QuadRecord Player??? Hzzzzzzzz

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elguapo511

I have a kenwood kp-5022.

When setting the turntable speed and using the stroboscope a section of the manual reads-"Turntable is revolving faster than 33 1/3 rpm at 50 Hz" Then another diagram shows "Turntable revolving slower than 33 1/3 rpm at 50Hz"

The stroboscope has 4 lines. The top two are for checking the speed at 50Hz and the lower two are for checking speed at 60Hz.
I understand how to use the stroboscope and how to adjust it and all that. BUT what is the difference between the different Hz. How to Hz's apply to me?

Which one should I use. I am in the USA, if it is a regional power isue?

Thanks for the help. Just got Zappa overnight sensation in the mail today. Need to get these Hz's figured out before I let it spin.

The "Hz" stands for Hertz and it is the frequency of the voltage from the mains supply (wall outlet). This means how fast the current flows back and forth through wire. It goes one way first and then reverses and goes the other way.

So if the supply is 60 Hz., the current switches direction 60 times per second.

If you are in the US, the frequency here is 60 Hz. There were some areas in the northeast that were 50 Hz at one time but I don't think they are anymore.

So, you would use the bottom two rows for adjusting your speeds.

hey - now thats some news i could use - wondered why the 4 bands of timing marks on the platter - william

thanks for the tips.... so given that I think my record player broken.
It is old so Im thinking the motor is losing life as it is playing at a very slow seed. Any easy ways to fix a motor?

no ...dont go there yet - more likely a belt ...if belt driven - and if not - i have opened a few direct drive ttables to find the grease turned into ...hmmm....wax - that cant help - if you are brave enough to investigate a motor repair - take a look inside - tell us what you find - and if you havent done this - do it ...... the adjustment knobs for slowing and speeding the platter up - go to the limit in both directions...turn it or them - all the way clockwise and of course all the way counterclockwise - i have a 3 year old boy - there isnt a knob or dial he hasnt touched on my stuff - sometimes i find my stuff not working and in what seems hours - i have to go through and figure out what has been messed with - and on my simple ttable - i have noticed that if i go too far with the adjustments .... i dont know - its tricky. but i like strobe lights - ! oh yeah - if its turning slow - turn it to 45 revolutions per minute - see if you can adjust it to where the speed is accurate.

most platters will lift off of the spindle - so if or when you flip that dude upside down - remember that - and use a rubber band to secure your tonearm. i am trying to think of all the dumb stuff i have done before - so you dont. boy......the list!

willey

hey - now thats some news i could use - wondered why the 4 bands of timing marks on the platter - william
pitch adjustment if the power feeding is in a different voltage.

thanks for the tips.... so given that I think my record player broken.
It is old so Im thinking the motor is losing life as it is playing at a very slow seed. Any easy ways to fix a motor?
your Kenwood seems like has direct drive and do not employ belt. instead it has direct drive mechanism with 8-pole 24 slot
DC servo motor in which platter actually is a rotor. most likely there no problem with this mechanism but can be problem with
components which are supplying power to it. could be bad, dry capacitors, faulty resistors or diods, etc.

The motor turns the table directly, as opposed to a belt or idler wheel between the two, so there's no potential to slip as rubber belts or tires can be prone to as they age. The speed is determined by the electronics that control the motor and there is a possible failure mode within the motor, as William noted above, if the lubricant inside the motor has turned sticky instead of slippery. Motor repair would be something for an experienced tech, unless you are familiar with motor disassembly/reassembly, but if it spins freely when turned and the unit is off, and continues to spin after given a start, the lube is OK. As Otto noted above, the control electronics could have faulty components. In my experience the most common/easily fixed problem is the speed control potentiometer (what the speed control knob is actually turning) oxidation internal to this part could stop it from setting the speed correctly, I would turn it in each direction back-and-forth a dozen times and then try setting the speed, if it seems to make a difference, then good moving-contact cleaner sprayed inside the potentiometer will clean the oxidation.

Thanks quadsearcher and I will just add that in a direct drive turntable, the platter/spindle actually is a part of the motor. It serves as the rotor.

Oops, Otto already said this above.

:D

Doug

Thanks Doug, I forgot about that style with the stationary flat coils driving the platter (rotor) directly , I think my Yamaha has an enclosed motor with the platter stuck on the shaft. I could be wrong though.

alright. its been to long. Im taking this think apart. gonna start a new thread. maybe you can help.

Back