What's the Latest QUAD TAPE Added to Your Pile? Q8, Q4

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup. I refuse to throw out that piece of Melamine because it's just too trippy. It's 40+ years old and probably full of asbestos but it makes for a great background when selling stuff on ebay. You can always tell it's my stuff by my acid-trip inspired orange and gold hippy daisies. :cool:

These came in over last weekend. The Yank Lawson Reel I was surprised that I got it for $40.00s. Before they always went for the $100.00s Since I had Vol. 1, it made since to go after this one. The Chaplin Q8 was surprising too. I had been watching it for months on Ebay. It started out in the $25.00 range, then dropped to $14.00, then to $9.00 and then it went on sale for $8.00. I thought to myself what to heck and went ahead and got it. The pressure pads were OK, so I just popped it into a deck and was surprised that it was not bad at all, a very good addition to the pile.

Attachments

• Lawson & Chaplin R.jpg
    Lawson & Chaplin R.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 245
  • Lawson & Chaplin FT.jpg
    Lawson & Chaplin FT.jpg
    279.4 KB · Views: 240
Another batch of Q8 Tapes came today..

(ABC Command. Q8 7145-40002 H -Enoch Light A New Concept Of Great Cole Porter Songs :Factory Sealed New )-
( Vanguard Everyman Classical. Q8 8184-285 E -Mahler Des Knaben Wunderhorn :Factory Sealed New )-
( CBS. Q8 CAQ 31473 -Ray Conniff Love Them )-
( Capital. Q8 Q8W 11284 -Helen Reddy Love Song For Jeffrey )-
( ABC Dot. Q8 25986 H -The Best Of Roy Clark )-

PIC1.jpg

PIC2.jpg

IMG_1279.jpg

The Roy Clark/Donna Fargo / Dot Records Q8's are an interesting bunch. They range from aggressively discrete (Roy Clarks) to the very smooth, surrounding mix (Donna Fargo). Just made me giggle how they can be one extreme to the other. Kind of like the A&M and Capitol Records Q8's.

Hi. All

Another batch of Q4 & Q8 came today..

( RCA. Q4 ERQ 1-0015 -QF -Stolen Goods )-
( WB. Q4WSTQ 2707-QF -Summer )-
( Alshire International. Q4 ASQ 013-QC Them From The Godfather & Other Movie Hits )-
( UN. Q8 UA-DA055-H Shirley Bassey Never Never Never )-
( GRT. Q8 Tony Mottola Guitar....Paris )-

View attachment 27246
View attachment 27247
View attachment 27248

View attachment 27249
View attachment 27250
View attachment 27251

View attachment 27252
View attachment 27253
View attachment 27254

So is 101 Strings on Alshire real true quad? The label cold seems to indicate that it is discreet as they get, A1.

So is 101 Strings on Alshire real true quad? The label cold seems to indicate that it is discreet as they get, A1.

Hi. quicksrt
Yes it is a show peace of four corner instruments the main orchestra in front the instruments at the back channels stand out very well but blend in to the front to give a well balanced all around sound I played it at a low volume and the instruments were clear and crisp then I played the tape at louder volume and sounded spectacular I enjoyed it very much.

Picked up 7 Columbia Q8 classical tapes at an estate sale. Greatest hits of Beethoven Mozart Bach Strauss and Chopin, plus some Tchaikovsky. I got change back from $2

The "Beethovens Greatest Hits" has the last movement of the 9th Symphony with Ormandy conducting the Philadelphia Orchestra, with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. In discrete quad.

Gone mad bought more Q8 cartridges.

( ELEKTRA. Q8 8Q-1039 -Eagles One Of These Nights )-
( Columbia EMI. Q8 Q8-TWO375 -Hammond Hits The Highway Harry Stoneham )-
( RCA. Q8 APT1-1191 -Floyd Cramer Class Of '74 & '75 )-
( RCA. Q8 APT1-0873 -Elvis Presley Promised Land )-
( RCA. Q8 PQ8-2090 -Danny Davis & The Nashville Brass Turn On Some Happy )-
( RCA. Q8 PQ8-1692 -Danny Davis & The Nashville Brass somethin' Else )-
( RCA. Q8 PQ8-1185 -The Best Of Eddy Arnold )-

cPIC2.jpg

bPIC3.jpg

dPIC1.jpg

aPIC4.jpg

I love Harry Stoneham.

He was one of UK's top session players in the 60's and 70's. He is the one playing the Organ on the spacelicious theme to Gerry Andersons' U.F.O. TV series. Love that show for so many reasons.

[video=youtube;5pRmy2NktRc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pRmy2NktRc[/video]

shaft.jpg

Isaac Hayes 'Shaft' soundtrack, still in about 90% of the original custom slipcase. I know that Joy and the Tough Guys soundtrack came in generic Stax Quadraphonic slipcases, did the Live At The Sahara Tahoe double album come in a custom slipcase like Shaft?

rufus.jpg

Rags To Rufus, one of my favourite quad mixes ever. I had this tape previously but sold it with all my other Q8's in about 2000 or 2001 to help finance my move to the UK. I regretted it almost immediately and when one popped up on eBay recently as a $15 Buy It Now, I couldn't resist.

Jose Feliciano - Alive Alive-O! (Part 2)

Shown here reunited with Part 1, these two tapes were for some reason sold seperately. They're also pretty scarce because RCA took them out of print sometime before 1975, whereas the majority of their quad catalog stayed in print until anywhere from 1978 and 1980.

Many thanks to my friend F. Blue (first name censored to protect anonymity) who helped me get my hands on this tape.

feliciano1.jpg

feliciano2.jpg

Back