Thread: Pink Floyd - DARK SIDE OF THE MOON [Blu-Ray Audio]

Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranOverdriveCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entry
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Pink Floyd - DARK SIDE OF THE MOON [Blu-Ray Audio]

From the Dark Side of the Moon Immersion Box Set, please post your thoughts and comments on the 24/96 HiRez audio of this album. Comments on both the 5.1 and the 4.0 mixes should be made in this single thread. Please indicate what mix you are commenting on when you post.

DSOTM BD Front.jpg
    DSOTM BD Back.jpg
    DSOTM BD Disc.jpg
    :-jon

Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Pink Floyd - DARK SIDE OF THE MOON [Blu-Ray]

Here is a look at the 4.0 Alan Parsons mix audio wav files as extracted with AudioMuxer from the Blu-Ray Disc:

DSOTM wavs BD.jpg

Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is a look at the 5.1 James Guthrie mix audio wav files as extracted with AudioMuxer from the Blu-Ray Disc:

DSOTM 5.1 wav.jpg

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star winopener's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 484
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Seems they got it right: no visible compression or brickwalling.
    BTW, in the SH forum they are starting to rave about the 4.0 AP mix... we already knew!

Quad Goddess & Moderator Quad Linda's Avatar
    Level
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveSocial1 year registeredCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Post Thanks / Like

BD is the ONLY way to listen to DSOTM! Immersion is all you need and the reference for DSOTM. Got home at midnight and stayed up until 5AM listening to the 4.0 Parsons & 5.1 Guthrie on BD. Did some A/B'ing, mainly for tonal differences, since I A/B'ed the Parsons & Guthrie mixes eight years ago. No surprise which I preferred: PARSONS!!! I also played the 5.1 on DVD in my car. I noticed things in the Guthrie I didn't recall on SACD. Things like better cymbal decays and picking things out clearly. This probably has more to do with different equipment than the mix or media. I need to A/B the BD/DVD-V/SACD in 5.1. Also played portions of the 2.0 on BD. Here's what hit me:

1-First time I heard Parsons w/o decoding. That and the higher fidelity really do it justice. Heard lots of things I never heard before, ala upgrading your audio system. Clearer, more time cohesive harmonics were the biggest improvement. My new fave, as I expected.
    2-Parsons seems brighter and crisper in the high end. Am I IMAGINING this? It WAS 3AM.
    3-Guthrie sounded great. I've waxed enthusiastic on the 5.1 SACD in other threads. With fidelity now (roughly) equal, it pales, mix and TONALLY. They are close tonally w/ same player, disc, system, settings, etc. It hit me that there's a different philosopy in mixing 5.1, opposed to 4.0. Aren't they basically the same thing? 4.0 has LFE is mixed in and a phantom center. 5.1 mixes seem to ignore the four quadrants, which many engineers emphasized in 4.0. More imagining on my part?
    4-Parsons has a more "solid" feel with better overall seperation/mix.
    5-2.0 seems punchiest and most solid. I synthesized surround on my B&K. Sounded awesome, though the other two are my preferences.

Linda
    Could it be that somebody else is looking inside my mind, some other place, somewhere, some other time?
    KWAD KITTY

Level
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 109
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Blog entryTagger Second Class10000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    QQ Counsel
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quad Linda View Post
    5.1 mixes seem to ignore the four quadrants, which many engineers emphasized in 4.0.
    That's what I found lacking with many 5.1 mixes at first listen, like the engineer had an embarrassment to put ANY sound behind one in the rear speakers like what Quadraphonic does. So we got in some instances essentially a stereo mix across the front speakers with a little reverb "ambiance" for the rears. This IMO doesn't make for all that great of surround experience (Although I do a have a few SACDs where this sort of mix was fine for the type of music). There are also many ways to listen to music, all equally valid. Many folks are looking for that certain type of feeling one gets from music regardless of channels.

Many mixes sound like the engineer was over their head for surround, never heard any Quad before and were not open to immersing themselves into music/sound. IMO we hear forward not only what we hear in front of us, but equally important what is behind us. You need at least 4 speakers minimum in order to create the 360 degree sound field with equal sound coming from each speaker.

