HiRez Poll Pink Floyd - DARK SIDE OF THE MOON [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Pink Floyd - DARK SIDE OF THE MOON

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
anybody tried to decode the live concert at wembley 74 into Quad.
The Nov 16 1974 concert was a BBC transmission although when they did it they mixed out the naughty words at the start

The new version is not only a radically different mix, it's a composite of two different nights. Despite that, it manages to join the two halves of the show together much more smoothly than the best of the bootlegs.

The original BBC mix is interesting, but pretty odd. Sounds like a very dry feed from the stage mics with very little audience presence.

So, can anyone truly tell the difference between the SACD and the BDA of the Guthrie 5.1 mix? If so I would like to know how it (I would assume the BDA) sounds better. I think it is possible, by the way, so I really am curious.

Last edited:
Oh, so this is why new Blu-ray movies don't come with LPCM anymore, and have switched to dts HD MA. The studios must not like the idea of these boxes being used.

What would happen if I plugged my Sony ES5400 SACD player HDMI into this. Would it give me surround sound without needing a compatible receiver? That might be interesting.

The main reason a lot of discs have LPCM 5.1 is that believe it or not, LPCM is the only mandatory lossless surround format on BluRay.
DTS-HD MAS and Dolby True HD are mandatory only for their core audio streams - AC3 in the case of "True HD" and DTS Core Audio in the case of "DTS-HD MAS".
With True HD, support for the MLP stream is strictly optional. With DTS-HD MAS, support for both the lossless and also DTS-ES/DTS-9624 & DTS-HD HR are optional.

10. This is excellent. I had been feeling stupid for paying so much for crap like a scarf and marbles, but I finally got around to playing the Blu-ray. This is exactly how it should be done!!!

I'm considering putting the marbles up for auction on ebay to see if any rabid Floyd fans will bite. One at a time....the scarf is my retirement fund...

Just a heads up for anyone desiring the surround mix only but refusing to part with $100 for the Immersion box; I'm starting to see individual discs popping up on ebay already. 2 DVd's and the blu-ray by a few different sellers so far. All around $10 to start. Keep trolling and you might get lucky.

It's and 11 for me :smokin... but it gets a point off for being a box set so it's a 10 :eek:.

Still all votes are "10"s - wow!

Does no-one dare to vote lower?

It's and 11 for me :smokin... but it gets a point off for being a box set so it's a 10 :eek:.

Still all votes are "10"s - wow!

Does no-one dare to vote lower?

Too bad this is not eligible for the HiRez Poll (due to it being on Blu-ray). Otherwise it would shoot to the top.

Quad mix is spectacular. My receiver automatically is sending the sub the lowest bass, but still, a great mix. Extras are great. How can this get anything less than a 10?

It has to be a "10" in all fairness, given that I am voting on the Blu-Ray here alone.
If it were on the overall content versus cost and including the laughable DVD, it would be a definite 7.

The Blu-Ray is superb though.
The one little thing I am not at all certain about is the remastering that has been done to the Quad mix. Play it back against the DVDA version, and despite the higher sample rate on the BD the DVDA has more dynamic range than the Blu-Ray does. The BD is mastered to modern style, adding a lot of punch to the low end that is not on the DVDA but it definitely loses out in detail.

5.1 stream is a typical DSD format with limitation to 22KHz but filled up with noise above 22KHz. so they used same master as for SACD just converted it to PCM.

Yep, confirmed.

http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/interview/interview-pink-floyd-engineer-andy-jackson-on-immersion-box-sets/
Interview: Pink Floyd engineer Andy ackson on Immersion box sets

SDE: In your opinion is the hi-res Blu-ray stereo / 5.1 2011 remaster of The Dark Side of the Moon now the definitive audiophile version of the album? Is there any reason to hold on to the 2003 SACD?

AJ: Hi-def PCM & DSD sound different, you pays your money you takes your choice on that, I like DSD, very analogue sounding. I believe that the BD is not new mastering, it is derived from the same source as the SACD [this is the case].

So, can anyone truly tell the difference between the SACD and the BDA of the Guthrie 5.1 mix? If so I would like to know how it (I would assume the BDA) sounds better. I think it is possible, by the way, so I really am curious.

We now know the Guthrie 5.1 mix on the BDA was from the same source as the SACD so any differences are not due to that.

I can only comment on the Blu-ray disc that I traded for. The 5.1 mix on the SACD seems a little harsh compared to the BR. The Quad sounded good, but I like the Parsons bootleg much better. I gave it a 10 instead of a 9 because I did not have to purchase any marbles and such.

I will have to join in with a '10' vote.

I have spent $100+ on many things, old Q8's and Q4's among them, and also expensive box sets like Layla, etc, but this one I have to say is worth the cost paid ($109). The BluRay disc is more than worthy, and the extra discs are interesting and well done.

The scarf, the marbles, well, I could do without all of that stuff, but the music itself is what makes this box. Despite the fact that I've bought this damn album in so many formats it would pain me to list them all, this is one time when I'm glad I bought it again.

Heck, I have bid $300+ on the UK Q8 multiple times and always got outbid. Now I'm glad I waited. Heck, I saved $200 and there's no break in "Money"! :)

jonurban: between the bd version and the "obsolete production" version is the bd all that better? It must be better than the sacd. (I hope -just ordered it)

just sent in my order. I probably will be breaking it up, and sell off all the BS, not into collectables, I'm too old.

man why in hell do they pack this stuff like this? 2 discs were out of the holder and of course damaged. After all that waiting and now I gotta send it back for what to only get another damaged set? suks

I have the sacd I have the obsolete Prod. version. My opinion: I have never heard this album like this before. I realize it's the same production as the sacd, but why am I all of a sudden hearing stuff I've not heard before? I have a decent system, not audiophile quality but it has always suited me, with 5.1 analog inputs and my oppo 93, did I just listen to the best version ever? I think so. holy shit !!!!!
It's the best money I ever spent

Back