Steve Hackett back catalog in surround

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Too bad though he either didn't have any say or didn't care how the DVDs were done for this set.
Though I guess a lot of it comes down to who is managing the project. This set had a different person managing it than other recent Universal releases that were actually released as DVD-A/V discs, so basically we just need the right person managing all surround related projects from this point forward in order to really get things as they should be!

So true.

Ryan what do you think of Spectral Mornings and Please Don't Touch.
I am having my second listen on these two and love the mixes, Steven Wilson has done a great job.
To bad the other two albums are upmix only, can't blame that on current people as whoever did not store the original tapes is to blame for that.
As upmix is best we can get still enjoying them but mind does definitely wonder what if......
Well back to listening Spectral Mornings up next

So true.

Ryan what do you think of Spectral Mornings and Please Don't Touch.
I am having my second listen on these two and love the mixes, Steven Wilson has done a great job.
To bad the other two albums are upmix only, can't blame that on current people as whoever did not store the original tapes is to blame for that.
As upmix is best we can get still enjoying them but mind does definitely wonder what if......
Well back to listening Spectral Mornings up next

I think the two discrete surround mixes are very good, but they don't shine as brightly as other recent remixes of Steven Wilson's like "Oranges & Lemons" and "Fragile". I even prefer the mixes on "Minstrel in the Gallery" and "Octopus" to the Hackett mixes. I think it probably has something to do with the material itself along with only being able to hear it in a non-lossless way, but I'll have a lot more to say about those discs once proper polls for them are posted. :)

When I play a disc in the car, no track data shows up like title, album, artist name.

Does everyone have no track data on the discs?

Well, this didn't take long…
For those of you waiting on individual editions of Steve Hackett's albums with surround sound, you can have them by the end of May:

"Please Don't Touch": http://www.amazon.co.uk/Please-Dont-Touch-Steve-Hackett/dp/B01B5GM1T0/
"Spectral Mornings": http://www.amazon.co.uk/Spectral-Mornings-Steve-Hackett/dp/B01B5GM1YU/
"Defector": http://www.amazon.co.uk/Defector-Steve-Hackett/dp/B01B5GM1TA/

No preorder yet for "Voyage of the Acolyte", but if they are actually going to sell "Defector" (with that absolutely terrible upmix) as a deluxe edition then I bet they will definitely do the same for Acolyte, so stay tuned! :)

For those of you waiting on individual editions of Steve Hackett's albums with surround sound, you can have them by the end of May:

"Please Don't Touch": http://www.amazon.co.uk/Please-Dont-Touch-Steve-Hackett/dp/B01B5GM1T0/
"Spectral Mornings": http://www.amazon.co.uk/Spectral-Mornings-Steve-Hackett/dp/B01B5GM1YU/

No preorder yet for "Voyage of the Acolyte", but if they are actually going to sell "Defector" (with that absolutely terrible upmix) as a deluxe edition then I bet they will definitely do the same for Acolyte, so stay tuned! :)

Just after I got the Premonitions box too!! Presumably DVDV and not DVDA.

Just after I got the Premonitions box too!! Presumably DVDV and not DVDA.

Yes, that's definitely the presumption, though I would be both happy and angry if they ended up getting Neil Wilkes to (properly) reauthor these DVDs as DVD-A/V discs, happy because they will have finally gotten the quality aspect right, but angry because I have already spent over $100 for an inferior box (IMHO)

This is a good opportunity though for those on here who only want the Steven Wilson remixes and don't want to screw around with everything else (i.e. the upmixes, the live albums, etc.)

Good Lord! Thanks Ryan, that is amazing!
I'll be in for these!
(I realise if they are like £15-£20 each it'll be pushing it getting all 4 I might have been just as well to have got the box set in the first instance.. but as you say the upmix isn't the best so I may just get the Spectral Mornings and Please Don't Touch sets..)

Good Lord! Thanks Ryan, that is amazing!
I'll be in for these!
(I realise if they are like £15-£20 each it'll be pushing it getting all 4 I might have been just as well to have got the box set in the first instance.. but as you say the upmix isn't the best so I may just get the Spectral Mornings and Please Don't Touch sets..)

My opinion is if you just want the discrete remixes, get those deluxe editions that are forthcoming. If you want the upmixes too, you may as well take the full bite and get the box. (Of course everything changes if these upcoming DVDs are actually DVD-A/V discs, but I'm not expecting them to be.)

At least I hope that the CD's will be better represented over the way they poorly crammed album after album on the Boxset. So glad I didn't buy it.

Sent from my HTC_0PJA10 using Tapatalk

My opinion is if you just want the discrete remixes, get those deluxe editions that are forthcoming. If you want the upmixes too, you may as well take the full bite and get the box. (Of course everything changes if these upcoming DVDs are actually DVD-A/V discs, but I'm not expecting them to be.)

The 4 sets on Amazon UK are now only £14.83 each (which I think was lower than when I checked earlier), the same price for the discretes as for the upmixes. That's a good price for the 2 excellent discrete sets, and possibly a bit expensive for the upmixes. I do like these upmixes though, which are, after all, done from the master tapes by Steven Wilson. So that's just under £60 for the 4 sets combined. The Premonitions box is a very nice set though.