5.1 and 4.0 although cousins to each other are slightly different animals just as Mono and Stereo are different, at least those were my feelings at first. There are also many approaches to surround, the 3 channel Stereo as with the "Living Stereo" titles are really enjoyable. Since we do have 360 degrees to play with, the possibilities are endless for mixing in surround. And since disc space is now larger, more than one surround mix can be on a disc now, along with Stereo/Mono of course.

So now we have new ways how to go that will hopefully all come together from now on, new 5.1 surround mixes (perhaps 7.1?) and the preservation of Quadraphonic music from vintage Master Tapes, along with Stereo/Mono. I'm real happy that we have all 3 of these great mixes all on one disc. Totally cool. This IMO is the way to go and hope that this is THE standard (the inclusion of many mixes in one package regardless of format) for putting out vintage material from any era.
    Quadraphonic.info - Free Manuals, Articles and more.

Carnival of Stars - World Dance & Art Convention. August 2 & 3, 2014. Richmond, California

Level
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Post Thanks / Like

Agreed, OQG! I like all 3 mixes and both Layla's, though I prefer the Scheiber mix on that. Like Italian gravy, aka spaghetti sauce, there are lots of great ways to do it.

Linda
    Incredibly Immersed
    KWAD KITTY

Level
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 16
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Post Thanks / Like

help me out people. how do i appropriately listen to the quad mix disc on a 5.1 sound system? do i just mute the sub?
    also, do i need to place these marbles in any configuration to maximize the surround effects?

Level
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Post Thanks / Like

You can just listen with the sub connected. The 4.0 mix has been coverted with LFE track for the sub and center channel.

The marbles need to be in a triangular configuration, which is why there's three.

Linda
    KWAD KITTY

Level
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 16
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Post Thanks / Like

"The 4.0 mix has been coverted with LFE track for the sub and center channel"
    im confused
    so That means it is 4.0mix through 5.1 channels, they simply pit the low low effects in the center and sub?

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star BananaSlug's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 11
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't forget to wrap the scarf around your neck clockwise three times - counterclockwise (anti-clockwise) in the southern hemisphere.

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star 0tto's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 340
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JonUrban View Post
    Here is a look at the 4.0 Alan Parsons mix audio wav files as extracted with AudioMuxer from the Blu-Ray Disc:
    Jon can you do screenshots with spectral analysis of the waveform?

Level
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, the 4.0 is sort of 5.1. The center is in lieu of "phantom" and the sub reproduces the LFE info, derived from the 4.0 Parsons mix.

Banana Slug, there is a corresponding hemispheric shift for the discs themselves, as well. Likewise, the marbles should be spun counter clockwise in the Southern hemisphere.

Linda
    Softer Side of the Moon

Quote Originally Posted by elguapo511 View Post
    im confused
    so That means it is 4.0mix through 5.1 channels, they simply pit the low low effects in the center and sub?
    KWAD KITTY

Level
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 17
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

im confused
    Since it is quad there will be sound coming out of your front left/right and surround left/right speakers. Also, if your system configured for bass management (i.e., your front/surround speakers are not full range and you have a subwoofer) then the lower frequency portion of the audio will be redirected to your subwoofer.

AFAIK when playing 5.1 music, the audio coming out of a subwoofer in a 5.1 system is more from bass being redirected from the other speakers (bass management) than actual LFE content since LFE is designed for movie audio. But for 5.1 music the sound mixer may throw some content into the .1 (LFE) so that nobody complains about there not being any LFE

Level
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Post Thanks / Like

That's very true, Bill. In an earlier post on this or another thread, it was listed that there is a center channel on the "4.0 mix" and a ".1" channel created for LFE. There IS a center channel on the "4.0." In effect, it is the 4.0 mix adapted for 5.1. Your explaination is correct for an ACTUAL 4.0 recording.

Sorry to have caused any confusion. I'm not writing clearly. Stayed up getting Immersed until 5AM!

Linda

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Sherbon View Post
    Since it is quad there will be sound coming out of your front left/right and surround left/right speakers. Also, if your system configured for bass management (i.e., your front/surround speakers are not full range and you have a subwoofer) then the lower frequency portion of the audio will be redirected to your subwoofer.

