Steve Hackett back catalog in surround

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Per HMV Japan "the Charisma Recordings". My Japanese is non existent, so more than that I know not!

http://www.hmv.co.jp/artist_Steve-H..._Premonitions-The-Charisma-Recordings_6456783

That would mean the box should cover these albums (and more!):
"Voyage of the Acolyte" (1975)
"Please Don't Touch" (1978)
"Spectral Mornings" (1979)
"Defector" (1980)
"Cured" (1981)
"Highly Strung" (1983)

Now we know via Steven Wilson's Facebook page that "Spectral Mornings" has definitely been remixed in surround and stereo, but he said there's at least one other Charisma that was also remixed.
Guess we'll have to wait for further information on this set!

"Defector" (1980)
"Cured" (1981)
"Highly Strung" (1983)

Now we know via Steven Wilson's Facebook page that "Spectral Mornings" has definitely been remixed in surround and stereo, but he said there's at least one other Charisma that was also remixed.

Agreed, because that's not 14 discs is it! Could be hopeful............ and expensive!!

"Defector" (1980)
"Cured" (1981)
"Highly Strung" (1983)

I hope they don't do a Rush thing like the Sector boxes and make you rebuy all the albums in a boxset just to get the one surround album included.
With Rush I finally caved in and bought the Sector boxes when the price was a bit better as I did really want the surround's included and now years later they release them individually as Bluray's.
Time will tell what this release is all about.

I hope they don't do a Rush thing like the Sector boxes and make you rebuy all the albums in a boxset just to get the one surround album included.
With Rush I finally caved in and bought the Sector boxes when the price was a bit better as I did really want the surround's included and now years later they release them individually as Bluray's.
Time will tell what this release is all about.

Based on recent releases from Universal, I'm guessing the big box set will contain DVD-As but that there will also be stand-alone HFPA Blu-Ray releases.
The Sector releases from RUSH were a unique situation in that they didn't have a standard for releasing Blu-Ray only discs at that point, plus they probably felt that those three albums did not merit deluxe editions releases like "Moving Pictures" and "2112".

I hope the era of big box set exclusives are over just as much as the next guy!

It's Official! From Steven Wilson's Remixes page:

Universal Music Group have announced a 14 disc Steve Hackett box set for October release called Premonitions, that will cover his time with Charisma Records between 1975-83, including the first 4 albums in newly created 5.1 surround sound versions.
Unfortunately I was only able to remix 2 of these into discrete surround since the multitrack tapes for the other 2 albums could not be located, so instead I created surround sound upmixes from the stereo masters using Penteo Surround software (which nevertheless came out sounding very immersive and worthwhile). All of the remixing was supervised and approved by Steve.
More news and confirmation of contents soon I hope.

https://www.facebook.com/swremixes/posts/1651365131762292

I've now seen the Premonitions set on sale online for £83.99, with a better description:

STEVE HACKETT: PREMONITIONS-CHARISMA RECORDINGS: 1975-1983 (10CD+4DVD Box/85 Previously Unreleased Mixes)

It features Remastered Albums, Rare B-sides & Mixes, plus a wealth of Previously Unavailable Recordings. In addition there are 5.1 Mixes from the original multi-track tapes of: 'Please Don't Touch' and 'Spectral Mornings' (two of Steve's most beloved albums) and 5.1 up-mixes derived from the original stereo masters (the original multi-tracks were unavailable) of 'Voyage Of The Acolyte' and 'Defector', all done by Steven Wilson.

The discs are housed in Two Die-Cut, Gatefold Disc Holders (one of six-pages, one of eight pages) within a Rigid 242mm Square Slipcase and alongside a 64-Page Book featuring Rare Photos and a new essay by compiler Mark Powell - produced from new interviews with Steve Hackett - and a note by the artist himself.

So, that's: 14 Discs in all (10 CD's & 4 DVD's) and the Total Number of Tracks on the set is 153, of which, 85 are Previously Unreleased (49 x Stereo and 36 x 5.1 Surround Mixes), over 50% of the box!

The Artwork is TBC.

