What's the Latest MATRIX LP/CD Added to Your Pile? SQ, QS, RM, EV

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New Quadraphonic Gala - Various Artists Sampler (SQ LP)

FullSizeRender-49.jpg

FullSizeRender-50.jpg

FullSizeRender-51.jpg

FullSizeRender-52.jpg

Wow - so it was almost like a warning...hahaha. I can't imagine - I'm looking for ways to experience that perfect distribution of sound as often as I can...too heady? Never! :)

Wow - so it was almost like a warning...hahaha. I can't imagine - I'm looking for ways to experience that perfect distribution of sound as often as I can...too heady? Never! :)

Haha.. Pretty daft isn't it..!? :eek:

When I read old codswallop like that its no wonder Quad failed.. not only did people not "get" Quad but the rubbish that was written about Quad sometimes was probably enough to put many people off before they'd even tried to setup a shitty old SQ decoder in anger..

Quad was ahead of its time and in the right hands it was/is incredible but many times it was handled poorly, look at the image portrayed by this promo/sampler.. its almost like a stuffy old relic with its florid calligraphy against a tasteful cream ground - DULL and DRAB for such new exciting cutting edge technology, what a sedate looking load of tosh! Thank goodness it wan't for general consumption.. but those that did receive one or whatever must have been underwhelmed not by the contents but by the packaging (actually how did one acquire these Columbia Gala SQ promo's back in the day? Did they come with hardware? Were they for use in store as demonstration?)

I reckon if the labels had given it another year or two to mature beyond this promo (came out in '76) and released some big albums by more major artists (think of a major 70's rock act, like Bowie, Zeppelin, The Stones, Elton, Queen.. the list goes on.. they probably didn't even have a single Quad release to their name) and included things like disco in their Quad roster, surround may have had a new lease of life.. as it was, it was all but buried alive by '77.. and only truly rose from the grave almost 20 years later thanks to Brad Miller/DTS.. and the rest is history.. at least Quads being handled properly now (by and large) by the right people (mostly!).. and no more "cautionary" messages will need to be included with future surround releases.. other than "WARNING! Surround music is more addictive than drugs!" :D

Couldn't agree more Fredums!!

Big name artists were lacking horribly! No Stones, No Bowie, No Elton John, No Rod Stewart, No Zeppelin, almost no Who, and ........No Beatles!!! And all huge sellers at the time!!!

The label "bigwigs" had their heads up their arse for certain.

My 200th SQ LP :)
(Feels appropriate being this disc, it's a v.uncommon one afaik.. will t/fer it over the holidays :eek: )

I thought V-Bulletin expanded the Level from 100 to 200:mad:@:...well buying those SQ LP's is very impressive(y).and so freaking fast...geeze...when do you sleep(James Bond's response in Dr. NO "never on the firm's time)

Here's some RCA SQ encoded music.

DOLLY PARTON-IN LONDON..credits Tate SQ surround in the closing credits.

DEODATO-2 pressed by RCA Records Canada, this is the RVG SQ edition as per the vinyl imprint.20151229_191634.jpg20151229_191641.jpg

20151229_191625.jpg20151229_191523.jpg20151229_191956.jpg20151229_191602.jpg

This Realistic Records Recording is listed as available in Q8, only.

But as you can see (by this cassette) they obviously used EV-4 on tape and quite likely lp.The sleuthing continues.

20151229_194751.jpg20151229_194802.jpg

Where was that Labelle album stored, a sandpaper factory? :D

Haha.. :D.. ohhhh I knoooowww... I can't sugar coat it, its abysmal... my heart sank when I first opened up the packet and went through the records and saw that sleeve.. but surprisingly - shockingly even given the state of the sleeve - it plays alright, better than alright, tbh after just one quick wash it was clear there was a major disparity between sleeve and record condition.. and it decoded like a good'un (still prefer the surround mix on "Phoenix" with the girls' voices panned all over the place, its more inventive I reckon.. hopefully AF will redo that other Labelle Quad on Surround SACD too-wooo... ;) )

FOR GODS SAKE FREDBLUE ITS THE LAST DAY OF 2015 AND YOU ARE STILL BUYING UP THE WORLDS SUPPLY OF SQ RECORDS! WHATS GOING TO BE LEFT IN 2016? ARE YOU USING NSA SATELLITES TO TRACK THEM DOWN?

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Back