What's the Latest QUAD TAPE Added to Your Pile? Q8, Q4

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What a great album...one of my best discoveries of quad collecting. It really shows of the versatility of the group...they do everything from rockers ("Drivin' Wheel", "Skatin'") to ballads ("Passing Through", "Angel") to country-style numbers ("Rocky Mountain Breakdown".

The quad mix is astounding even on the SQ LP. I always loved the moving vocals in "Just Call My Name". Ex: "just call my Name" center, "I keep on telling you" LR, "It ain't right" RR. Great stuff.

we have lift off! :nuke
yeay I got a recording of it in without it going on the scrapheap! :D

love this one in Quad too.. the SQ is great, one of my absolute faves from the last couple of years of SQ decoding with the Involve Surround Master and comparing it to the discrete form, right off the bat the Surround Master made a really good fist of decoding it.. it is still a thrill even if I have played the SQ many many times to hear the Quad mix with full channel separation its still fresh, brilliant album, superb production and great great mix, nothing showy it showcases the band, the harmonies etc.. slightly weird the track running order differences from the SQ LP so a few songs pop up in unexpected places.. but I'm not complaining, loving it just a much as ever.. and the tape sounds pretty good really.. something cool apart from the obvious uptick in separation is that a couple of the tracks fade out for longer than on the SQ LP! how's that for a bonus! :yikes

Hi. All

I`ve managed to acquire the 3rd. Emerson, Lake & Palmer

( Manticore. Q8 MAN QT-3-200 -Emerson,Lake & Palmer :No.3 )-

IMG_2349.jpg
Untitled_Panorama1.jpg

Last edited:
Oh no its true..............

Unicorn Pie.png thX9IOW6D5.jpg

well as you asked so nicely... NO! :howl
every time an out of print Quad that the major labels don't care about gets pirated a baby unicorn dies:violin
do we want that on our conscience!?!? :yikes

you know my name, look up my number! i'll call you later today or tonight when i can :)

well as you asked so nicely... NO! :howl
every time an out of print Quad that the major labels don't care about gets pirated a baby unicorn dies:violin
do we want that on our conscience!?!? :yikes

you know my name, look up my number! i'll call you later today or tonight when i can :)

Don't know where you found that post..it wasn't me! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Looks to be a spankin' brand new copy. One of my favs. How does it sound?

I have a white cart copy as well...was really excited about this one but unfortunately it suffers from poor mastering. I recorded it in twice and it always appears brickwalled no matter what volume I set. The loud parts seriously distort. I had read that the canadian version (gold cart) was duplicated by RCA and is hence much better quality...would love to hear it.

The mix is pretty good. Vocals are in all four speakers but everything else is spread out nicely. It really should've been on the 40th anniversary reissue from a few years ago. As I mentioned a while back in the poll thread, a DV twofer with this and Deliver The Word would be a dream come true.

Thread I started a few months ago: https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...ion-In-Front-Channels-Of-War-UA-Q8&highlight=

I have a white cart copy as well...was really excited about this one but unfortunately it suffers from poor mastering. I recorded it in twice and it always appears brickwalled no matter what volume I set. The loud parts seriously distort. I had read that the canadian version (gold cart) was duplicated by RCA and is hence much better quality...would love to hear it.

Poor duplication, not mastering. The quad mastering for the UA/Liberty carts was the same for USA and Canada, but the USA ones, on black or white shells, were duplicated too hot by the Liberty plant. This is unfortunately common to all their USA quad output, a true shame.

Has anyone ever confirmed whether the CD4 test pressing listed on Discogs is for real? I've heard an anonymous transfer of this album that sounds great--clean, discrete, pretty high fidelity--but there was no printed documentation and the artwork that came with it says nothing about the source. Because it doesn't have any telltale Q8 artefacts (warble, oversaturation, high-frequency dropout, etc.), I assumed it must be from a CD4. But after reading in an older thread about AudioSpectrum's legendary Q8 transfers, I'm prepared to hear that it's one of his...

The mix is pretty good. Vocals are in all four speakers but everything else is spread out nicely. It really should've been on the 40th anniversary reissue from a few years ago. As I mentioned a while back in the poll thread, a DV twofer with this and Deliver The Word would be a dream come true.

Thread I started a few months ago: https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...ion-In-Front-Channels-Of-War-UA-Q8&highlight=

Back