Steve Hackett back catalog in surround

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now THAT is how you write and send a good question. Well done, laddie!
Based on the track listing that we have seen, I think it's plausible that UMe might release CD/DVD versions of "Please Don't Touch" and "Spectral Mornings", with the CDs being the Steven Wilson remixes and the DVDs as above. There definitely should be standalone HFPA Blu-Ray versions of these two titles, and I will enquire about it on HFPA's Facebook page. :)

I wonder if the DVDs in the box will be "-V" or "-A"..

Here's hoping peterzach's reply from Steve does indeed manage to get universal to release separate cd/dvd or bluray copies.Don't want to jump on board for a box set at that price.And I'd hate to see universal continue with an upcoming Roxy Music box set!!

Here's hoping peterzach's reply from Steve does indeed manage to get universal to release separate cd/dvd or bluray copies.Don't want to jump on board for a box set at that price.And I'd hate to see universal continue with an upcoming Roxy Music box set!!

Concerning Roxy Music, I think there will definitely be a stand-alone HFPA Blu-Ray version along with a Super Deluxe Box with DVD-A.
Similar configurations to the Tears for Fears and Simple Minds reissues.

As for Hackett, I would love HFPA Blu-Ray versions of at least "Please Don't Touch" and "Spectral Mornings", but maybe CD/DVD-A editions (like the Rick Wakeman reissues) are more likely. Hard to say, but I do hope that the era of the big box set exclusives is over! :)

I'm not a fan of the big stupid boxes stuffed with unwanted stuff.. but I don't have any of these albums on CD so on this occasion I'm in for the big but not stupid box stuffed with things I want! :ugham:

I'm not a fan of the big stupid boxes stuffed with unwanted stuff.. but I don't have any of these albums on CD so on this occasion I'm in for the big but not stupid box stuffed with things I want! :ugham:

Exactly. Based on the track listing, this box definitely has a lot of value to it for me. I'm just not sure yet if the price justifies the purchase, especially with so many other things looming on the horizon.
But hope springs eternal! :)

Listened to "Please Don't Touch" all the way through again on the way home from work and dinner tonight, and every time I listen to it, I get more and more excited about hearing it in discrete 5.1 surround!

One thing struck me about it however, and that was how out of place "Hoping Love Will Last" seemed to be in comparison to the rest of the material.
Don't get me wrong. I think it's a great song, and Randy Crawford's vocal on it is stellar, but it just doesn't seem to fit with the rest of the songs IMO.

One track that keeps rising up for me is (the appropriately titled) "Icarus Ascending".
The music combined with Richie Havens' vocal is chilling!

Besides anything from Roxy Music, this is now my most anticipated SW surround mix for the remainder of the year! (so far…) :)

Also a preview of the DVDs with the videos:

How Can I:
[video=youtube;YQfg5K9ut2k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQfg5K9ut2k[/video]

And 'Clocks':
[video=youtube;z5eEXbGUPCk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5eEXbGUPCk[/video]

(Wonder who chose that song to make a video? Seems like an odd choice as it's not really that commercial at all…)

Listened to "Please Don't Touch" all the way through again on the way home from work and dinner tonight, and every time I listen to it, I get more and more excited about hearing it in discrete 5.1 surround!

One thing struck me about it however, and that was how out of place "Hoping Love Will Last" seemed to be in comparison to the rest of the material.
Don't get me wrong. I think it's a great song, and Randy Crawford's vocal on it is stellar, but it just doesn't seem to fit with the rest of the songs IMO.

One track that keeps rising up for me is (the appropriately titled) "Icarus Ascending".
The music combined with Richie Havens' vocal is chilling!

Besides anything from Roxy Music, this is now my most anticipated SW surround mix for the remainder of the year! (so far…) :)

Please Don't Touch is an amazing album, and I'm looking forward to this one in 5.1 too. Its always been my favourite Hackett album, even though Voyage I would say is his most Genesis like. Please Don't Touch is just full of incredible varied songs, also I think when I first heard it I was going through a massive Kansas faze, which helped!

I'm convincing myself to buy this box, even though I don't as a rule do massive boxes. This one isn't like Aqualung, Brain Salad Surgery or the Floyd ones for me, i.e. including unwanted items like vinyl (or marbles), I'm looking at it as paying for 4 very much wanted 5.1 discs, plus some albums I don't have on cd, plus some live stuff as a bonus.

A little more info from Steven Wilson's Remixes page:

Further information on STEVE HACKETT: PREMONITIONS - CHARISMA RECORDINGS: 1975-1983 has emerged from Universal Music Group.
This will be a 10CD+4DVD box set featuring all 6 studio albums, b-sides, plus a wealth of previously unavailable recordings. Over half the content of the box set is previously unreleased. The set was curated and compiled by Mark Powell who also contributes a new essay to the accompanying book drawn from interviews conducted with Steve Hackett. My involvement was to remix Please Don’t Touch and Spectral Mornings in stereo and 5.1 surround sound (please note that due to missing multitrack tapes DVDs 3+4 are upmixes created from the original stereo masters, I did not remix these albums).
CDs 1-4 include the original mixes of the 6 albums that Steve recorded for Charisma Records between 1975-83.
CDs 5-8 feature concert and BBC recordings.
CDs 9-10 includes new stereo mixes of Please Don’t Touch and Spectral Mornings.
DVDs 1-2 includes 5.1 surround sound mixes of Please Don’t Touch and Spectral Mornings, 2 promotional videos, and the new stereo mixes in 96/24.
DVDs 3-4 includes surround sound upmixes of Voyage of the Acolyte and Defector.

He doesn't say whether the DVDs are DVD-A/V or not. Hopefully so!

Here's a update Steve Hackett put on hackettsongs site,check the link couple of nice pics:

http://www.hackettsongs.com/blog/steve152.html

"Hard on the heels of Wolflight (thanks to all for receiving it so enthusiastically) retrospectives are in the air... A comprehensive box set of the Charisma Years 1975 - 1983 entitled Premonitions, which contains my first six albums plus several live shows and rarities. Some of the studio work has been remixed by clever pal Steven Wilson both in surround and stereo, plus original John Acock mixes. The project is planned to come out in October via Universal under the auspices of Mark Powell who has been campaigning for this for quite some time. Due to his tenacity the whole thing has coalesced into quite a project.

The Wilson surrounds I've so far heard are spectacular. The lushness suits much of that material. Strange orchestras led by koto sound wonderfully otherworldly. Chester Thompson's percussion on Please Don't Touch at times sounds like the dead breaking out of coffins to reclaim the cobblestone streets...

For me it's a treasure trove from a padlocked chest found in an old attic.

Premonitions was my original title idea for Voyage of the Acolyte. This was the point my Genesis afterlife began. Even though I was initially still in the band, I was starting to captain my own ship. Once the floodgates were opened, there was no turning back.

It's like viewing a garden of unearthly delights brought back to life with deeper and richer colours..."

Thanks Peter! I placed an order. So that's $118.94 shipped to US. Hopefully it will come down again before the release.

I'm still hopeful as well that there will be other buying options besides the big box set.

CD/DVD-A versions of "Please Don't Touch" and "Spectral Mornings" would be a great option if the CDs contained the new stereo mixes (CDs 9 & 10 in the box)
HFPA Blu-Ray versions of both titles would also be great too!

I'm not really in favor of separate releases of "Voyage of the Acolyte" and "Defector" since they are upmixes.

Back