Track List - Disc 1 [CD]:
01. Ace Of Wands
02. Hands Of The Priestess - Part One
03. Tower Struck Down
04. Hands Of The Priestess - Part Two
05. The Hermit
06. Star Of Sirius
07. Lovers
08. Shadow Of The Heirophant [extended version]
09. Narnia
10. Carry On Up The Vicarage
11. Racing In A
12. Kim
13. How Can I?
14. Seven Of Cups * Previously Unreleased Track *

Track List - Disc 2 [CD]:
01. Hoping Love Will Last
02. Land Of A Thousand Autumns
03. Please Don't Touch
04. Voice Of Necam
05. Icarus Ascending
06. Every Day
07. Virgin And The Gypsy
08. Red Flower Of Tachai Blooms Everywhere
09. Clocks - Angel Of Mons
10. Ballad Of The Decomposing Man
11. Lost Time In Cordoba
12. Tigermoth
13. Spectral Mornings
14. Steppes
15. Time To Get Out
16. Slogans
17. Leaving
18. Two Vamps As Guests

Track List - Disc 3 [CD]:
01. Jacuzzi
02. Hammer In The Sand
03. Toast
04. Show
05. Sentimental Institution
06. Hercules Unchained
07. Hope I Don't Wake
08. Picture Postcard
09. Can't Let Go
10. Air Conditioned Nightmare
11. Funny Feeling
12. Cradle Of Swans
13. Overnight Sleeper
14. Turn Back Time
15. Tales Of The Riverbank
16. Second Chance

Track List - Disc 4 [CD]:
01. Camino Royale
02. Cell 151
03. Always Somewhere Else
04. Walk Through Walls
05. Give It Away
06. Weightless
07. Group Therapy
08. India Rubber Man
09. Hackett To Pieces
10. Guitar Boogie
11. Time Lapse At Milton Keynes
12. Walking Through Walls [12" single version]
13. Cell 151
14. Walking Through Walls
15. Hackett To Pieces
16. Please Don't Touch

Track List - Disc 5 [CD]:
01. Please Don't Touch
02. Tigermoth
03. Every Day
04. Narnia
05. Red Flower Of Tachai Blooms Everywhere
06. Ace Of Wands
07. Carry On Up The Vicarage
08. Acoustic Medley: Etude In A Minor / Blood On The Rooftops / Horizons / Kim

Track List - Disc 6 [CD]:
01. Optigan / Tower Struck Down
02. Spectral Mornings
03. Star Of Sirius
04. Shadow Of The Heirophant
05. Clocks
06. I Know What I Like {In Your Wardrobe}
07. Racing In A

Track List - Disc 7 [CD]:
01. Please Don't Touch
02. Tigermoth
03. Every Day
04. Ace Of Wands
05. Sentimental Institution
06. Red Flower Of Tachai Blooms Everywhere
07. Spectral Mornings
08. Clocks
09. Acoustic Medley: Etude In A Minor / Blood On The Rooftops / Horizons / Kim

Track List - Disc 8 [CD]:
01. Air Conditioned Nightmare
02. Every Day
03. Ace Of Wands
04. Funny Feeling
05. Steppes
06. Over Night Sleeper
07. Slogans
08. Tower Struck Down
09. Spectral Mornings
10. Show
11. Clocks

Track List - Disc 9 [CD - 'Please Don't Touch' - New Stereo mix by Steven Wilson]:
01. Narnia
02. Carry On Up The Vicarage
03. Racing In A
04. Kim
05. How Can I?
06. Hoping Love Will Last
07. Land Of A Thousand Autumns
08. Please Don't Touch
09. Voice Of Necam
10. Icarus Ascending

Track List - Disc 10 [CD - 'Spectral Mornings' - New Stereo mix by Steven Wilson]:
01. Every Day
02. The Virgin And The Gypsy
03. Red Flower Of Tachai Blooms Everywhere
04. Clocks - Angel Of Mons
05. Ballad Of The Decomposing Man
06. Lost Time In Cordoba
07. Tigermoth
08. Spectral Mornings

