What's the Latest QUAD TAPE Added to Your Pile? Q8, Q4

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll be picking up the following on Monday:Also pulled the trigger on a buy-it-now today at lunch the Ford Quadraphonic Demo with the big, multicolored "8" on the top label. Been dying to know what's on it. And for $10, I wasn't even worried!

Congratulations on finding these!

Please let us know what this mysterious tape contains. :)

Hi. All

Got yesterday some Q8 cartridges.

( RCA. Q8 RQ8-1137 -The Moog Strikes Bach )-
( Realistic. Q8 513206 -Big Band Moog new factory sealed )-

q8 1.jpg
q8 2.jpg

My latest little score, made possible with a big assist from my mate Adam in London..

IMG_20160721_133759.jpg

Hi. All

Another batch of Q8 Cartridges came today.

( Columbia Q8 MAQ 30683 -Sidewinder Created by Morton Subotnick )-
( Elektra Records. Q8 8Q-5058 -Stardrive with Robert Mason Intergalactic Trot, factory sealed )-
( RCA. Q8 RQ8-1162 Chopan A La Moog, factory sealed )-

View attachment 26838
View attachment 26839
View attachment 26840

Ooh I bet that Stardrive's so good in discrete surround sound!
(I've only ever heard the Stereo thru PLII and that's a blast in itself! :D )

That Stardrive album is a great quad mix and features a young Steve Gadd on drums as well. I'd love to see a hi-rez re-release of this but I suspect it's probably considered too dated to find a very big audience now.

My sister came to visit last week and brought me a whole load of Q8 tapes - I live in Canada and she's in the US so I often get stuff sent to her either to save on postage costs or to buy things from sellers who won't ship to Canada. This is about 6 months worth of deliveries to her, so it's a lot of tapes!

newtapes-aug4-1.jpg

newtapes-aug4-2.jpg

newtapes-aug4-3.jpg

newtapes-aug4-4.jpg

Chet Atkins - Superpickers
Bachman-Turner Overdrive - II
Bloomfield/Kooper/Stills - Super Session
Buddy Miles Express - Booger Bear
Chase - Self-Titled
Doobie Bros. - What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits
Eleventh House w/Larry Coryell - Introducing (sealed)
The Jazz Piano Quartet - Let It Happen
Carole King - Tapestry
Gordon Lightfoot - Sundown
Henry Mancini - Mancini Country
Joni Mitchell - The Hissing Of Summer Lawns
Justin Hayward & John Lodge - Blue Jays
Bonnie Koloc - After All This Time (sealed)
Moody Blues - Days Of Future Passed
Moody Blues - Seventh Sojourn
Moody Blues - To Our Children's Children's Children
Realistic - Big Band Moog
Rufus - Rufusized (sealed)
Savoy Brown - Jack The Toad
Seals & Crofts - Unborn Child
Cat Stevens - Catch Bull At Four
Cat Stevens - Teaser And The Firecat
Barbra Streisand - Butterfly
Barbra Streisand - Lazy Afternoon
Barbra Streisand - Live Concert At The Forum
Ike & Tina Turner - Live At Carnegie Hall Vol I & II
Stanley Turrentine - Pieces Of Dreams (sealed)
Rick Wakeman - Myths And Legends Of King Arthur & The Knights Of The Round Table
West, Bruce & Laing - Why Dontcha

Ooh I bet that Stardrive's so good in discrete surround sound!
(I've only ever heard the Stereo thru PLII and that's a blast in itself! :D )

Stardrive was on Q4 reel, and there is a conversion of it out there.

Hi. All

Just came today a RtoR.

( Project3. Q4 Tape PR4C-5068 - 4Channel Dynamite )-

View attachment 26739
View attachment 26740

Amazing ain't it, that these Q4 format quad tapes are like getting master tapes sort of in a way. It must be exciting to thread them up for the first time and wait to hear the first note or chord which tells you instantly if you got a screaming winner, or a dull dud marred by the hands of time. And most of them are winners I would think, many reels with low mileage on them. I wanted to collect them when I was a young boy. Nobody understood why, and what the point was.

Hi. quicksrt

I bought my first AKAI 280DSS QUAD Reel to Reel player about 30 years ago and started buying the tapes from the US. at the time it was hard for me to buy having a low wage didn't help, you could not buy these in New Zealand at all, but even then I thought that this is the only way to listen to Quad discreetly, but CDs & Cassettes killed RTR at the end.. I think the first Quad Tapes came on the market about the 1970`s...

Amazing ain't it, that these Q4 format quad tales are like getting master tales sort of in a way. It must be exciting to thread them up for the first time and wait to hear the first note or chord which tells you instantly if you got a screaming winner, or a dull dud marred by the hands of time. And most of them are winners I would think, many reels with low mileage on them. I wanted to collect them when I was a young boy. Nobody understood why, and what the point was.

