What's the Latest MATRIX LP/CD Added to Your Pile? SQ, QS, RM, EV

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Minnie Riperton - Perfect Angel
I saw this album listed on Ebay awhile back and had no idea who she was. Looked her up online and remembered her hit, Lovin' You. Thought I'd give it a try. Was outbid on the first two I found on Ebay. Third time was the charm. I am enjoying the album. Always fun when I discover an artist who had quad recordings that I've never listened to before.
120947592546.jpg

So, Sunday I spent all day with a buddy going to a record show, then to a couple record stores. It was great! Found a lot of quads, I will be posting in the discrete thread as well as I got a bunch of CD-4s too. Everything here was $20 or less. Most was $10 or less. Great deals.

4 Channel Stereo Enoch Light (EV-4)

The Spectcular Sound Of 4 Channel Stereo (SQ)

Great Songs Of Bacharach & David (SQ)

Realistic The Full Spectrum Of Quadraphonic Sound (SQ)

Project 3/Popular Science Test Record (SQ)

Verdi Requiem Leonard Bernstein (SQ) (2 record box set, was sealed but just barely, ripped the remaining plastic off)

Santana (3rd album I believe) (SQ)

Blood, Sweat & Tears Greatest Hits (SQ)

Piano Man Billy Joel (SQ)

Tower Of Power Ain't Nothin' Stoppin' Us Now (SQ)

Sly Stone High On You (SQ)

The Four Antiphonal Organs Of The Cathedral Of Freiburg Played Simultaneously By E. Power Biggs (SQ)

The New Brass Sound Of The Hits San Fernando Brass (SQ)

Quincy Jones Body Heat (SQ)

Jim Croce Photogrphs & Memories His Greatest Hits (with gold border) (QS)

Well, I found an interesting one. Gloria Gaynor, Experience. Even the person on ebay put a "?" in the listing questioning whether it is really quadraphonic. I looked up the title on Mark Anderson's Quad Discography site and sure enough, this particular catalog number, M3G 4997, is listed as being QS encoded. Got the album today. There are absolutely no references to it being quad anywhere on the jacket or on the label. In fact, the label specifically says stereo on it. I have not had a chance to play it yet and I don't have a very good QS decoder, so not sure what it's going to sound like. I'd be curious to know what led to it being listed as QS encoded, and if it really is, why no markings?

Well, I found an interesting one. Gloria Gaynor, Experience. Even the person on ebay put a "?" in the listing questioning whether it is really quadraphonic. I looked up the title on Mark Anderson's Quad Discography site and sure enough, this particular catalog number, M3G 4997, is listed as being QS encoded. Got the album today. There are absolutely no references to it being quad anywhere on the jacket or on the label. In fact, the label specifically says stereo on it. I have not had a chance to play it yet and I don't have a very good QS decoder, so not sure what it's going to sound like. I'd be curious to know what led to it being listed as QS encoded, and if it really is, why no markings?

There has been a lot of debate on that one. Last I heard, it was determined to not be QS encoded.

yes I have played it thru the QSD1
many years ago and like
WAR greatest hits it synthesizers into very good surround

But not Quad

yes I have played it thru the QSD1
many years ago and like
WAR greatest hits it synthesizers into very good surround

But not Quad

Oh well, even with shipping I only paid $4.25, so not a huge loss. Mark should probably update his discography if this one's been officially determined as non-quad.

Johnny Mathis You've Got A Friend (SQ)

I got this on trade today.

B.B. King Friends (QS)

b.B. King quad.jpg

My copy of "Instructions for Angels" is Matrix H, and is clearly marked as such on the cover. The SQ version came later, probably since there was nothing outside the UK to decode it. The format was developed by the BBC to be used for quad broadcasts. There were very few records released using it.

I found one of these
00524S.JPG

And one of these for only $6 at a bookstore
51RTvktOE5L.jpg

Isn't the REO Speedwagon title rare?

It could be "rarer" simply because they were a fairly unknown act at that point.....I'd be interested in others comments also, I can grab a minty copy in a local shop for $20.
I have a quad copy of Carol King's "Music" enroute, labeled as such....the QU-88013 stamping. A QS coup I feel also. John S.

It could be "rarer" simply because they were a fairly unknown act at that point.....I'd be interested in others comments also, I can grab a minty copy in a local shop for $20.
I have a quad copy of Carol King's "Music" enroute, labeled as such....the QU-88013 stamping. A QS coup I feel also. John S.

Not all that rare, but definitely QS. It's a favorite of mine.

The quad gods smiled on me today.

Johnny Hammond Higher Ground (SQ)

West, Bruce & Laing Whatever Turns You On (SQ)

Johnny Winter Still Alive And Well (SQ)

Andy Williams Love Story (SQ)

Syntonic Research Environments 6 Dawn And Dusk in the Okefenokee Swamp (DY I guess)

The Best Of B.B. King (QS)

jaybird100 said:
I don't think Syntonic Research ever really specified which quad matrix they were using, only that they were using one.

Yep, the Mark Anderson thread says DY though. I started a thread about all that in the "Is this quad" section.

Back