HiRez Poll Pink Floyd - DARK SIDE OF THE MOON [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Pink Floyd - DARK SIDE OF THE MOON

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
I could have sworn I saw a post with all the details of the immersion set, and that there was a DVD-A. Guess I was mistaken.

Anyway, the reason I brought up the subject was that, like most others, I've had the 4.1 bootleg DVD-A for a number of years and was wondering if I should drop the coin on this set, solely to get a higher-fidelity version of the Parsons quad mix. From the comments I've read in this thread, I don't feel compelled to try it. I'm intrigued by the 4.0 "authentic" quad mix but not if it has less bass than the 4.1. Aside from the noise on the bootleg, I love the balance the way it is. I don't have an interest in any marbles, scarves, coasters, deck of cards, etc. so I think I'll spend my $150 somewhere else.

Of course, any mix that duplicates bass in the subwoofer channel will have 'more bass' .... but the 4.0 is hardly lacking in that department. A properly bass-managed surround setup redirects the 4.0 bass to the sub.

Bluray 4.0 has ample bass on my system. I think bass management must vary. It sounds great to me. FWIW, I searched for the DSotM Immersion box for quite a while and I think I scored it for a very reasonable price (just under $40, IIRC). Deals don't come along often, but occasionally).

If you have a 4.1 boot you're probably good. Though it is kind of a "Holy Grail" mix/album, IMO.

The dvd a is not a boot it's a conversion. very legal and acceptable around here.

I'm sure you are mistaken, the DVD-A is most definitely a bootleg.

I think the confusion is because whatever source they used, it was of far superior quality to anything that was publicly available - implicit was that it had been made from a first or generation master tape or safety copy. Thus it's a bootleg (snuck out of the studio) instead of a conversion (transfer from a consumer release like a quad LP or reel).

Either way, it's not a legal release in most of the world.

Thus it's a bootleg (snuck out of the studio) instead of a conversion (transfer from a consumer release like a quad LP or reel).

And neither is a "transfer," but for long OOP titles, the IP owners aren't likely to care. Unless, that is, they're rereleased.

I think the confusion is because whatever source they used, it was of far superior quality to anything that was publicly available - implicit was that it had been made from a first or generation master tape or safety copy. Thus it's a bootleg (snuck out of the studio) instead of a conversion (transfer from a consumer release like a quad LP or reel).

It's not a legal release anywhere in the world.

Yo! This thread is for the discussion of the IMMERSIONS Blu-Ray disc.

You all can discuss the DVD-A 'till the cows come home in a dedicated thread if you like. Remember that the DVD-A was born at a time when it appeared that the AP mix would never see a commercial release which is how it came to be. If you search through the bowels of QQ you can learn a lot about it's appearance and origin. Safe to say it was never a valid commercial release, but was something that was traded among "collectors".

No one should have every paid money to get a copy as it is assumed that it was never meant to generate any revenue for anyone.

Yo! This thread is for the discussion of the IMMERSIONS Blu-Ray disc.

You all can discuss the DVD-A 'till the cows come home in a dedicated thread if you like. Remember that the DVD-A was born at a time when it appeared that the AP mix would never see a commercial release which is how it came to be. If you search through the bowels of QQ you can learn a lot about it's appearance and origin. Safe to say it was never a valid commercial release, but was something that was traded among "collectors".

No one should have every paid money to get a copy as it is assumed that it was never meant to generate any revenue for anyone.

Haha - thank God...Jon to the rescue. :) (y)(y):banana:

Of course, any mix that duplicates bass in the subwoofer channel will have 'more bass' .... but the 4.0 is hardly lacking in that department. A properly bass-managed surround setup redirects the 4.0 bass to the sub.

My "bass management" is that I have my REL subwoofer connected to my amplifier with both low level (LFE) and high level (directly from the Front Left and Right channels) connections. This means that all the bass that is present in the recording actually reaches my subwoofer, independant from which channel it is coming from.

Having said that, I would still argue that the 4.0 mix is very bass shy compared to the 5.1 mix. I would say too base shy for the "rockers" like Time and Money.

My "bass management" is that I have my REL subwoofer connected to my amplifier with both low level (LFE) and high level (directly from the Front Left and Right channels) connections. This means that all the bass that is present in the recording actually reaches my subwoofer, independant from which channel it is coming from.

Which is how it's supposed to work, yes.

Having said that, I would still argue that the 4.0 mix is very bass shy compared to the 5.1 mix. I would say too base shy for the "rockers" like Time and Money.

Of course it's 'bass shy' *compared to a mix where the same bass had been doubled*. That will be true of any recording you could name.

Do you get what 'doubling' means? The bass that would normally be directed to the subwoofer from the other channels in bass-managed playback of 4.0 mix, has been literally encoded into the LFE content....without being lowered in the other channels. So if you bass manage the other channels of the 4.1 mix, the bass is output 'twice as much' from the subwoofer. And if you don't bass manage the 4.1 mix, you are outputting the same bass from the 'small' channels and the subwoofer.

If someone made a copy of DSOTM with the bass content from the mains DUPLICATED and ADDED to the Lfe content in that channel, that would be non-standard.

Speaker management/bass management means redirecting content from the various 5.1 channels into a different speaker array.

The most common example is getting a small speaker array where the mains do not reproduce bass content. In this example, the bass content from the 5 mains (not just the front pair) is removed from the 5 mains and added to the Lfe channel (along with the Lfe content from the 5.1 source).

The next common example is using a quad array. Here you add the center channel content and any Lfe content panned to the center of the front pair.

A 5.0 array would need the Lfe content added to the front pair.

And so on.

If you are duplicating any content between channels, you are greatly altering the recording and way out in left field compared to how the mix was intended to sound. Likewise if you omit content.

An example of omitting content would be the guy who hears some misconception that speaker management is a "bad thing". And then stubbornly doesn't use it with a non 1:1 speaker array that needs it. (Like the common small top speaker array that needs all the bass content redirected to the Lfe. In this example you would be missing all the bass content from the mains. I've even heard such people try to argue that a 5.1 recording only contains bass in the Lfe just because this smaller efficient speaker array is the only 5.1 system they've ever seen before.)

5.1 is 5 FULL range channels with an ADDITIONAL bass only channel for bass headroom.
If anyone doesn't agree that it should be used this way, that's fine. Just realize that it's the format regardless and any 5.1 music you buy will have the channels used this way. If you have other than 5 full range speakers and an additional sub, it's up to you to speaker manage your system.

How do I vote for this?

AP's mix is the NUMBER ONE mix of all time- and yet this other guy's mix is a waste of plastic...

a FIVE????

All this talk about dark side prompted me to pull out my versions. First listened to Sacd. Always a treat. Now listening to quad from immersion set. I don't have the immersion set but was able to pick up the DVD's cheap cheap from a fella on kijijiji I think. Anyway, I have a question, what is better to listen to the 448 or the 640 bits per second version. Or does it even matter?

Back