HiRez Poll Pink Floyd - DARK SIDE OF THE MOON [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Pink Floyd - DARK SIDE OF THE MOON

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
You guys are making my mouth water....
Hope I can get a job soon (after the hernial disc removal next friday-wish me luck!! I am now recovering from varicicele surgery this last wednesday),
so I can get this , the WYWH
AND
a BluRay player...I think THIS has convinced me to get one..and I have held out so far....

Looks great from here!

That's what I found lacking with many 5.1 mixes at first listen, like the engineer had an embarrassment to put ANY sound behind one in the rear speakers like what Quadraphonic does.
In this case also the artist (David Gilmour) had Guthrie "water down" the surround mix. He probably didn't want to depart too much from the stereo mix. I'm curious what he was allowed to do with WYWH, often artists and/or surround mixers need to be involved in a couple of mixes before they can handle the more discrete mixes but still respect the original.

Very little info on what's actually on that blu-ray.....yes, Guthrie mix and Parson mix, but which format? dolby, dts-hd, pcm 5.1????...anyone?

Very little info on what's actually on that blu-ray.....yes, Guthrie mix and Parson mix, but which format? dolby, dts-hd, pcm 5.1????...anyone?

The complete album audio is availalbe as 24/96 digital, non encoded RAW PCM streams as shown below in the AudioMuxer screen cap.

There is the 5.1 24/96 Mix, the 2.0 Stereo 24/96 track, and the 4.0 (noted as 2/2) in 24/96 PCM audio.

The 4.0 Quadraphonic "Alan Parson's Mix" does not have a derived LFE or C channel. It's straight quad, as originally released on the UK Q8.

There are not DTS or DD encoded at all.

:)

DSOTM%20BluRay%20Rip.jpg

Last edited:

2.0, 4.0, 5.1 all in LPCM.

thanks! looks tempting!...but I don't think I wanna shell out all this cash. Is the blu-ray sold alone?

thanks! looks tempting!...but I don't think I wanna shell out all this cash. Is the blu-ray sold alone?

If it was, it would had been the fastest bluray sold-out in history.

On topic, I received the Immersion set on Saturday and I am leisurely taking in all of the great music and videos with immense pleasure.

Back to topic..
I ordered my set and it is in transit...but I have heard the whole set already ...as the net being what it is, in the usual areas you can hear and obtain just about anything these days (in short the whole box has been thrown on the noid)....and I have to say it is wonderful.....and about time too..

Last edited:
This one will go to the top of the QQ charts with a bullet. The only possible complaint I see is the inability to buy the blu-ray separately from the rest of the box. 10 easy.

Wonder if, not that also the 4.0 mix has a official digital release, some car maker (Honda?) could license from EMI the 2.0, 4.0 and 5.1 mix for a "car only" dvd-a.

I'm a little surprised not to see complaints that they took the time to remix the Live in Brighton 1972 set from the multis but did not do either a high res stereo or 5.1 mix.

To me this is disappointing.

Last edited:
I spent all evening yesterday and half the night listening to the two surround mixes. I also ran the SACD and the bootleg DVD-A in parallel with the BD a couple of times. I can only conclude that this is great stuff. Great, great stuff. Before now I have been critical to this very expensive way of releasing a blu-ray. But I'll most likely end up getting all the scheduled boxes. Lord, please make me rich in case they continue with more albums next year...

I will have to join in with a '10' vote.

I have spent $100+ on many things, old Q8's and Q4's among them, and also expensive box sets like Layla, etc, but this one I have to say is worth the cost paid ($109). The BluRay disc is more than worthy, and the extra discs are interesting and well done.

The scarf, the marbles, well, I could do without all of that stuff, but the music itself is what makes this box. Despite the fact that I've bought this damn album in so many formats it would pain me to list them all, this is one time when I'm glad I bought it again.

Heck, I have bid $300+ on the UK Q8 multiple times and always got outbid. Now I'm glad I waited. Heck, I saved $200 and there's no break in "Money"! :)

Heck, I have bid $300+ on the UK Q8 multiple times and always got outbid. Now I'm glad I waited. Heck, I saved $200 and there's no break in "Money"! :)

Got the point totally right!
And in any case, you can always record a Q8 with the correct "money breaker". :)

This doesn't have anything to do with the Blu-Ray (which is fantastic btw!), but I didn't really know where else to post this. Anyone else try running the live cd through PLII? Turns out it decodes very nicely. There are some great moments where effects move front to back. Plus, PLII does a good job of making you feel as if you were in the audience. Worth a shot if you haven't tried it.
Ryan

I'm really pleased with the box as well. Highly recommended. The BD quad especially is a dream come true and there is not as much redundancy as I feared. Even all the
"nearmono" streams are well done and a pleasure to listen to. ...and what more can be said about the marbles... and scarf.....and coasters....

Back