Steve Hackett back catalog in surround

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
$120.00 for 4 surround discs and extra discs (stereo) ain't too bad, if that is the price I would pay.

It's getting more affordable for me.

Thanx

11139368_10153043519993590_785103333691687700_n.jpg

Here's a picture of the box set artwork signed by Steve and designer Roger Dean.

Also a little more info attached to this picture from Steve's Facebook page:
More news on the box set of my first six albums 'Premonitions'... It will include many special Armando Gallo photos from those early years, and the incredibly beautiful cover painting is by Roger Dean.

Honestly I don't like the cover art very much at all.
Roger Dean's artwork is so synonymous with Yes that this just looks like a Yes cover to me and not a Steve or Genesis-related album cover.
Oh well, it is the content that really matters, and we have 2 excellent stereo and surround remixes to look forward to! :)

Another article about the forthcoming Steve Hackett box:

http://prog.teamrock.com/news/2015-07-09/steve-hackett-premonitions-14-disc-box-set-steven-wilson

Includes the comment:

His Charisma albums Please Don’t Touch and Spectral Mornings are to be re-released separately, along with Wilson remixes, next year.

That's good to know. I had figured that at least those two albums would be reissued separately given that they have true, discrete remixes (as opposed to the upmixes for the other two), but I wish they would be released at the same time as the box set.
I'm still not entirely sure if the box set is worth it as all I'm really interested in are the "Please Don't Touch" and "Spectral Mornings" remixed CDs & DVD-As (4 discs out of 14)
Not sure I'm that interested in the upmixes, but there's still time for my mind to be swayed one way or the other. :)

Really sad to hear that the tapes are lost for VOTA. :( That's the one...
I'd really like to hear the 24/96 master of the stereo mix though.

A few good things on the PDT album. Guess I wouldn't mind hearing a 5.1 mix of some of that. But VOTA is the one...

No more interested in upmixes than mp3's (or any other form of putting more distance between myself and the music).

If the only way to get a 24/96 copy of the stereo master for VOTA is a box with those later albums... no thanks then.

Man... Hate hearing news like that! The possibility for a surround mix and proper treatment finally comes to be and... tapes are gone. :(

Really sad to hear that the tapes are lost for VOTA. :( That's the one...
I'd really like to hear the 24/96 master of the stereo mix though.

A few good things on the PDT album. Guess I wouldn't mind hearing a 5.1 mix of some of that. But VOTA is the one...

No more interested in upmixes than mp3's
(or any other form of putting more distance between myself and the music).

If the only way to get a 24/96 copy of the stereo master for VOTA is a box with those later albums... no thanks then.

Man... Hate hearing news like that! The possibility for a surround mix and proper treatment finally comes to be and... tapes are gone. :(

I would not write upmixes off. I have dozens, many are MUCH better than most real 5.1 mixes.

I would agree, don't write it off until you hear it. The upmixes are at Red Book CD fidelity or better so 'mp3 level quality' typically does not enter into this.

Steven Wilson just wrote this on his remixes Facebook page:

Good news for anyone interested predominantly in the surround sound remixes of the Steve Hackett albums “Please Don’t Touch” and “Spectral Mornings”, and not so much in purchasing the complete 14 disc Premonitions box set.
The set covers all 6 of Steve’s albums for Charisma and various live recordings, but Universal Music Group have announced that they will also release stand alone expanded editions of these 2 albums later on, including my new mixes. They were the only ones that the master tapes could be located for to facilitate remixing into surround, but for what it’s worth in my humble opinion they also happen to be Steve’s finest albums of this era, both magnificently layered and strange-beautiful records that sound terrific in 5.1.
The Premonitions box set is released on 16th October. No confirmed release date for the stand alone editions at present, other than some time in 2016.

I hope this will mean HFPA Blu-Ray versions too! :)

81SGV-kCFLL._SL1500_.jpg

amazon.co.uk have a released a beautiful picture of the box set and its contents.
I'm starting to want this one more and more! :)

In case anyone's interested, I found out from Burning Shed this evening that they will be selling the "Premonitions" box on their web store. :)

Steve Hackett mentions here that the multitracks for "Cured" and "Highly Strung" were also missing, which explains why they were not remixed for this box set:

it: You've mentioned Premonitions. Is there a reason why Cured and Highly Strung have not been remixed?

Steve: Yes, because we could not find the multitracks for that. Those albums were released by Charisma and they had the multitracks, they may have lost them. Probably it happened when they were moved from Charisma to Virgin, then to EMI, now Universal. The multitracks have not surfaced yet. That's the way the cookie crumbles, but some have been remixed.

http://www.genesis-news.com/c-Steve...esis-The-tour-interview-August-2015-s594.html

Here's a new video interview with Steve on the "Premonitions" box set and more:

[video=youtube;vJET0x1dAMc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJET0x1dAMc&feature=youtu.be&t=305[/video]

:)

Ahhhh! Killing me with all these releases...especially those that get a bit pricey....not saying it's not worth it...just a lot of money....hard for me to not want this...

Ahhhh! Killing me with all these releases...especially those that get a bit pricey....not saying it's not worth it...just a lot of money....hard for me to not want this...

I agree it's a pricey set... I'm waiting for the individual releases of the 2 albums with SW surround mixes.

Back