What's the Latest QUAD TAPE Added to Your Pile? Q8, Q4

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Live At Fillmore West - Aretha Franklin (Q8)

TBePUlM.jpg

vHtpRdD.jpg

Otz8TBo.jpg

kcZT2DF.jpg

Big Haul today for me!

Those Eagles tapes from my other post showed up and yes, the sound on them is MUCH better than the orange cartridges.
Allman Brothers Live at the Fillmore showed up. No slipcases, but the cartridges are in nice shape.
Mountain - Flowers of Evil (the live cartridge - and blue!) and yes, it's Quad.

And two cartridges I'd sent to ArmyofQuad for conversion came back as well. So, a pretty heavy haul!

AND, over $200 and the nice man at the border crossing didn't hit me for any taxes. That was completely unexpected!

I'm Coming Home - Johnny Mathis (Q8)

wQwgfFB.jpg

fUXDix6.jpg

RAlZmWB.jpg

Adam, is this your first Dolby b encoded Q8? Love to know how it sounds.

BTW, do you have to change the sensing foil and pads on every Q8 cartridge you've recently purchased?

Sorta, kinda reminds me of my Super 8mm filmmaking days when I had to splice sections of film together the old fashioned way and also repair Open Reel tape splices when they broke. :yikes Actually, I became a pro at it.

Also, is the Aretha Franklin Q8 tape Live At Fillmore West DISCRETE or ambience, only, in the rears?

Adam, is this your first Dolby b encoded Q8? Love to know how it sounds.

BTW, do you have to change the sensing foil and pads on every Q8 cartridge you've recently purchased?

Sorta, kinda reminds me of my Super 8mm filmmaking days when I had to splice sections of film together the old fashioned way and also repair Open Reel tape splices when they broke. :yikes Actually, I became a pro at it.

Also, is the Aretha Franklin Q8 tape Live At Fillmore West DISCRETE or ambience, only, in the rears?

hey Ralph, I think it is the first Dolby cart, I will check it out and get back to you (love this album and the Quad from SQ LP is a joy, can't wait to hear it discrete!)

ah the pads and splices.. I used to do it all the time and got fairly good at it but have long got out of the habit so I'm a bit rusty.. with this recent 8 track stint some of the tapes have come repaired by the sellers, for the others so far this is how i've done it; if its not the RCA/Warner style with felt pads on springs I pull out a little bit of tape, give the spongey pads a little push and if they compress I pull a bit more tape out, whip the sponges out, clean off the white plastic backing strip of gunk, stick new spongey stuff (I have two types, one is like a window draught excluder which is self adhesive, some other types of tape used to work better with a softer material which I would cut from dishwashing sponges, I know they say you shouldn't do that but for the amount of times I'm going to play these - I really want to just get one or two decent playthroughs of each tape at this point to record them in - it'll do I think) if its the springy type I make new pads from cut up bits of the fuzzy felt stuff you stick on the legs of furniture when setting it on wooden floors, with a bit of double sided tape to adhere it to the springy things seems to work ok.. as for the splices, if the tapes not there already I set the player with continuous play off and jump straight to the last programme, when the tape hits the end and ker-chunks for the last time I whip it out and check the splice, if it hasn't broken at that stage (which most of the unrepaired ones that I've played have!) then I'd give it a little gentle tug at either end of the splice, if it feels ok I leave it, if it feels a bit suspect I'll reinforce it with some clear tape (there's a Scotch type that is really good its v.thin, light, slippy and strong enough.. and if the splice has gone altogether I used to use a drop of glue to stick it back but after years handling power tools my hands aren't steady enough to muck about with cement anymore so I will just tape them up until I put in an order for some proper sensing foil strips and pads (its mental, the shipping from the States is way more than the foil strips & proper pads, so I'll wait and ask a seller to chuck some in with a cart or something down the line, in the meantime my DIY botch job will tide me over I think/hope!

not had a chance to try Aretha Live yet but as soon as I do I will let you know (I suspect it may be discrete but you never know do you!)

hey Ralph, I think it is the first Dolby cart, I will check it out and get back to you (love this album and the Quad from SQ LP is a joy, can't wait to hear it discrete!)