Best part: "Includes FREE MP3 version of this album." :mad:@:

Seriously, its a nice surprise to get single editions and not to be forced to buy an expensive box set. I have splurged on things in the past(A $5,000.00 package trip to Saltillo, Mexico to hear Don Rickles give a weekend self help seminar...) so we all break the bank at one time or another, but I just didn't wanna pay all that $$$ for this Hackett Box, especially since the CDs are cheaply inserted & I just coughed up the dough to buy the expensive Tull - Aqualung BluRay /LP box...

So I will be ordering SM & PDT, stat. (y)

Hard to make sence of these releases in general though, some get no releases(Elton John remaining 5.1) and some are in limbo(Yes-Tales or Roxy Music), yet Steve Hacket(who has a comparatively much smaller draw) gets a box AND individual releases. :confused:

Where's YES - Tales???:smokin

Hard to make sence of these releases in general though, some get no releases(Elton John remaining 5.1) and some are in limbo(Yes-Tales or Roxy Music), yet Steve Hacket(who has a comparatively much smaller draw) gets a box AND individual releases. :confused:

Where's YES - Tales???:smokin

You're absolutely right in that it is hard to make sense of surround releases in general, but I think I can shed some light on some of the specific examples you mentioned.
Concerning Elton John's unreleased surround mixes, they were finished around the time of the commercial downfall of the SACD format for popular music, and even though there's been a perfectly suitable alternative for high-res surround that's come along since then (Blu-Ray) Elton himself has not shown enough interest to care about getting them released. That could certainly change at some point though.
When it comes to "Roxy Music", the latest I heard through the grapevine was that the delay is due in part to Bryan Ferry's dissatisfaction with some of the artwork and designs, so they may be looking to redo some of it before they finally release the new edition.
Finally, we know now that the holdup on "Tales" appears to have more to do with the recording licensor than it does with the record licensee (Panegyric) and the artist, both of whom still seem willing to want to release it at some point.

None of these issues plague Steve Hackett's catalogue. You have a willing artist and a champion for his music inside of the major label (Mark Powell) who has been able to revitalize and reissue his recordings for the fans to enjoy, and I still feel confident that the same could definitely happen this year for both "Tales from Topographic Oceans" and "Roxy Music". (though the same cannot be said for Elton's unreleased 5.1 mixes. I've already thrown in the towel when it comes to those.)

For those of you waiting on individual editions of Steve Hackett's albums with surround sound, you can have them by the end of May

I'm glad to see this. I probably would have waited had I not gotten a good price on the box set. The SW mixes are terrific if perhaps lacking the big sonic 'wow' upgrade found in some of his other work. I don't feel anything else in the box set to be essential.

I wish SW would have mixed Hackett plays Genesis. I love some of Steve's solo work but he keeps the guitar playing really tame for the most part. Live is where he does his best work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-sJaNgTxRM

This is why Tony Banks is jealous of Mr Hackett. The rest of Genesis were probably intimidated by Steve. He is a genius musician, none of them are. The rest are nowhere near his level of excellence, although Collins is very good.

You're absolutely right in that it is hard to make sense of surround releases in general, but I think I can shed some light on some of the specific examples you mentioned.
Concerning Elton John's unreleased surround mixes, they were finished around the time of the commercial downfall of the SACD format for popular music, and even though there's been a perfectly suitable alternative for high-res surround that's come along since then (Blu-Ray) Elton himself has not shown enough interest to care about getting them released. That could certainly change at some point though.
When it comes to "Roxy Music", the latest I heard through the grapevine was that the delay is due in part to Bryan Ferry's dissatisfaction with some of the artwork and designs, so they may be looking to redo some of it before they finally release the new edition.
Finally, we know now that the holdup on "Tales" appears to have more to do with the recording licensor than it does with the record licensee (Panegyric) and the artist, both of whom still seem willing to want to release it at some point.

None of these issues plague Steve Hackett's catalogue. You have a willing artist and a champion for his music inside of the major label (Mark Powell) who has been able to revitalize and reissue his recordings for the fans to enjoy, and I still feel confident that the same could definitely happen this year for both "Tales from Topographic Oceans" and "Roxy Music". (though the same cannot be said for Elton's unreleased 5.1 mixes. I've already thrown in the towel when it comes to those.)

I'm not at liberty to say anyway but if I told you the truth on the EJs you'd never believe me... when I found out it was just another knife to the stomach of the whole "sad sad situation".. "getting more absurd "... really its a disaster for us :(

I'm not at liberty to say anyway but if I told you the truth on the EJs you'd never believe me... when I found out it was just another knife to the stomach of the whole "sad sad situation".. "getting more absurd "... really its a disaster for us :(

Trust me, in this crazy world of surround releases, there is no story that is too outlandish. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-sJaNgTxRM

This is why Tony Banks is jealous of Mr Hackett. The rest of Genesis were probably intimidated by Steve. He is a genius musician, none of them are. The rest are nowhere near his level of excellence, although Collins is very good.

Thank you for the video, Good Sir Keenly! Time well spent.

Although you seriously underestimate Mr. Tony Banks. He is every bit a genius.

I chose to perform the piano intro to Firth of Fifth for a college piano class. Having learned Emerson's Tarkus - Eruption, I thought it would be a cake-walk. Wrong It took me a month to get right(two hours a day practice). That single two minute piece is all you need to know about Tony Banks. The man is a piano master.

Back