HiRez Poll Pink Floyd - DARK SIDE OF THE MOON [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Pink Floyd - DARK SIDE OF THE MOON

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
The quad mix (at least as presented in the box) is definitely bass light. I used the DVD in a player with analogue outs which I can monitor in pairs of FL/FR, SL/SR, and C/Sub through my main front speakers. The quad mix is data encoded in four channels (the sub and centre indicators don't light up on the player) and there is no bass management switched on that I'm aware of. Monitoring both pairs there is surprisingly little bass there.

The quad mix (at least as presented in the box) is definitely bass light. I used the DVD in a player with analogue outs which I can monitor in pairs of FL/FR, SL/SR, and C/Sub through my main front speakers. The quad mix is data encoded in four channels (the sub and centre indicators don't light up on the player) and there is no bass management switched on that I'm aware of. Monitoring both pairs there is surprisingly little bass there.

Yep. It is a shame because I think the 4.0 mix makes better use of the rears than the 5.1.

Interestingly the 640 kbps versions (which my DVD player won't output in analogue) bring up the LFE indicator. No idea if there's anything there though. Both Dark Side and Wish You Were Here appear to have the same channel set up: 4.0 in 448 kbps, and 4.1 in 640 kbps for the quad mix.

640 kbps, meaning DTS? DTS usually triggers a .1 format indicator whether or not there is any actual dedicated LFE content.

So much confusion on this thread. As LuvMyQuad said, the AP that was originally distributed was 4.1 It appeared to some that the 'LFE' content had been created by *duplicating* the bass in the other channels (rather than *subtracting* bass from the other channels, then adding it to the .1 channel -- i.e., creating a .1 though 'bass management' during production). To correct this 'doubled bass' situation, some users went in and emptied out/deleted the .1 channel, reverting the AP mix to 'true' 4.0. (Of course, if you play that 4.0 version though a X.1 setup with bass management, it will redirect the low bass from the 4 channels, to your subwoofer)

640 kbps, meaning DTS?

Both streams (448 kbps and 640 kbps) are Dolby Digital, which is incredible in that I'm pretty sure I have heard some say on here that the 640 stream is not in spec with a lot of DVD players and receivers.
I think it would have been wiser to include a DTS 96/24 stream instead, but apparently James Guthrie hates the sound of DTS, but all of this is really a moot point anyway because the Blu-Ray sounds better than any other version that's out there to date. :)

Both streams (448 kbps and 640 kbps) are Dolby Digital, which is incredible in that I'm pretty sure I have heard some say on here that the 640 stream is not in spec with a lot of DVD players and receivers.

All true. Even in the Immersion boxes it says it's out of spec. I generally use the BD, but I can isolate channels really easily using the DVD player.

Both streams (448 kbps and 640 kbps) are Dolby Digital,

You're right of course, I should have written DD, not DTS.

... apparently James Guthrie hates the sound of DTS, but all of this is really a moot point anyway because the Blu-Ray sounds better than any other version that's out there to date.

James Guthrie has some silly beliefs. He's endorsed Shakti nonsense (Shakti Stones, Hallograph), for example.

A couple of questions about the Parsons mixes in the Immersion set...

First, which sounds better, the 4.0 mix on the Blu-ray, or the 4.1 mix on the DVD-A? If the BD 4.0 is lacking bass, is it true of the 4.1 as well?

Second, Is the 4.1 mix on the DVD-A cleaned up to remove the tape hiss that is present on the bootleg 4.1 mix?

First, which sounds better, the 4.0 mix on the Blu-ray, or the 4.1 mix on the DVD-A? If the BD 4.0 is lacking bass, is it true of the 4.1 as well?

Second, Is the 4.1 mix on the DVD-A cleaned up to remove the tape hiss that is present on the bootleg 4.1 mix?

They both sound very good. I enjoy both but mostly listen to the blu version.

The DVD in the Immersion box is DVD-V only, and the surround content (including the quad mix) are in Dolby only. I haven't listened to it, so I can't comment on the audio quality or the relative merits of predetermined bass management. I will say that while the bootleg DVD-A has a higher-than-desirable noise floor, it still sounds great, and I do believe the ".1" only doubles the bass content from the other four channels below a certain frequency. If the Dolby on the Immersion DVD-V is truly 4.1 as well, my guess is that a crossover was employed to create the subwoofer track.

The DVD in the Immersion box is DVD-V only, and the surround content (including the quad mix) are in Dolby only. I haven't listened to it, so I can't comment on the audio quality or the relative merits of predetermined bass management. I will say that while the bootleg DVD-A has a higher-than-desirable noise floor, it still sounds great, and I do believe the ".1" only doubles the bass content from the other four channels below a certain frequency. If the Dolby on the Immersion DVD-V is truly 4.1 as well, my guess is that a crossover was employed to create the subwoofer track.

Same here. No DVDA in my Dark Side blueray box. I thought the widely shared copy of the Q4 split out the subbass to the .1 to let them bump the level up a bit in the mains. I'd have to check/compare again and I'm not going to (sorry). You hear some tape hiss and a few dropouts on the Q4 transfer. The blueray comes from the studio master and has none of that. (There's some hiss from the analog master but none of the layer of hiss from the generational copy.) I haven't listened to the lossy DVDV either. I'm not interested in studying generation loss unless related to a restoration project so I never will. The quad program on the bluray is the real deal.

The quad mix doesn't have quite the deep subbass as the stereo mix in OTR. The quad mix is still the more 'authentic' reading of this album as it were and the more interesting mix of course but at the same time it was the first draft mix. While the stereo mix had rework/remixes put into it. You just know the deal would have been that the studio budget allowed remix time for the stereo mix but not for the surround. So the stereo mix has a level of polished perfection while the quad mix has a few blemishes that were never polished out.

I could have sworn I saw a post with all the details of the immersion set, and that there was a DVD-A. Guess I was mistaken.

Anyway, the reason I brought up the subject was that, like most others, I've had the 4.1 bootleg DVD-A for a number of years and was wondering if I should drop the coin on this set, solely to get a higher-fidelity version of the Parsons quad mix. From the comments I've read in this thread, I don't feel compelled to try it. I'm intrigued by the 4.0 "authentic" quad mix but not if it has less bass than the 4.1. Aside from the noise on the bootleg, I love the balance the way it is. I don't have an interest in any marbles, scarves, coasters, deck of cards, etc. so I think I'll spend my $150 somewhere else.

Bluray 4.0 has ample bass on my system. I think bass management must vary. It sounds great to me. FWIW, I searched for the DSotM Immersion box for quite a while and I think I scored it for a very reasonable price (just under $40, IIRC). Deals don't come along often, but occasionally).

If you have a 4.1 boot you're probably good. Though it is kind of a "Holy Grail" mix/album, IMO.

Well, for under $40 that could certainly change my mind. Maybe I'll keep an eye out for a deal like that. Thanks!

Back