka Khan (QS LP). This is my new favorite; great record, great sleeve, great sound and a great quad mix. This makes me as happy as Chaka in the gatefold photo. Clean as a whistle, this sounds so good I could of almost sworn it felt like Friday night. Tight and bright, this one has it all. But hey, ABC; Columbia are on the phone and they'd like to ask for their golden quad frame back.

IMG_3643 copy.jpgIMG_3645 copy.jpgIMG_3644 copy.jpgIMG_3646 copy.jpg

Thanks Fizzy; that sounds like solid advice. Would that work with bouncing a stereo wav into a mono wav via Audition? Ripping the CD as opposed to playing it out and recording it in realtime?

Couple of things here:

Why do so many of the Steely Dan Quad LPs have their corners chopped off? Did they all go to the cutout bins or something?

When MCA took over the ABC labels, they pretty much blew out the Command Quadraphonic album stock to cutouts. Since the first two Steely Dans were actually pressed multiple times (two cover variations, two label variations) there were more that were ready to sell that instead went right to the cutout distributer. That's why you're apt to see more of the later type of label variety in the cutouts of all of the ABC albums, while the first issue labels are mostly found without cut out markings.

This CD is stereo, not QS. Sony Music isn't going to release it in QS since they were aligned with CBS when this album came out. That meant SQ. But the Japanese vinyl quad of this album was CD-4, and since Ode Records was distributed in the US by A&M, they used QS at the time. Play the record and make the comparison. I guarantee you'll see what I mean.

Not quite. The Japanese Carole King "Music" LP is QS, not CD-4. "Tapestry" is CD-4, "Fantasy" is CD-4, but "Music" is QS. I have all three. I posted a picture of the "Music" label and QS sticker in an older QQ thread you can find at the following link:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...g-Music-on-vinyl&p=89610&viewfull=1#post89610

Couple of things here:

When MCA took over the ABC labels, they pretty much blew out the Command Quadraphonic album stock to cutouts. Since the first two Steely Dans were actually pressed multiple times (two cover variations, two label variations) there were more that were ready to sell that instead went right to the cutout distributer. That's why you're apt to see more of the later type of label variety in the cutouts of all of the ABC albums, while the first issue labels are mostly found without cut out markings.

Not quite. The Japanese Carole King "Music" LP is QS, not CD-4. "Tapestry" is CD-4, "Fantasy" is CD-4, but "Music" is QS. I have all three. I posted a picture of the "Music" label and QS sticker in an older QQ thread you can find at the following link:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...g-Music-on-vinyl&p=89610&viewfull=1#post89610

Thank you Urban Legend :)

Back