PINK FLOYD: DSOTM Immersion Box - Post your price

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
$110 at Best Buy. I have been avoiding BB for 7 years now, but today was a good experience - stand right next to the door, boxes on the side. I didn't have to talk to any of the employees except for the cashier - who was actually capable of doing her job!! I plan to do the same with the WYWH box.

$199NZ at my local JB-HIFI store... thats $154 US.... ouch!!!

Its $154NZ via Amazon..... to ship to NZ.

The joy of living in the middle of nowhere....

The thing that sucks about this box set is I just want the AP Quad mix on a Blu-ray - I have the bootleg but would love to have the 'officially released' version too, but nope, I can't just buy that - I have to buy the whole box and I'm not interested in any thing else on it. Certainly not to have the awful modern surround mix again.

Nice thread and info, glad some of you guys got this already. But can anybody answer the following yet:

2. In how far does the 448 kbps DD mix sound bad? I mean, apart from it being DD. Is it muddy? Overly compressed? ...
in digital domain, 4 mono tracks at 96/24 contains sum of 9216kbps information data about captured sound.
9216kbps (9Mb/sec) vs.448kbps (0.4Mb/sec)
1:20 compression ratio. 1/20 part of original sound information will be delivered to listener.

I went to the Best Buy armed with a $40 gift card and picked up one of the three boxes...but couldn't pull the trigger. It's supposed to hit the mid-80s the next few days here in Southern CA, which is definitely not scarf weather.

I was vacillating on where to get it here in Canada (most box stores were at $120); until Amazon.ca inexplicably lowered the price to $94 (with free shipping). So I
ordered it from there yesterday only to see it jump back up to $110 today.(whew!!) So far they've had a good return track record with me. Just went thru it with the Layla deluxe box set ...lousy packaging ...looked like the Brazilian national soccer team kicked it to Toronto from South America. It was a mess and all I wanted was the Eliot Scheiner surround DVD anyway. They took it back no problem.

No price information from South America? Or isn't supposed to be released locally there?

Just a heads up for Americans interested in the WYWH Immersion set. Amazon.ca has just dropped the price to $92 (our dollars are nearly par). That's $28 less than Amazon.com. You may want to consider pre-ordering from there. Do the math on the shipping and with the USD trending higher than the CAD, the exchange by November might even cover the extra shipping. Since any pre-order can be cancelled at any time...locking in now at $92 might make sense for you.

Yep, and if the price ever goes lower before shipping, you will be charged the lowest price. I pre-ordered both WYWH and DSOTM from Amazon.ca, and the price has come down about $16-$18 on both from the original pre-order price.

If you live in the US, however, wouldn't you have to consider duties when ordering from amazon.ca? You certainly would if crossing the border in the other direction.

If you live in the US, however, wouldn't you have to consider duties when ordering from amazon.ca? You certainly would if crossing the border in the other direction.

I was able to get the Deep Purple DVD-A right before it went OOP in December 2006 from amazon.ca. It was a bit more expensive than normal by a small amount, but there were no duties (that I know about) when getting the package. It might have been included in price, but I don't recall paying duties when getting packages here. I have never paid duties from buying things from Canada, but they are a bit more expensive sometimes for us in the U.S. When sending though to Canada, yes I've had to fill out slip and pay duties.

Maybe someone else's experience has been something different?

Interesting. I doubt the duty was included in the price. It was probably that the value of the item was low enough that the US customs folks let it through.

When importing products from the US into Canada, whether you are charged duties and taxes depends on the value of the item, and how it is marked. If I recall correctly, if it is marked as "merchandise" you will be charged taxes and duties if the value is over $20. If it is marked as a "gift", then you are only charged duties and taxes if the value is over $60. Of course, it is fairly common to mark something as a lower value than what was really paid, however that is considered illegal, and of course Amazon will not do that. I've found that I am generally not charged anything if I buy just a single CD/DVDA/SACD at a time, but if I purchase multiple, I am sometimes charged.

In addition, duties are charged only on items made outside of the US. Items made in the US are only charged taxes, not duty. This is part of the NAFTA agreement I believe.

Do your homework on duties people. It could save you big bucks. Remember you don't pay state taxes on dot ca purchases. Look at the upcoming Aqualung box set. It's $158 at Amazon.com and $104 at Amazon.ca. I'd be very surprised if you wouldn't save money on that even after shipping and duties. I've been playing the dot ca vs dot com game for years now and have saved tons. This is the first year I've seen these kinds of differences though. And if the USD strengthens against the CAD ....you save even more. And don't forget you can just cancel any pre-order with either Amazon without penalty, so lock in the low prices while you ponder the mysteries of the 49th parallel.

not so long ago all my purchases from amazon.com was billed cost+shipping.
but few months back they started to charge from credit card extra "deposit"
for duty fees. that's why i have turned for an assistance to Kevin who is member
here. so far it's works great. don't know how this works with purchases from Canada
to USA but most likely it's same. anyway, if someone already placed order on amazon.ca,
there during finalizing, amazon should reflect the final cost, including duty fees deposit
if they charge them.

Thanks for the tip. I pre-ordered WYWH from .ca. At the current exchange rate, including shipping, it is less than $100 USD. My recollection is that we are allowed to import items up to $250 duty free. I did buy the DSOTM set locally to avoid damage, but after seeing the shape of the box and the way the innards are packaged I feel it's worth ordering from Canada next time.

The thing that sucks about this box set is I just want the AP Quad mix on a Blu-ray - I have the bootleg but would love to have the 'officially released' version too, but nope, I can't just buy that - I have to buy the whole box and I'm not interested in any thing else on it. Certainly not to have the awful modern surround mix again.

Well you could just buy the set and remove the blu-ray, which is in a tight-fitting picture sleeve, then sell the set minus just that. I'm sure there are plenty of people who are anti-blu-ray or just don't have a blu-ray player that would buy it and be happy with the Dolby Digital versions. I'd be curious to see what it would sell for since I've been considering doing this.

I did buy the box. Now the question is do I want to sell it and just keep the one disk.

Too bad Nautilus never did a dbx II encoded version of the SQ mix - I prefer it, in stereo, to the standard stereo mix.

I always did, too. Not entirely sure why, but always thought it sounded better.

Played the Guthrie mix off the Blu-ray and didn't hate it...I have better (and better adjusted) equipment than in 2003. But like you I still prefer the Parsons mix.

Will someone be creating a Wish You Were Here Immersion Box thread?

Should be interesting to see if the quad version is on the Blu-ray. If not, I'll just get the SACD and be done with it.

Back