What's the Latest MATRIX LP/CD Added to Your Pile? SQ, QS, RM, EV

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why Dontcha's pretty cool all round.. but the other west Bruce & Laing sounds like it was recorded through a sock, awful muddy grungey sound, though the Quad mix isn't bad, it might be whatever turns some people on, I spose!

Agreed, wonder why though ? Best of Mountain seems fine to me, and Avalanche well....it has to growww on you .

My surprise SQ CD though still floors me !!! I am shocked and thankful to the QQ member that pointed out the cd of "Twin Peaks" is SQ encoded, and a very good quad mix for a live disc.:sun(y)

Agreed, wonder why though ? Best of Mountain seems fine to me, and Avalanche well....it has to growww on you .

My surprise SQ CD though still floors me !!! I am shocked and thankful to the QQ member that pointed out the cd of "Twin Peaks" is SQ encoded, and a very good quad mix for a live disc.:sun(y)

Hmm.. no idea why that West Bruce & Laing Quad sounds so fuzzy, Fizzy! :D

I love the Quads of Mountain Best Of and Avalanche is a rambunctious riot too! :banana:

Twin Peaks? Sounds saucy! Guest starring Pamela Anderson? :eek:

Hi. All

In response to - jaybird100

I have found there is a lot of Quad LP`s out there, that do not have any identification on the cover front or back to say it is Quad or Stereo.
But there is a indication on the LP it`s self, if you are buying on the inter net and there is no close up of the LP you will not now if it is Quad or Stereo on this type LP.
In the case of Angel Record EMI. Toshiba from Japan there is a " Q " letter in front of the designated number to indicate Quad & a " Y " letter to indicate Stereo or there may only have numbers as well for Stereo.

This is what I have found in my hunt on the net..
Bill...

Amigos - Santana (UK SQ LP)

Once I get my new turntable I will get the Surround Master to decode the bejesus out of this one! Hopefully its less sucky surround than the Israeli SQ record I tried last year.. yeah fat chance I know but Bob Hope springeth eternal even in the face of flogging a dead horse! :D

I'm gonna be all over Dolly in Quad now I'm signing myself up to the CD-4 madhouse!
The Quad vinyl folly's taken a turn for the batshit crazy.. :eek:

Best of luck with that:)

When it works (CD-4) , it sounds nice, but it can be a trial at times with cd-4 breakup in the grooves mostly occuring in the last or 2nd last tracks.
Some labels are better than others with the pressings as well. Most Japanese pressings are very good and the WEA UK DISCS pressed in Germany are superb and in my opinion highly prized. I have a few and like them all, virtually no noticeable breakup.

Anyway have fun with that, and remember if they have too much in the way of pops and tics or breakup they become half speed mastered lps on good vinyl , good for matrix encoding possibly.(y)

Best of luck with that:)

When it works (CD-4) , it sounds nice, but it can be a trial at times with cd-4 breakup in the grooves mostly occuring in the last or 2nd last tracks.
Some labels are better than others with the pressings as well. Most Japanese pressings are very good and the WEA UK DISCS pressed in Germany are superb and in my opinion highly prized. I have a few and like them all, virtually no noticeable breakup.

Anyway have fun with that, and remember if they have too much in the way of pops and tics or breakup they become half speed mastered lps on good vinyl , good for matrix encoding possibly.(y)

Thanks Fizzmeister.. whatever happens, "it'll all come out in the wash" as they say up north! (North of England that is :eek: ) it might be a spectacular CD-4 flop and I end up putting all the records on eBay to flog to the bravest bidder! :D

I noticed a few CD-4's so far have big run out grooves.. is it an inner groove distortion thing that plays havoc with the CD-4 system or just poor pressings?
(I'd heard it was a fussy format.. but I'm filled with even more dread now! :yikes )

Could you PM me a list of good German CD-4 discs to look out for please?
I've got a couple of UK pressings so far (didn't know they were actually German.. trust them to make the best discs! ;) )

Anyway, back to the Matrix.. do I take the SQ pill or the QS pill..?
(Come to think of it, got quite a few QS discs to do when I get turntable'd up again! Woo.. backlog central here we come..! :p )

It would likely synthesize much better off my 2ch CD with less added echo, which I detect on the "SQ encoded" LP. The CD has likely been played only in 2ch on my various car stereos.

When it was a new release, I tried a couple synthesis positions on my Marantz Vario-matrix for the "SQ encoded" LP. As I recall, it didn't sound that good synthesized.

I have PLII, full-logic SQ and 2 QS decoders on my main system, along with CD-4. For synthesizing, I could try various positions on my Sansui Vari-matrix.

IMHO, Amigos is wonderful musically, but it's quasi quad.

It would likely synthesize much better off my 2ch CD with less added echo, which I detect on the "SQ encoded" LP. The CD has likely been played only in 2ch on my various car stereos.

When it was a new release, I tried a couple synthesis positions on my Marantz Vario-matrix for the "SQ encoded" LP. As I recall, it didn't sound that good synthesized.

I have PLII, full-logic SQ and 2 QS decoders on my main system, along with CD-4. For synthesizing, I could try various positions on my Sansui Vari-matrix.

Thanks Linda, as always you are a gold mine of information! (y)

(On that note, I may need to ask a big favour of you fairly soon, if you would be willing?
Namely, for your help and advice on how the chuffing heck to get CD-4 working.. I plan to get a demodulator by September.. seems fitting, since I got the Surround Master SQ for my Bday last year that I should get a CD-4 thingamabob for my CD-40th Birthday this year ..and along the way a new TT and it'll be back to the matrix grindstone.. I got work to do, got so much work, yeah, yeah! :p )

re: Urbie Green "Bein' Green". The album sounds great on the Surround Master. Excellent QS quad. He does an excellent job on Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey.

Hi. All

More matrix LP`s today

( Epic. SQ ECPN - Poco Deliverin' )-
( Liberty Records ING. RM=QS LLZ-93002 - The Ventures On Stage73 )-

IMG_0181.jpg
IMG_0179.jpg
IMG_0182.jpg
IMG_0180.jpg

IMG_0175.jpg
IMG_0176.jpg
IMG_0177.jpg

Thanks for your latest pics, of this Canadian SQ release, BBQ :)

Isn't it interesting to see the variations in different territories this SQ LP came in!

Same track listing across the board as far as I know..?

Here's the UK SQ LP (entitled "Hits In Hi-Fi 1")..

and here is the Australian SQ LP (called "Sound Hits")..

EDIT: just remembered there was also a Mexican SQ pressing of this one, the sleeve artwork is same as the UK release, save for some of the song titles being in Spanish. I'll U/L some pics of it to Discogs' listing of the Mexican version someday, since it is lacking in any at the min.

I'd love to hear The Ventures and John Keating in Quad. Very nice LPs! :)

Back