What's the Latest DISCRETE Quad LP Added to Your Pile? CD-4, UD-4

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These were in a cheap lot of quads:

Hugo Montenegro Neil's Diamonds (already had this)

Nat Stuckey Take Time To Love Her

Jerry Reed Lord Mr. Ford (this was the one I was really after)

Sealed copy of Nilsson - Duit On Mon Dei. Great inspiration to hook my CD-4 turntable back up since I moved my system all around. Broke the seal and playing it now! Fun to listen to discrete records again and it's beautiful to hear what virgin quadraphonic vinyl sounds like.

Eagles - On the Border (CD-4) After recently watching the Eagles HBO special, History of The Eagles, I got the Eagles bug. Really enjoying finally listening to CD-4 after giving up on it for SO many years.

These are my two latest Motown Japanese CD4's - Marvin Gaye 'What's Going On' (£10.50) and The Jackson 5 Greatest Hits (£22). Not too shabby! All I need is The Jackson 5 In Japan and Rare Earth 'Get Ready' to complete my collection of Motown CD4's. Anyone want to do a trade? I have two spare copies of What's Going On and a spare copy of Diana Ross 'The Last Time I Saw Him' amongst other things...

IMG_20140705_155119.jpg

This came today - Ralph McTell 'Right Side Up', one of a handful of UK-only CD4's that appeared in 1976. Love to know what the story behind these are, such a strange decision to release exclusive titles right at the tail end of the quad era.

mctell.jpg

The story on Ralph McTell is a simple one: sold decently in his native England, just about nowhere else, and AFAIK, no interest on any label's part to put his material out in the USA. A fine guitarist and songwriter, but like his friend and occasional collaborator John Martyn, found a small if loyal audience for his work, never got wider notice. Thing is, the rights belonged to Warner Bros. UK, who recorded him at the time; the stateside label could have released it but I don't think they did (remember seeing it in the late '70s as an import).

I'd like to hear the quad for this some day, it's a pretty solid album.

ED :)

Thanks for the backstory about Ralph McTell, Ed. It makes sense why you'd never see this LP in North America.

I think what's more curious is that Warner UK released at least 2 other CD-4 LP's in 1976, when pretty much everyone else was getting out of the quad game - Absolute Elsewhere 'In Search Of Ancient Gods' which is a sort of spacey jazz-funk instrumental album with Bill Bruford on drums, and Deaf School '2nd Honeymoon' which is a weird new wave/punk/cabaret sort of band. I'd really like to know the story behind this initiative because these seem like really strange left-field choices. As far as I know the only other Warner CD4's exclusive to Europe were a Fats Domino at Montreux title, and Passport's 'Hand Made', and they're both circa 1973. I wonder if there were any other titles mixed for quad as part of this late run but never released...

Thanks for the backstory about Ralph McTell, Ed. It makes sense why you'd never see this LP in North America.

I think what's more curious is that Warner UK released at least 2 other CD-4 LP's in 1976, when pretty much everyone else was getting out of the quad game - Absolute Elsewhere 'In Search Of Ancient Gods' which is a sort of spacey jazz-funk instrumental album with Bill Bruford on drums, and Deaf School '2nd Honeymoon' which is a weird new wave/punk/cabaret sort of band. I'd really like to know the story behind this initiative because these seem like really strange left-field choices. As far as I know the only other Warner CD4's exclusive to Europe were a Fats Domino at Montreux title, and Passport's 'Hand Made', and they're both circa 1973. I wonder if there were any other titles mixed for quad as part of this late run but never released...

I love all things Bruford... Thanks for mentioning the Absolute Elsewhere....

Don't get your hopes up, it's not a prog masterpiece by any means and the drumming isn't flashy at all. I think the whole thing is up on YouTube, I suggest you listen to some of it before you invest any money!

The aforementioned Absolute Elsewhere 'In Search Of Ancient Gods', the last of the 3 UK-only CD-4's from 1976 I needed. The cover is a bit worn, but the record itself looks nice and shiny and free of major scratches. A bargain at £6.

elsewhere_1.jpg
elsewhere_2.jpg
elsewhere_3.jpg

The Temptations '1990' Japan-only CD-4 - this one is in a weird alternate sleeve, but the record is definitely the Japanese CD-4. I already have a copy of this but I couldn't resist the alternate cover at £9.

1990.jpg

Nice catch on the Tempts! Not a great album by any stretch, but to find the CD-4 for that great a price and in good condition has to make you feel good.

ED :)

1990 is actually one of, if not my favourite of the Japanese Motown CD-4's. I actually think it's a stronger record (and a much better, more discrete quad mix) than All Directions. The only thing missing from it (and the reason it gets overlooked) is that there isn't a standout single of the calibre of 'Papa' on it, but experienced as a whole album it's a much more consistent listen.

The quality of the Japanese pressings is phenomenal too, I wasn't convinced that CD-4 was anything more than a failed gimmick until I heard some of them.

Various Artists 'CD-4 Quadraphonic Experience'

This is a Europe-only sampler of WEA artists - notable because it includes the track 'Quadrant 4' from Billy Cobham's Stratus album, which was scheduled for release but never came out.

IMG_20140813_172245.jpg
IMG_20140813_172325.jpg

Blurb written by Claude Nobs (founder of the Montreux Jazz Festival on how super awesome quad is.)
IMG_20140813_172400.jpg

Quadrant 4!
IMG_20140813_172411.jpg

Two new Japanese cd4s I just picked up:

Feliciano! By Jose Feliciano Rca cd 4 with obi. Great collection of covers including Light my fire that I remember hearing on the radio.
Malaguena by Lecuona Cuban Boys rca cd 4 also with obi. Music in the herb albert and tiajuana brass whipped cream territory.

Maria Muldaur Waitress In a Donut Shop (CD-4)

mariamuldaurquad.jpg

They were really good at keeping the grooves far away from inner groove distortion territory on both sides on this one. Almost half of the record on both sides is deadwax.

This one was fun to find for $2. CD-4 and possibly inscribed by Barry

ForumRunner_20141207_121016.jpg

ForumRunner_20141207_121028.jpg

Back