HiRez Poll Pink Floyd - DARK SIDE OF THE MOON [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Pink Floyd - DARK SIDE OF THE MOON

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
Hmmm indeed..! :yikes
Test the Brasso out first on a scratchy old disc you don't give a shit about maybe? :D

This is good thinking. People online are also claiming peanut butter and toothpaste work.
So far, I'm on the 2nd CD and still no skips. If all the discs work fine, I'll leave any abrasives out of it and just buff lightly with my breath and a soft cloth.

Brasso scratches the discs to bits! They will not look beautiful, but it may remove some of the heavier scratch burrs in the process. I've had some success, but I would advise taking them to a used games/DVD store and asking them to give them a skim. The pro-machines can do quite a nice job. A place near me told me to allow 10 mins per disc, so don't go in thinking you'll be out in a couple of minutes!

In many parts of the Quad community the Alan Parsons Quad mix is considered the definitive DSOTM mix. Me included. If the SACD/BRD mix seems like a 10 to you, you really need to hear the Quad mix.

I have listened to both the 4.0 (thought this was the 1973 AP Quad mix? ) and the 5.1 on the Blu Ray - love them, and i do think the SACD mix is a 10'r too.

Finding it hard to choose wich one is best - the 5.1 brings the best dynamics on my setup - the 4.0 is the best surround mix.

I have listened to both the 4.0 (thought this was the 1973 AP Quad mix? ) and the 5.1 on the Blu Ray - love them, and i do think the SACD mix is a 10'r too.

Finding it hard to choose wich one is best - the 5.1 brings the best dynamics on my setup - the 4.0 is the best surround mix.

I think that's actually a great way of describing the differences between the two surround mixes. The Quad mix is better from a discrete surround placement standpoint, but Guthrie's 5.1 mix is better from a mix processing perspective (the use of EQ, reverb, dynamic tools, etc.) to create a solid mix even if it's not the most adventurous from a discrete standpoint.

So I get to hear this soon... a chance to stir the waters, maybe!

Both the Guthrie mix and the Parsons mix have their nuances, but I find the original Parsons 4.0 mix refreshing.

Each time I play the 4.0 there is something new I have not heard before making it still a fun album after over 40 years from release.

Both the Guthrie mix and the Parsons mix have their nuances, but I find the original Parsons 4.0 mix refreshing.

Each time I play the 4.0 there is something new I have not heard before making it still a fun album after over 40 years from release.

Slap my hand for being off topic but...hey filper been a long time; how's that home theater coming?

Hello my old friend, thanks for remembering. It has been a long time.

I have altered a few things, perhaps too many times, but it is sounding awesome. I finally found the perfect treatment for the ceiling - rough sawed pine.

There is a stack of drywall and a pile of 2x4's on the floor waiting patiently.

I have been fortunate to have a new GrandDaughter as a distraction.

I've only dipped into the box a bit, and so far I have been more impressed with the bonus material than the surround mixes. Only tried those a bit though, so hopefully there's some exciting moments in there ahead of me.

I was expecting Clare Torry's vocals to be mixed to the rears - shame that didn't happen on either mix.

I'm finding the quad mix a tad bass light - has anybody else felt that? Also some of the vocals on the Guthrie mix sounded like they had that strange wash on the vocals like that on some data compressed files. Out of the two mixes I prefer the Parsons quad by some distance.

Back