What's the Latest QUAD TAPE Added to Your Pile? Q8, Q4

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't given a listen yet. What do you mean by "arse-about-face"? Swapped channels?

Some say the SACD (which basically contains the Quad mix) has BL swapped for BR and BR swapped for back left.

P.S. - That's a killer score for only a buck. I can remember a time when that cartridge sold in the hundreds-of-dollars range on eBay.

Quad R2R's:
UK DSOTM (dub, but it blows away my EMI Q8)
Billy Joel - Piano Man
Q8's:
Chicago 3 (both carts, SS) Canadian release
John Lee Hooker - Never get out of these blues
Fred Waring & The Pennsylvanians - SS

Hit up the thrift store & came away a Happy Camper, err Quader.

I bought an interesting Q8. Seems like a rare one.

Green Board South Railroad Sounds
The Sounds Of Southern Railway Steam Engines In Motion

Those are Brad Miller projects I believe. Would love to have digital transfers of those - said the big train fans.

Yes. If you love trains in Surround Sound, the Brad Miller CD-4 Quadradiscs, Q8 tapes and DTS Discs are very enjoyable.

Is that the guy that recorded some of the quad sound effects used on DSOTM? Isn't there a quad sound effects tape/record with some of those sounds?

Is that the guy that recorded some of the quad sound effects used on DSOTM? Isn't there a quad sound effects tape/record with some of those sounds?

No, Brad Miller was the producer of the Mystic Moods albums that were issued by Warner Bros. in Quad and the founder of Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab.
He also owned 5.1 Entertainment, the first company to issue DTS CDs as well as a DTS decoder.

I think only one of these (train - thunderstorm) made it onto DTS CD, were there others?

There was a Train Sound Effects DTS CD (Steel Rails Under Thundering Skies) plus some train effects on his DTS Sound Sampler (Surround Sound for the Millennium) - both on his 5.1 Entertainment label.

This barely counts but I found another convert-a-quad recording 8-track for a dollar. Someone used it for a stereo recording but no writing on the label. It's in great shape. I now have 5 of these. All I need now is a Q8 recording deck. A couple I already had were broken. I finally got around to fixing them all tonight. I've grown to love fixing 8-tracks as now I have a near 100% success rate.

There was a Train Sound Effects DTS CD (Steel Rails Under Thundering Skies) plus some train effects on his DTS Sound Sampler (Surround Sound for the Millennium) - both on his 5.1 Entertainment label.

Brad also released HDS DTS CD's of "The Storm and the Sea" which is just amazing recordings of thunderstorms/rain and the ocean and also The Mystic Moods "Stormy Memories" which is piano music over a bed of rain and ocean sounds. Both are two of my most played discs, especially when I want to relax.

My most recent score was a Billy Joel 'Piano Man' Q8. I scooped it for a Buy-it-Now of $89 bucks. That's the cheapest I think I've ever seen. Interesting mix, pretty standard Columbia style channel layout. It has one tape glitch (splice) but it's a good splice. I've recorded it in and am in the process of cleaning it up to send off for converting. I can understand why most conversions of this title have been from the record. The Q8 is a bit hissy.

I would say this has a little more tape noise than normal. Compounding the problem is low levels as well. It'll clean up, it'll just take some futzing with.

Latest Scores:

Mott the Hoople
Earth, Wind & Fire - Open Our Eyes
Ted Nugent - Free for All

The E,W&F title completes the E,W&F collection.

My most recent score was a Billy Joel 'Piano Man' Q8. I've recorded it in and am in the process of cleaning it up to send off for converting.

What does that mean?

Aren't they all?

I think so, I have acquired some R2R home recordings of Q8 sources and non-discrete vinyl sources and frankly the "taped tapes" are pretty muffled/hissy sounding compared to the vinyl.

On a happier note I got the Q4 Stardrive today and getting ready to give it a spin.

Back