AFAIK when playing 5.1 music, the audio coming out of a subwoofer in a 5.1 system is more from bass being redirected from the other speakers (bass management) than actual LFE content since LFE is designed for movie audio. But for 5.1 music the sound mixer may throw some content into the .1 (LFE) so that nobody complains about there not being any LFE
    KWAD KITTY

Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

im confused

QL, I'm pretty sure you are wrong.

The 4.0 mix is indeed ONLY 4.0. Look at the wav files above. Now, your reciever setup may be taking the 4.0 mix and creating a .1 and a center channel, but there is no fake .1 or C channel on the blue ray. It's straight 4.0.

So, for those with 5.1 systems, your center speaker and sub will be silent (unless your receiver creates audio for these). Because of this, you should have full sized rears to match your fronts, just like the old quad days. Of course, you could listen and get the surround with smaller back speakers, you'll just lose the lower freq's that are in the rears.

Level
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Post Thanks / Like

I stand corrected.

Linda

Quote Originally Posted by JonUrban View Post
    QL, I'm pretty sure you are wrong.

The 4.0 mix is indeed ONLY 4.0. Look at the wav files above. Now, your reciever setup may be taking the 4.0 mix and creating a .1 and a center channel, but there is no fake .1 or C channel on the blue ray. It's straight 4.0.

So, for those with 5.1 systems, your center speaker and sub will be silent (unless your receiver creates audio for these). Because of this, you should have full sized rears to match your fronts, just like the old quad days. Of course, you could listen and get the surround with smaller back speakers, you'll just lose the lower freq's that are in the rears.
    KWAD KITTY

Level
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Post Thanks / Like

A solid 10, even if it only had the Guthrie mix! The Parsons 4.0 mix in all it's glory and the pink noise/voice announcements make this one go to 11!

Linda
    Immersed with the Dark Side Up
    KWAD KITTY

Level
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 179
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh, so this is why new Blu-ray movies don't come with LPCM anymore, and have switched to dts HD MA. The studios must not like the idea of these boxes being used.

What would happen if I plugged my Sony ES5400 SACD player HDMI into this. Would it give me surround sound without needing a compatible receiver? That might be interesting.

Level
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cupboy View Post
    Oh, so this is why new Blu-ray movies don't come with LPCM anymore, and have switched to dts HD MA. The studios must not like the idea of these boxes being used.
    Even though the studios hate fun little boxes like this, I don't think it has anything to do with the shift away from LPCM. My understanding of why LPCM isn't used for movies is because it takes up so much more space on the disc, leaving less room for the image and for special features. (And ads.)

In fact, if I recall correctly the main reason it was used at all was to aid compatibility between early Blu-ray decks (which had issues working with the advanced codecs at first) and early HDMI receivers. For instance, my Yamaha HTR-5990 had HDMI 1.2 switching and didn't have any of the later codecs, but it could handle a 5.1 LPCM stream at 24/96 without a hitch.
    Last edited by Analogueghost; 09-30-2011 at 07:17 AM. Reason: Grammar correction.

500 Club - QQ All Star The Bright Side's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 140
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey guys, has anybody A/B'd the quad mix on the BluRay and the underground DVD-A bootleg? It sounds like the BluRay blows it outta the water, but I'd still love to know because... Well, it's 100 dollars... And I don't even have room in my apartment for all the junk in that box.

Level
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 16
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Where did you read that the bda blows the dvda out of the water? I would have thought them very similar other than a .1 channel on the dvda.

Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 0tto View Post
    Jon can you do screenshots with spectral analysis of the waveform?
    Here is the 5.1 from the BluRay in Adobe with the Frequency Analysis Display:

DSOTM BD 51.jpg

Here is the 4.0 from the BluRay in Adobe with the Frequency Analysis Display:

DSOTM BD 40.jpg

Here is the 4.1 from the DVD-A in Adobe with the Frequency Analysis Display:

DSOTM DVDA 41.jpg

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star 0tto's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 340
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

thanx Jon.
    albeit freq. scale in screenshot limited to to 22KHz, from what i see, seems like stream of Parson's
    mix on BD is superior to stream on bootleg DVDA release.
    looks like during conversion analog to digital there wasn't filtering and signal was captured with
    all harmonics above 22KHz. that's realy nice.

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star winopener's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 484
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Frequency analysis display can't go up to 48?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast