What's the Latest DISCRETE Quad LP Added to Your Pile? CD-4, UD-4

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Passport-Handmade

One of my favourite quad/CD-4 discs.The song "Abbracadabra" is a superb quad song, highly recommended. (y)

20160722_202611.jpg20160722_202617.jpg20160722_202632.jpg20160722_202722.jpg20160722_202738.jpg

This disc would be fantastic in a quad dvda or sacd version.:music One of the best quad mixes by a German group, I think.

Completely agree with you fizzy, this is a great quad mix, one of the many great ones done by Dieter Dierks in Germany. Makes you wonder if any of the other Passport albums from around that time were mixed for quad but never released..

Where did you pick up your copy? I've been on the lookout for a mint copy of this album but haven't been able to find one.

From Japan, RCA CD-4 of a classic quad by ISAO TOMITA.

(GORGEOUS ALBUM COVER AS WELL)

Not sure if DENON released the quad SACD ?

20160722_201859.jpg20160722_201909.jpg20160722_202313.jpg

The OBI strip lists all his quad discs available in Japan.

20160722_201942.jpg20160722_201953.jpg20160722_202002.jpg

Completely agree with you fizzy, this is a great quad mix, one of the many great ones done by Dieter Dierks in Germany. Makes you wonder if any of the other Passport albums from around that time were mixed for quad but never released..

Where did you pick up your copy? I've been on the lookout for a mint copy of this album but haven't been able to find one.

I'd like to think Dieter has a few unreleased in the can, perhaps another from Passport.

This is an old purchase btw, bought in 76 from Sound Concepts (everything in quad-Sound Concepts).An absolute boss CD-4 pressing, one of the best in my collection.
FWIW it was also released in Japan (Warner-Pioneer)., but you probably know that.

At one time this disc was very plentiful in Europe.

DON'T LET THIS HAPPEN TO YOU...

Bummer, the old BS4 jacket with the BS LP. Some of these were actually sold this way, not many, but it did happen. They used the unused quad jackets on stereo LPs, probably because they had no clue at the pressing plant.

...... bought in 76 from Sound Concepts (everything in quad-Sound Concepts)......

Sound Concepts was a great mail order quad seller. I used to love to get their catalog and their flyers. I probably have the remnants of a few of them lying in a closet somewhere, but they are surely marked up with my check marks and scribbles as I went over them over and over back then. I think I remember calling them and talking to the owner about quad and stuff. I remember him telling me that Pink Floyd Animals was coming sometime soon. :)

Sound Concepts was a great mail order quad seller. I used to love to get their catalog and their flyers. I probably have the remnants of a few of them lying in a closet somewhere, but they are surely marked up with my check marks and scribbles as I went over them over and over back then. I think I remember calling them and talking to the owner about quad and stuff. I remember him telling me that Pink Floyd Animals was coming sometime soon. :)

Sound Concepts of Peoria Illinois was THE best and likely the BIGGEST QUAD DISC supplier from the 70's.Purchased many collector's items from them.
They had excellent prices and I always looked forward to receiving their quad catalogs.

They had JEFF BECK LIVE WITH THE JAN HAMMER GROUP listed with the quad # in their last catalog, but too bad it was withdrawn by Epic records last minute. But it probably is sitting in the Columbia vault, still, me thinks anyway.(maybe one day):sun, and along with other last minute withdrawn quads, such as Lou Rawls, Pink Floyd Animals, and a Joan Baez disc.

Sound Concepts also had excellent shipping and prices that could not be beat.

This quad collector misses Jay Frank's quad service.:(

Not necessarily a new acquisition, got this a few years back.

No UD-4 amongst my system, but you can play the matrix quad which is embedded along with the discrete. (BM, or Qmx ? -Duanne Cooper's quad matrix)

20160722_203008.jpg20160722_203015.jpg20160722_203043.jpg20160722_203035.jpg

Anyway if you can't demodulate it, you can decode it. (QS /RM compatible ):sun & :violin

Somewhere fishy, no doubt :eek:

Someone associated with the CD-4 Magazine reviews maybe or the pressing itself or promo dept.Anyway good catch, must have had the right bait and or a good can opener.:)

Posted that UD-4 disc with you in mind, FB. Just so you know you can still purchase the handful made if on an auction block, matrix quad is ok on these types. (Quad matrix might be known as UMX)

Someone associated with the CD-4 Magazine reviews maybe or the pressing itself or promo dept.Anyway good catch, must have had the right bait and or a good can opener.:)

Posted that UD-4 disc with you in mind, FB. Just so you know you can still purchase the handful made if on an auction block, matrix quad is ok on these types. (Quad matrix might be known as UMX)

Could be something like that, FW.. every record I've bought off the seller has been a promo of some kind, regardless of label or the Quad format etc., with a variety of stamps, usually only on the rear sleeve but sometimes on the record label too.. I'll be a record promo stamp collector soon.. would that make me an audiophilatalist? :eek:

Thanks as always for the pics and info Fizzmeister, I do appreciate it, ta muchly :)

Back