ah the pads and splices.. I used to do it all the time and got fairly good at it but have long got out of the habit so I'm a bit rusty.. with this recent 8 track stint some of the tapes have come repaired by the sellers, for the others so far this is how i've done it; if its not the RCA/Warner style with felt pads on springs I pull out a little bit of tape, give the spongey pads a little push and if they compress I pull a bit more tape out, whip the sponges out, clean off the white plastic backing strip of gunk, stick new spongey stuff (I have two types, one is like a window draught excluder which is self adhesive, some other types of tape used to work better with a softer material which I would cut from dishwashing sponges, I know they say you shouldn't do that but for the amount of times I'm going to play these - I really want to just get one or two decent playthroughs of each tape at this point to record them in - it'll do I think) if its the springy type I make new pads from cut up bits of the fuzzy felt stuff you stick on the legs of furniture when setting it on wooden floors, with a bit of double sided tape to adhere it to the springy things seems to work ok.. as for the splices, if the tapes not there already I set the player with continuous play off and jump straight to the last programme, when the tape hits the end and ker-chunks for the last time I whip it out and check the splice, if it hasn't broken at that stage (which most of the unrepaired ones that I've played have!) then I'd give it a little gentle tug at either end of the splice, if it feels ok I leave it, if it feels a bit suspect I'll reinforce it with some clear tape (there's a Scotch type that is really good its v.thin, light, slippy and strong enough.. and if the splice has gone altogether I used to use a drop of glue to stick it back but after years handling power tools my hands aren't steady enough to muck about with cement anymore so I will just tape them up until I put in an order for some proper sensing foil strips and pads (its mental, the shipping from the States is way more than the foil strips & proper pads, so I'll wait and ask a seller to chuck some in with a cart or something down the line, in the meantime my DIY botch job will tide me over I think/hope!

not had a chance to try Aretha Live yet but as soon as I do I will let you know (I suspect it may be discrete but you never know do you!)

Mama Mia, Adam. Sounds like you could use a personal assistant to keep 'track' of your new Q8 acquisitions.......doing ALL necessary repairs.:yikes

And when I think of POWER TOOLS I think of: https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...F10AF169077397A93B5BF10AF&fsscr=0&FORM=VDRVRV

War- The World Is A Ghetto

Surprised I didn't end up bidding against anyone from here...guess you all have it already.

Also Enoch Light- Brass Menagerie '74 SEALED

Just love the 101 Strings.

Should I send off the card? Wonder what would happen. Probably nothing. :)

Attachments

• Bacharach and Webb, FT.jpg
    Bacharach and Webb, FT.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 168
  • Bacharach and Webb, R.jpg
    Bacharach and Webb, R.jpg
    358.1 KB · Views: 168
  • Bacharach and Webb.jpg
    Bacharach and Webb.jpg
    358.2 KB · Views: 164
  • Mail-In, FT.jpg
    Mail-In, FT.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 156
  • Mail-In, R.jpg
    Mail-In, R.jpg
    287.1 KB · Views: 176
Donny Hathaway, Extension of a Man (quad reel transferred to DVD-A). I don't know what my excuse is, but before this, I mainly knew Hathaway from covers (jazz and other). Great tunes, great players, and liner notes by Nikki Giovanni! The quad mix is okay, but I find the recording--like a lot of 70s pop & soul--midrange- and reverb-heavy and, strangely for a quad reel, I also hear a fair amount of flutter. This is an album that's crying out for a high-res reissue!

R-8718077-1467260857-3059.jpeg.jpg

Donny Hathaway, Extension of a Man (quad reel transferred to DVD-A). I don't know what my excuse is, but before this, I mainly knew Hathaway from covers (jazz and other). Great tunes, great players, and liner notes by Nikki Giovanni! The quad mix is okay, but I find the recording--like a lot of 70s pop & soul--midrange- and reverb-heavy and, strangely for a quad reel, I also hear a fair amount of flutter. This is an album that's crying out for a high-res reissue!

R-8718077-1467260857-3059.jpeg.jpg

is this somebody elses' conversion? (not really supposed to chat about those out in the open on QQ afaik?)

fwiw the CD-4 LP does not sound like that, its great!

Back