What's the Latest QUAD TAPE Added to Your Pile? Q8, Q4

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quad Linda

Staff member
Another new thread crying for birth. A new Quad tape is always a joy. Please note if you acquired a sealed tape.

At one time, Q8 was my format of choice. My CR80-DSS was my first Quad piece. I have it and a Panasonic. I bought a handful used 10 years ago. Since I already own a couple hundred, I'm not in a hurry to acquire more. Although wonderfully discrete, that's about all I can say for it. Quad is the only reason to own 8 track.

I've owned Q4 decks, but never bought Q4 tapes, primarily based on convenience. When I acquire another Q4 deck, I hope to correct this error. Hopefully, it will be sooner instead of later. I look forward to posting more at that point. At 7 1/2 IPS, this IS the best Quad format.

Linda

I just had three come in: Herb Alpert & The TJB: Whipped Cream and other Delights, Flora Purim: Stories to Tell and a (Sealed) Woody Herman: Children of Lima. Kinda bothers me as I have 5 of the 6 Fantasy/Prestige/Milestone Q8's now.... at the time, the 6th (McCoy Tyner) was up for grabs but it went well beyond what I was willing to pay.

I've got another Roy Clark coming in sometime soon as well. And yes, I did open the Woody Herman tape. If they're cut-outs, I open them as the packaging and tape is usually compromised at that point (soldering iron mark). But I've always said, I collect Q8's to play and lend out for converting.

Children of Linda? There were only two of those made. lol!!

Mamacita Linda

I just had three come in: Herb Alpert & The TJB: Whipped Cream and other Delights, Flora Purim: Stories to Tell and a (Sealed) Woody Herman: Children of Lima. Kinda bothers me as I have 5 of the 6 Fantasy/Prestige/Milestone Q8's now.... at the time, the 6th (McCoy Tyner) was up for grabs but it went well beyond what I was willing to pay.

I've got another Roy Clark coming in sometime soon as well. And yes, I did open the Woody Herman tape. If they're cut-outs, I open them as the packaging and tape is usually compromised at that point (soldering iron mark). But I've always said, I collect Q8's to play and lend out for converting.

It's been a month or two since my last Q8 purchase. The title: The Four Tops Meeting of the Minds This thread reminds me, now that I got my Superscope TD-48 q8 deck back from the shop, that I need to listen to it. I don't know what to expect as I've never owned any version of it.

Roy Clark's Come Live with Me. Typical GRT channel cock-up but a really nice mix on this one. Discrete and fun.

latest- "Radioshack Q8/4 Channel demonstration tape" -

- "Experience the exciting thrills of 4-channel sound as Mr.realistic demonstrates to his friend . . . and to you"

- listening experience- the splice broke on the first listen.......... once fixed, more cheesy then I expected but still useful for individually checking if all four speakers are emitting the correct sounds

I have 1 unopened quad 8 track......(the plastic is actually still uncut) called "Duke Ellington New Orleans suite" - this tape also advertises that it is available is CD-4 discrete....does anyone have this one?

next 8 track im looking for- quad Simon and Garfunkel

I just got The Moody Blues Seventh Sojourn & Gordon Lightfoot's Sundown. Haven't listened to them yet as my player is malfunctioning.

I just got another bunch. Hooked on Bach, Helen Reddy (Love Songs for Jeffrey), Mac Davis, and Hugo Montenegro's Dawn of Dylan Romulus Q8.

Chicago IX Greatest Hits Q8 $2
$(KGrHqJHJDYF!d52hcdJBQf,0UIQUQ~~60_35.JPG

The Last batch I got:

Donna Fargo - Happiest Girl in the whole USA (really good mix on that one)
David Gates - Never Let her Go
Ramsey Lewis Trio - Upendo Ni Pamoja
Charlie Rich - Very Special Love Songs
Art Garfunkel - Angel Clare
Paul Simon - Self Titled (looks like a letter "printing". Cartridge has three latches, not two. Hoping it has less mileage than my current copy)
And I did got balls-out for a blue cartridge verison of John Lee Hooker's Never Get out of these Blues Alive. $76.00 for it. Hope I can recoup most of that from selling my white cartridge copy.

I own all but the Fargo on that list. The Hooker I have in QS. Simon, Garfunkel and Lewis I have on SQ & Q8. Upendo Ni Pamoja (Love is Together) is truly a hidden Quad gem. Cleveland Eaton on bass and Morris Jennings on drums are great players, easily as good as Lewis' famous trio w/ Eldee Young and Redd Holt. If you like jazz and/or Ramsey, you NEED this!

The Last batch I got:

Donna Fargo - Happiest Girl in the whole USA (really good mix on that one)
David Gates - Never Let her Go
Ramsey Lewis Trio - Upendo Ni Pamoja
Charlie Rich - Very Special Love Songs
Art Garfunkel - Angel Clare
Paul Simon - Self Titled (looks like a letter "printing". Cartridge has three latches, not two. Hoping it has less mileage than my current copy)
And I did got balls-out for a blue cartridge verison of John Lee Hooker's Never Get out of these Blues Alive. $76.00 for it. Hope I can recoup most of that from selling my white cartridge copy.

Last edited:
Hi I might as well join in as i still have the bad habit of checking ebay pretty much every day.

Right now I'm listening to John Keating 250 years of Film Music - Great stuff, classical but just the good stuff. Fantastic dynamic range for a Q8.
Recently picked up Frank Sinatra's Ol Blue Eyes is back and although I'm not a fan of this later stuff this has grown on me too.
Waiting with anticipation for the Isley Brothers 3+3 and Scott Joplin - The Red Back Book.

Been looking for the Isleys for quite a while.

Showed off Garfunkels "I Shall Sing" to a guy who hadn't heard quad before and it blew him away as it always does to me.

ken

Perhaps one day, there will be an official release of I Shall Sing by Van Morrison, who wrote it. Although it has been bootlegged, he has never officially released it. The first officially released version was by Miriam Makeba in 1970. I Shall Sing is an outtake from Moondance. Perhaps it could be added as a bonus track IF the 5.1 mix of Moondance is ever released.

...Showed off Garfunkels "I Shall Sing" to a guy who hadn't heard quad before and it blew him away as it always does to me.

ken

That explains why i have never been able to track down a Van Morrison album with that song in it! I always wondered what his version would have been like. A 5.1 mix of Moondance with that added would be an amazing thing. Too bad he's such a crabby old guy.

ken

Three more on the way.

Johnnie Taylor - Rated eXtraordinare
Steve Miller - Fly Like an Eagle
Barbra Streisand - Stoney End

Back