Track List - Disc 11 [DVD - 'Please Don't Touch' - New 5.1 Surround Sound mix by Steven Wilson]:
01. Narnia
02. Carry On Up The Vicarage
03. Racing In A
04. Kim
05. How Can I?
06. Hoping Love Will Last
07. Land Of A Thousand Autumns
08. Please Don't Touch
09. Voice Of Necam
10. Icarus Ascending
11. How Can I? [1977 Charisma Promotional Film] * Bonus Video Track *

Track List - Disc 12 [DVD - 'Spectral Mornings' - New 5.1 Surround Sound mix by Steven Wilson]:
01. Every Day
02. Virgin And The Gypsy
03. Red Flower Of Tachai Blooms Everywhere
04. Clocks - Angel Of Mons
05. Ballad Of The Decomposing Man
06. Lost Time In Cordoba
07. Tigermoth
08. Spectral Mornings
09. Clocks [1979 Charisma Promotional Film] * Bonus Video Track *

Track List - Disc 13 [DVD - 'Voyage Of The Acolyte' - New 5.1 mix by Steven Wilson]:
01. Ace Of Wands
02. Hands Of The Priestess - Part One
03. Tower Struck Down
04. Hands Of The Priestess - Part Two
05. Hermit
06. Star Of Sirius
07. Lovers
08. Shadow Of The Hierophant [extended version]

Track List - Disc 14 [DVD - 'Defector' - New 5.1 mix by Steven Wilson]:
01. Steppes
02. Time To Get Out
03. Slogans
04. Leaving
05. Two Vamps As Guests
06. Jacuzzi
07. Hammer In The Sand
08. Toast
09. Show
10. Sentimental Institution

Here's the latest message from Steve [Hackett]:

"I'm excited that Universal are putting together a box set... 'Premonitions: The Charisma Years 1975 - 1983'. It will include my first six albums, four of which have been redone in surround sound by Steven Wilson. It will be 14 discs, also including live recordings: the whole Oxford show over two CDs, 1981 Reading and 1979 Drury Lane, as well as a 1983 BBC session. Lots of liner notes and photos will also be in the package... I'll update with more info soon!
Warmest wishes to all,
Steve"

I just sent another question into SH and based on his reply guess the boxset is only way to get these surrounds initially:

Steve,

I was very excited to see that you in deed have some of your early albums mixed in 5.1 in surround by Steven Wilson, THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU.
Will there only be a chance to get these in the expensive boxset or will there also be an opportunity to buy the 5.1’s in a separate cd\dvd packages?
I sure hope so as all these expensive boxsets are going to send me to the poor house.

peter

SH replied:

Dear Peter,
I believe they will be just part of the box set, but I don't know about down the line.
I'm glad you enjoy the music and Steven has done great surround versions.
Best,
Steve

Sent from my iPad

Based on Steve's post, looks like Discs 5 & 6 are the entire Oxford show, Disc 7 is Drury Lane from 1979, and Disc 8 is Reading from 1981.

I just sent another question into SH and based on his reply guess the boxset is only way to get these surrounds initially:

Steve,

I was very excited to see that you in deed have some of your early albums mixed in 5.1 in surround by Steven Wilson, THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU.
Will there only be a chance to get these in the expensive boxset or will there also be an opportunity to buy the 5.1’s in a separate cd\dvd packages?
I sure hope so as all these expensive boxsets are going to send me to the poor house.

peter

SH replied:

Dear Peter,
I believe they will be just part of the box set, but I don't know about down the line.
I'm glad you enjoy the music and Steven has done great surround versions.
Best,
Steve

Sent from my iPad

Now THAT is how you write and send a good question. Well done, laddie!
Based on the track listing that we have seen, I think it's plausible that UMe might release CD/DVD versions of "Please Don't Touch" and "Spectral Mornings", with the CDs being the Steven Wilson remixes and the DVDs as above. There definitely should be standalone HFPA Blu-Ray versions of these two titles, and I will enquire about it on HFPA's Facebook page. :)

Back