What's the Latest MATRIX LP/CD Added to Your Pile? SQ, QS, RM, EV

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is why I was asking you Duncan about the labels on your Dylan/Desire LP (red = stereo repro, gold = the old Quad)..

FullSizeRender-32.jpg

FullSizeRender-26.jpg

FullSizeRender-27.jpg

Could it be a later repro? The outer sleeve is OK, and a definite SQ Quad sleeve, has the number Q 86003, the inner sleeve which also states Quadraphonic mix has hidden in tiny print in a corner CBS 86003, but the record label itself is red/orange CBS 86003 with STEREO on it, when it should have been Columbia with a SQ and Quadraphonic, and a Gold label with Q 86003. I have to say that the seller refunded me straight away and apologised saying he should have checked the codes on the LP before posting it. But that's why I like Discogs, a better class of seller there. So I have a Quad sleeve now to look for a Quad LP!! But I've failed again on my 3rd attempt at getting a copy :flame

GRRRRRR....!!!!! That is very very annoying..!! :mad: :flame :violin

What kind of condition is the sleeve in?

What era is the stereo pressing from? Does it have a Red Columbia label?

Just wondering if this is another one of those rogue titles that got re-released a few years back like the Harold Melvin/Wake Up Everybody, Sly Stone/High On You, EWF/That's The Way Of The World, Johnny Winter/John Dawson Winter III LPs that are stereo but come in facsimiles of the old Quad sleeves...? Pics to follow..

Did anyone ever do an a/b comparison on that Desire disc?

I know it was a big seller back in the day, and more importantly, was issued in the dying days of Columbia's dual inventory days?

Could it be a later repro? The outer sleeve is OK, and a definite SQ Quad sleeve, has the number Q 86003, the inner sleeve which also states Quadraphonic mix has hidden in tiny print in a corner CBS 86003, but the record label itself is red/orange CBS 86003 with STEREO on it, when it should have been Columbia with a SQ and Quadraphonic, and a Gold label with Q 86003. I have to say that the seller refunded me straight away and apologised saying he should have checked the codes on the LP before posting it. But that's why I like Discogs, a better class of seller there. So I have a Quad sleeve now to look for a Quad LP!! But I've failed again on my 3rd attempt at getting a copy :flame

It could be a later repro, yes.. I'd need to see pics of the record labels and sleeve to be sure.

As I mentioned earlier there were a number of Sony label LP reissues (some time in the 90's afaik) that were (as in my latest pics here in this thread) stereo masterings/mixes in sleeves with Quad graphics (for some of them the barcode on the back is the dead giveaway that what you have is the reissue even if it is still sealed in the shrinkwrap.. they didn't have them there barcodes back in the 70's.. :eek: ).

Well, I might be able to help you find the right SQ (for a late Quad its not a hard one to find at all, partly since it was released in several territories iirc, Netherlands, Spain, UK, USA, Australia at the very least).. maybe PM me your price and the kind of condition you would find acceptable at that price and I can try finding you a place that has a copy for the kinda money you would want to go upto?

An A/B comparison of what to what FW?

Do you mean comparison of Stereo Desire to Quad Desire?

yes, that's what I mean.

Goodness Knows, what stereo vs. Matrix encoded master tapes are out and about via Columbia, You just
have to consider there has to be more as there were so many SQ encodes, and they can't all be languishing in archive dusty vaults.

yes, that's what I mean.

Goodness Knows, what stereo vs. Matrix encoded master tapes are out and about via Columbia, You just
have to consider there has to be more as there were so many SQ encodes, and they can't all be languishing in archive dusty vaults.

I've got a few different Desire CDs somewhere (including the Stereo Sony SACD) never compared any of them to the Quad.. but good idea, I will..! :eek:

I've got a few different Desire CDs somewhere (including the Stereo Sony SACD) never compared any of them to the Quad.. but good idea, I will..! :eek:

Probably the best way to try out the a/b, is pick one track of the SQ disc on your surround master (something demonstrating quad I'd gather)
and then go over the like tracks of your "stereo?" Cd, sacd.

But most importantly, please keep us posted.

I have a stereo 2nd edition of Desire on cd, need to check it out, want to check it out, but my Fosgate is down with a bad cold.

Very cool selections. I had absolutely no idea that Longines Symphonette released Quad albums. I may have seen that one before but passed thinking it was plain stereo.

They have a few releases actually.

They have some box sets of quads with 4,5,6,7,and 8 discs.There aren't too many listed and may have additional quad titles, that are unknown as they never did much to promote the quad format (Sansui QS), usage with their releases.You could say they were quiet about their quads although all discs I've come across do state quad as if it was matter of fact.I also have seen some early-mid 70's L.S. that state stereo; so in their lps......the sleuthing continues.

Back