What's the Latest QUAD TAPE Added to Your Pile? Q8, Q4

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was that the gold canadian cart with Dolby B?
If so, that was a good price.
It should sound good.
My gold cart copy does not have the Dolby B, so they must have been release with and without Dolby B?

vinylguy4

Managed to get Buffy Ste Marie Illuminations as a Q4 still sealed. Played once on my new toy, an Akai reel to reel deck with built in 8 track quad and it sounded great. Way ahead of its time! I think it was the first quad vocal release made, in 1969.

ken

Received today - the London Symphony Orchestra (with guest artists) version of Tommy, and the UK version of Machine Head, in absolutely pristine condition. Look at the corners on the cardboard insert!

uk_q8s.jpg

Great score Buddy! That Machinehead release is supposed to the best version. I've had the Canadian 8 track for a long time but since I got the DVD A I have to admit i haven't listened to the 8 track much.

The EMI UK Q8 of Machine Head is notable because actually an entirely different mix from the US (and Canadian) Q8 and quad reel, which were released by Warner. The UK quad mix is (or was) also available on the SACD issued in the early 2000's, which had a couple of the 5.1 mixes from the Rhino DVD-A as bonus tracks.

Just got these three in a trade for some classic rock stereo tapes in a 4:1 trade:

They all needed new pads and splices hence the exposed screw on the GFR tape.

A_L

Out of curiosity, do you remember what you traded?

Some common classic rock tapes and two rarer ones. The two rarer ones were Van Halen's 1984 and Scorpions Love at First Sting. Others were things like Bad Company ST, Led Zep I, VH 2, some Robin Trower, Jethro Tull, Hendrix. The person I traded with did not have a quad 8 track player and was just getting into 8 tracks.

A_L

Wow! There are people getting into stereo eight tracks even now? I have to agree with Quad Linda that the only reason I still have a setup is for Q8's other wise the format is really poor. The only reasons i could think to get into them is that it would really be low cost or you have a nostalgic setup in an old car or you really really want to belong to a cult even weirder than this one. Heh heh. That being said I still have some....

Wow! There are people getting into stereo eight tracks even now? I have to agree with Quad Linda that the only reason I still have a setup is for Q8's other wise the format is really poor. The only reasons i could think to get into them is that it would really be low cost or you have a nostalgic setup in an old car or you really really want to belong to a cult even weirder than this one. Heh heh. That being said I still have some....

I have the only 2013 Dodge Charger with 8 track player.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4b4mRa-Ixzw

A_L

66Grandeguy said:

Get a Pioneer H-R100, it may change your mind about stereo 8-tracks.

I think I pick the cult reason

arnold_layne said:
Some common classic rock tapes and two rarer ones. The two rarer ones were Van Halen's 1984 and Scorpions Love at First Sting. Others were things like Bad Company ST, Led Zep I, VH 2, some Robin Trower, Jethro Tull, Hendrix. The person I traded with did not have a quad 8 track player and was just getting into 8 tracks.

A_L

Oooh, 1984, that IS rare. I believe I have it (I hope I do since I'm a Van Halen completist, its one of those things I think I have but have not seen in a while). I have Michael Jackson Bad, which is an even more rare columbia house tape.

66Grandeguy said:
or you really really want to belong to a cult even weirder than this one.

Instead of foil hats we have foil splices. Who wants to join?

Get a Pioneer H-R100, it may change your mind about stereo 8-tracks.

I think I pick the cult reason

Yeah I have one of those decks. Needs some work. Plays for a while then the output goes to static. Barry of Barry's 8 track repair said he can fix it but he's pricey. Hard to find techs who can work on 8 track decks.

A_L

Back