Amazing ain't it, that these Q4 format quad tapes are like getting master tapes sort of in a way. It must be exciting to thread them up for the first time and wait to hear the first note or chord which tells you instantly if you got a screaming winner, or a dull dud marred by the hands of time. And most of them are winners I would think, many reels with low mileage on them. I wanted to collect them when I was a young boy. Nobody understood why, and what the point was.

Over the years I've received a number of tapes from e bay that sounded muddy but then discovered that the tape was upside down and the seller did not even notice it. After flipping the tape over it sounded like it was brand new. I've had this happen with Q4 and Q8 tapes. The Q8 tapes are a little bit harder to flip though.

Hi. All

Another couple of Q8 cartridges came today if you look at the sticker on the first photo you may have a little laugh.

( Columbia. Q8 QMA 32497 -Bach: Lutheran Organ Mass/Anthony Newman :factory sealed 2 pack )-
( Project3. Q8 PRQ8-5056 -Big Band Hits Of The 30`s & 40`s Enoch Light )-

Q8 2.jpg

Q8 1.jpg

Hi. All

Another couple of Q8 cartridges came today if you look at the sticker on the first photo you may have a little laugh.

( Columbia. Q8 QMA 32497 -Bach: Lutheran Organ Mass/Anthony Newman :factory sealed 2 pack )-
( Project3. Q8 PRQ8-5056 -Big Band Hits Of The 30`s & 40`s Enoch Light )-

View attachment 26925

View attachment 26926

Well of course Bill, it's perfectly 2-channel compatible..! :D You get Anthony Newley (formerly from the front channels!) and then when you click onto the next programme you get Bach's organ (previously found in the rears!) Stereo doesn't get any better than that! :eek:

This was my 2nd attempt to get this reel. As you can see from the right picture my 1st attempt had 2 reel #1s.
So, if someone in quad land has a copy with 2 reel #2s or a have a bad reel #1 maybe we can make a deal.

Attachments

• 20160806_130608.jpg
    20160806_130608.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 171
  • 20160806_130429.jpg
    20160806_130429.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 184
How frustrating that must have been, and those Aloha reels never go cheaply. Just think, somewhere out there there's your bizarro-twin with an Aloha box with two reel #2's in it!

I just got these tapes in from the UK - a great place for quad bargains if you can find them, because I think fredblue is the only person in the UK who cares about quad and thankfully he hasn't set his sights on quad tapes...yet! :eek: These tapes were only £1.20 each (plus shipping) each, which made the fact that these tapes were really dirty and a few of the locking tabs were broken by the overzealous/under-skilled amateur repair-man that owned them before me easier to deal with. The Eagles tape often goes for $50+ on eBay US so I'm counting my blessings.

newtapes-uk-aug8.jpg

Carole King - Tapestry (2nd copy)
Bachman-Turner Overdrive - self-titled 1st album
Gordon Lightfoot - Sundown (2nd copy)
Eagles - One Of These Nights
Carpenters - Now & Then (2nd copy)
Andre Kostelanetz - A Quadraphonic Concert! (exclamation mark theirs, I'm not that excited about this tape)

How frustrating that must have been, and those Aloha reels never go cheaply. Just think, somewhere out there there's your bizarro-twin with an Aloha box with two reel #2's in it!

I just got these tapes in from the UK - a great place for quad bargains if you can find them, because I think fredblue is the only person in the UK who cares about quad and thankfully he hasn't set his sights on quad tapes...yet! :eek: These tapes were only £1.20 each (plus shipping) each, which made the fact that these tapes were really dirty and a few of the locking tabs were broken by the overzealous/under-skilled amateur repair-man that owned them before me easier to deal with. The Eagles tape often goes for $50+ on eBay US so I'm counting my blessings.

Andre Kostelanetz - A Quadraphonic Concert! (exclamation mark theirs, I'm not that excited about this tape)

Great haul..! :yikes :upthumb
Fantastic find on the Eagles! (If you see the Quad record cheap please let me know asap! :D )

Ah.. I don't think any of you Quaddies have anything to worry about, I'm not about to go down the Q8 route anytime soon, the perils of CD-4 have just about finished me off! :nuke

Oh you're right, there's nothing exciting about that Kostelanetz Concert (!) ;)

Great haul..! :yikes :upthumb
Fantastic find on the Eagles! (If you see the Quad record cheap please let me know asap! :D )

Ah.. I don't think any of you Quaddies have anything to worry about, I'm not about to go down the Q8 route anytime soon, the perils of CD-4 have just about finished me off! :nuke

Oh you're right, there's nothing exciting about that Kostelanetz Concert (!) ;)

Adam, in the year 2025 when you finally have the Surround Master's CD~4 demodulator in your possession and are watching 8K video on your Tele, you'll be wishing you had your 'greedy' little hands on that Andre Kostelanetz Q8 concert with special guest star Peter Nero[!]:yikes

Back